The Diesel Stop banner

What size new battery do I need?

8K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  JimTJr 
#1 ·
The passenger side battery on my '02 with 49k went out this morning. It was starting to get weak over the last few days and this morning I had to jump it with my wifes car to get to work...It has the original Motorcraft with 750 CCA's. Do I have to go back with 750cca? The reason I ask is Sears has a Diehard with 700cca in the 65 battery group that I like, thanks for any replies.

#2 ·
Motorcraft Group 65 has 850 CCA IIRC. You will need to replace both batteries at the same time. Lots of folks replace OEM with Motorcraft due to ready availability and long warranty. Similar batteries can be found at Walmart for $59. I went with Optima commercial Yellow tops but it requires modification of the battery trays, air intake etc.

#3 ·
I would replace them both since they are 4 years old, but if you replace only 1 they MUST be the same amps. If not the higher amp battery will boil the lesser battery.
Joe

#5 ·
Thanks for all you replies, I went back with the Motorcraft 750 cca, same as what was in there. If the factory installed batteries lasted 4 years, I'll give another set a try, I did replace both, makes a big difference when starting....

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The passenger side battery on my '02 with 49k went out this morning. It was starting to get weak over the last few days and this morning I had to jump it with my wifes car to get to work...It has the original Motorcraft with 750 CCA's. Do I have to go back with 750cca? The reason I ask is Sears has a Diehard with 700cca in the 65 battery group that I like, thanks for any replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diehard isn't what it use to be, so don't get stuck on them. I would buy the Motorcraft first. AutoZone Duralast was rating number one by consumer reports. That surprised me but I have never tried one.

You want the highest COLD Cracking Amp battery that will fit in the battery tray.

The more reserve you have, the less drain on the battery when starting, less drain on the battery = less stress on the alternator to recharge the bigger battery, that used less of its reserve, so it takes less to recharge.

Wayne B

#7 ·
So the $189 Die Hard Platinum is probably just throwing money down the drain?

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Diehard isn't what it use to be, so don't get stuck on them. I would buy the Motorcraft first. AutoZone Duralast was rating number one by consumer reports. That surprised me but I have never tried one.

You want the highest COLD Cracking Amp battery that will fit in the battery tray.

The more reserve you have, the less drain on the battery when starting, less drain on the battery = less stress on the alternator to recharge the bigger battery, that used less of its reserve, so it takes less to recharge.

Wayne B

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of that battery measure before...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#9 ·
You need the "series 65" Battery. I had the "Motorcaft MAXs" in my 99. Got them at O'Rileys auto parts. I think they were awesome, 109 month warranty, and 4 yr FREE replacement I THINK,, It was better than any other warranty I ever saw in batts before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.