The Diesel Stop banner

What is a good brand of brake fluid for my superduty and what quantity?

31K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Pappy19 
#1 ·
I thought there was a fluid that many people were switching to. I need to do my car, which requires dot 4 and the truck which is dot 3. Any suggestions? Thanks

#3 ·
I have used the Valvoline SynPower Brake fluid. Exceeds DOT 3 and 4 specs. Doesn't spec quite as high as the fluid linked above (The valvoline is 480F Dry and Minimum 330F Wet) But Its available locally for a little less than half the money, about 5 and change a quart IIRC.Since either fluid is going to absorb moistureand slowly degrade the performance, you can change the valvoline almost twice as often for the same money. I try to shoot for every two years.

In terms of how much fluid a quart for each should do it. Suck as much as you can out of the master cylinder reservoir. On My Ford I pulled the the little foam float out to get a tube in there for the mighty vac. almost got it empty. Fill with fresh and bleed till its clear. I usually go around twice and burn a little extra fluid to make sure I got all the old stuff out. With a mighty vac you can bleed solo.

#4 ·
When I flushed my 99 it took almost 2.5 quarts to get the fluid to go clear at all 4 corners.

I used castrol. I don't really think it matters what brand so long as the spec is right.

#5 ·
I second the recomendation for the ATE SUPER BLUE/TYP200.

"Racers frequently will alternate fluid flushes using both the SuperBlue and TYP 200 (Amber). The identical specifications of the fluid and difference in color makes it easy to know when you have completely flushed old fluid out of the system."

This works fabalously by the way. Reason enough to order a case of each. I use about 2 qts per flush with my 350.

#6 ·
I've used both Valvoline SynPower and ATE SuperBlue/Type 200 in my racecar and street vehicles. They are both excellent fluids. Also, Ford makes a very good brake fluid - Ford HD. Though not as robust now as it used to be, it is still a good product.

I will use Valvoline when I flush the fluid in our 2004 PSD, mainly because of availability and cost. Plus, I don't have to worry about boiling fluid while late-braking into the hairpin at Sebring when I'm driving the truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

#7 ·
I also used the Valvoline and it took 3 quarts for a complete flush.

#8 ·
I used the superblue racing fluid and my motive product power bleeder for the first time and they seem like a beautiful combo. I also bought the amber fluid for the next flush. This way I can switch colors and easily know when new fluid is in. I bought it from bavarian auto www.bavauto.com It is a bmw site but they will match all prices and they matched the 9.95 a bottle price without having to buy a case. So if you want to save 2 bucks a bottle on smaller quantities, try bavarian. Thanks for the help.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.