***NOTICE*** New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions Discussion of TheDieselStop.Com itself. What do you like or don't like, kudos and complaints, comments and suggestions.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread

Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for TheDieselStop.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join TheDieselStop.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "TheDieselStop.com Classic".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Rig, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com - Manage My Garage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your TheDieselStop.com Team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:45 PM
RT

Very impressive. The new layout is much easier to read, yet you left enough of the organization alone to allow a sense of familiarity. Well done!
AG Jeff likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Very impressive. The new layout is much easier to read, yet you left enough of the organization alone to allow a sense of familiarity. Well done!
@RT - thanks and let us know if you have any questions.

Jeff

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
BUMP for more feedback...

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager
AutoGuide.com

If you need Admin assistance please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:31 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It does seem to load threads a tiny bit faster on my dumb phone (iPhone 5s). I'll have to check it out using my surface rt when I get home.
AG Jeff likes this.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:32 PM

New site - yuck. Certainly doesn't load any faster on my computer. Harder to navigate. Yuck!
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillippeterson View Post
New site - yuck. Certainly doesn't load any faster on my computer. Harder to navigate. Yuck!
Any questions?

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager
AutoGuide.com

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:27 PM

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
They should of told you that you could also go into your user account or CP and then to Edit Options and select TheDieselStop Classic on the Skin box and it will go back to what it was.

As for my opinion on the appearance is that it is like all forums, if we have to we will get used to it once we figure it out. I prefer the old forums and have gone back to the Classic Skin on mine.

Time will tell on what people like.
AG Jeff likes this.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:34 PM

My Photos: (7)
New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread

Now that I'm looking at it on my tablet, I can't say that I like it. But I will give it a try for a while, if I don't get used to it at least i have options like bugman said.
AG Jeff likes this.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message

Last edited by chuckster57; 10-19-2015 at 11:07 PM.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:52 PM

My Photos: (1)
Not a fan of the color scheme. I have figured out how to change font colors on some things but not a way to change the headers and borders.
I don't find the colors an easy read.

2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 136K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 147K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
2002 F350 CC DRW flatbed (originally pickup bedded) rebuilt & upgraded 4R100
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 164K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 241K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 146K, Stuff breaking all the time that would last twice as long on a Kia or Hyundai, sad. Drives great though.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:03 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
As a website administrator myself I can understand the effort made in updating your forums. You did a nice job and it needed to be done. As for change, different people will react in their own way, good bad or indifferent. Give the change a little time to get used to it and I am sure that the naysayers will come around and renew some familiarity.
AG Jeff likes this.

Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:23 AM

how is this better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Jeff View Post
Any questions?

Jeff
Before I go back to the classic, tell me how this is any better?

In the classic way I could go to the last new post of a thread. Can I do that here?
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Chevron?

Quote:
Any questions?

Jeff
What does the "Chevron?" symbol in the LAST POST section mean? I've seen the symbol pointing to the right and pointing down.

Is there a legend somewhere explaining the symbols?
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Community Manager/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Before I go back to the classic, tell me how this is any better?

In the classic way I could go to the last new post of a thread. Can I do that here?
There is a Chervron or downward facing arrow that should bring you to the last unread post in the thread.

Quote:
What does the "Chevron?" symbol in the LAST POST section mean? I've seen the symbol pointing to the right and pointing down.

Is there a legend somewhere explaining the symbols?
Here is a image of the legend at the bottom of the forum page view.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-20_1100.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	80738  

Jeff
Community Manager
AutoGuide.com

post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
There is a Chervron or downward facing arrow that should bring you to the last unread post in the thread.

Here is a image of the legend at the bottom of the forum page view.

Jeff
What does the Chevron pointed to the right mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > General Discussion > News, Comments, Site Help and Suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.