The Diesel Stop banner

Truck of the month

11K views 75 replies 13 participants last post by  Administrator 
#1 ·
Why is this not happening any more?
Can we re-start it?

#3 ·
I like the idea, it is just for fun. Come on guys, roger up so we can get this up again!

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I just like the idea, I think it is something interesting and fun that could add value to the site.

#6 ·
definitely! we do this same thing on a chopper forum that I'm part of and its great! you get to see how other people like to customize their rides and gives you ideas and thoughts

#7 ·
The problem seems to be that there was a lack of interest the last time this was held. It's not looking too much better at this time with only three responders here :(

We'll leave this open for the weekend, hopefully some more people are online and see this and chime in. If there is more of a push for it, we'll see that we at least try it again once.

Dayle

#9 ·
I think if we can get the attention of all those new people jointing TDS that will be a really good start. Is there any possibility to have something on the main page that will attract attention? Maybe just over the "Most popular discussion". Something like "TDS RIG OF THE MONTH".....

Yeah, I remember the last let's get it started again thread. That time we talked about getting sponsors to pony up prizes or a TDS T-shirt. I don't really see this going very far again, but one can hope :smile2:
From that thread we need to contact some sponsors and see if they are willing to give away some gift card.

Dayle, I know that when we start talking about money everything get more complicated but do you think that it will be possible to get a TDS T-shirt for the winner of each month? also if we get some sponsor on board with the gift card idea, is there any chance that TDS mach up the amount or half the amount..... Example 50$ gift card from X sponsors will TDS match the 50$ for a total of 100$? or half for a total of 75$ (we don't want to ruin TDS :grin2:)

#8 ·
Yeah, I remember the last let's get it started again thread. That time we talked about getting sponsors to pony up prizes or a TDS T-shirt. I don't really see this going very far again, but one can hope :smile2:

#10 ·
#11 ·
Even if it is just for fun it would still be fun. Just doing it for fun does not cost anything, so why not do it?

#12 ·
Yes gentlemen, let's do it again !!!!!

#17 ·
The more we talk about it the more people will be aware of it. I do not know how everyone else navigates this forum, but I always go to the "New Posts" tab and look at the stuff from the last day, and if we keep talking about this it will always show up in that area.

Reactions: yan7gin
#19 ·
Sweet, so are we going to start this with February, or March?

#21 ·
Cool, I did not know how you did it, if you voted during the month and awarded it at the end of the month, or you voted in advance.

#23 ·
Help get the word out then, so we can get this rolling.

#25 ·
Awesome

#26 ·
I'm in too...but I'm pretty sure it won't last. There seems to be a lot less activity here, ever since the "password change" that happened a while back. I think it will the same few people that participate, and will get boring in short time.

Just being honest here...prove me wrong.

Andy.

#28 ·
FYI, we have some upgrades to make to the site this week. This is part of getting the home page upgraded and running with content pushed from the news as well as ROTM section. This has tossed a minor delay into us setting up the home page. We should have this all completed before the end of next week.
-Philip

#29 ·
Thanks for everything you do to make this site what it is.

#30 ·
Some ideas that might help,... just thinking out loud...

Maybe I'm wrong but IIRC, the past ROTM was only outside shots of the truck showing wheels tires lifts, etc...some of us have spend a lot of time and effort on the inside too, some spent time with visual changes under the hood. Is there a way that it can be optional so if the submitter chooses, it can be an outside, under hood, interior... whatever shows the best mods on the truck? I think one outside shot should be mandatory but maybe a max of 2 or 3 more pics to allow under hood or interior are allowed?

Liek actual car shows, maybe group similar type trucks together, there are categories but only one category gets selected per month for voting. Off Road, Street Scene, Over the Road, "General Working Class Hero", or something like that.

So the owner submits his truck for the category(s) (max 2 categories maybe?) he chooses then the Admin decides based on #'s entries that month or the last time the category was voted on, which category to post up for voting.

I don't think anyone wants to keep resubmitting their pics every month. So when submitting the user should note: " please save for future months". So if he doesn't win that month, Admin saves the entry and posts it up the next time they select that category. Maybe a PM goes out to the owners once the category has been chosen for the month saying they have a submission in waiting and that their ride will be used again that month and they are to reply to the PM with "OK". That keeps from having "post and run" new users having their truck entered again when they aren't even coming to the site any more.

#31 ·
Phil,

Ya totally agree with you. It comes back to my post #4. Would be nice to get different categories each month

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
Well if it does get started back up, I'll have more to do getting the beast ready for photo ops.

#33 ·
From what I remembered seeing when it was running was that there were only a few that participated in it and it turned into a beauty pageant for trucks.

It is a a lot like another forum that I am on. A member ran a calandar picture contest and then omitted all the OBS trucks. His reasoning is who wants to look at a 20 year old truck that has been used as a truck and not a grocery getter.

#35 ·
I agree with you, I believe that is what happened in the past and kept the audience very narrow. I for one LOVE the OBS trucks and that's why I would like to see some creative categories to focus on different aspects of what makes a truck so special to it's owner. Maybe one month, a special edition of the contest is not about the truck but the mod. Post up your best low budget mod and we vote on what mod we like the best as far as cost versus what the mod does.

The guy that buys a new one every 3 years and never lifts the hood may not be interested in the old stuff and that's fine, some months will be of little interest to him but the guys that work their trucks hard and don't keep them shiny should finally be able to take an interest in the contest on certain months...

You never know either, just cause a guy gets a new truck every couple years is no guarantee he's not interested in the old stuff, he may just be short on time or a place to fix an older truck so likes to stay current. I was in that boat when I was flipping trucks every 3 years or less. My truck had to be ready for a 3000 mile trip on short notice and could not be leaving me on the side of the road during the trip, my schedule was tight back then. Still loved the old stuff tho....now I'm driving my last new purchase and it will turn 10 this April. Still doing the long trips but more on my schedule as opposed to a dictated schedule and you know what? I'm having more fun with with this truck than any of the new ones I was driving.

#34 ·
I'd be interested in this as well. I'm here everyday.

#36 ·
I like the ideas being thrown out there, I hope we can get this up and going soon. I guess it will be time soon to wash my truck and take some good pics of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.