EPA goes after SCT - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EPA goes after SCT

I'm sure some of you on other sites may have already seen this but for others that haven't.

Important Notice from SCT Performance

IMPORTANT SCT Dealer News November 9th, 2011
RE: SCT Off-Road Diesel Programmers

Dear SCT Customer,
We regret to inform you that, effective immediately, SCT will no longer be offering for sale any of the following SCT products:
9625OR
9621OR
3025OR
3067OR
4067OR
4416OR

3416LMMOR
8900OR
4015OR
8967OR
ORTUNE

Our decision to discontinue these products is based on recent statements made by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regarding diesel performance products intended solely for racing/off-road use. The EPA and CARB have taken the position that the manufacturer of such products is solely responsible for the proper use of those products by the end-user. Despite our best efforts to carefully develop and implement procedures designed to ensure that each purchaser of our off-road/race-only products is aware of his or her legal obligations and promises to use those products in a lawful manner, as of this time we have not been able to gain satisfactory assurance that such measures will be considered adequate by the EPA and CARB. Consequently, we have chosen to withdraw our off-road/race-only products from the marketplace until we are able to verify that the sale of those products can be achieved in a manner that satisfies EPA’s and CARB’s concerns.

We will continue to monitor developments with regard to applicable federal and state legal requirements. If and when we are able to re-introduce these products into the marketplace in a manner that definitively meets all EPA and CARB requirements, we will do so. In the meantime, we trust that you will understand the basis for our decision.

Thank you for your continued support.
Regards,

Rick Trudo, President - SCT Performance, LLC.

'08 F250 6.4L Lariat 4x4 CC/SRW fully loaded, special ordered
6" Fabtech 2.25 dual shock lift w/18" AR wheels, 35" Toyo AT
Avic-Z2 (Z3 Mod) Nav/Stereo w/iPod, Bluetooth, XM NavTraffic
(2) Rear headrest mnt DVD entertainment systems
Line-X bedliner
Banks CAI, Dual Exhaust, 6-Gun, Speed Brake & iQ (test vehicle)
Bushwacker Fender Flares (color matched)
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
smotrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I called around, they are still available, guessing whatever is leftover they are not pulling off the shelf, but once the last one is sold there will be no more for now
PaulBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hopefully that doesn't hurt them the way it did Casper and Cummins. EPA forced them to do a mandatory buyback of all devices sold.

Line-X bedliner

Quote:
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

HELLLLL-OOOOOO
what's legal about a tuner that smogs our air????
thanks epa, its what i pay you for!
some of you are not old enough to remember what the air in New Orleans looked like 10-15 years ago
THANKS EPA!

Last edited by RDG; 11-13-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: remark removed
frank faucheux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank faucheux View Post
HELLLLL-OOOOOO
what's legal about a tuner that smogs our air????
thanks epa, its what i pay you for!
some of you are not old enough to remember what the air in New Orleans looked like 10-15 years ago
THANKS EPA!
small penis syndrome can be destructive to our environment
To you who say stop the building to protect the environment, I say live homeless awhile. If you think autos create smog, walk. But don't infringe on my rights. Maybe you are not old enough to remember what New Orleans looked like before the Core goofed it up. I am not against help keeping the environment clean for the next generation, just against selective enforcement. I am old enough to remember what this Country was like when our money was spent here. We could do a lot of clean up if we stopped all the aid and military to other Country. If they really wanted to clean up they would stop protecting the oil and perfect the hydro car, or some other free form of energy. In the meantime I will make my own well informed decisions.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
To you who say stop the building to protect the environment, I say live homeless awhile. If you think autos create smog, walk. But don't infringe on my rights. Maybe you are not old enough to remember what New Orleans looked like before the Core goofed it up. I am not against help keeping the environment clean for the next generation, just against selective enforcement. I am old enough to remember what this Country was like when our money was spent here. We could do a lot of clean up if we stopped all the aid and military to other Country. If they really wanted to clean up they would stop protecting the oil and perfect the hydro car, or some other free form of energy. In the meantime I will make my own well informed decisions.

Agreed but EPA is not allowed to consider the other things government does when enforcing the law.
checkthisout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!! THANK YOU

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Louisiana Powerstroke Owners

7.3-6.7 info file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
I agree with ff & like ctout says..this one can get off topic fast. One may/maynot agree, but try to focus on intent of epa/carb. notice. Not familiar with SCT parts listed. Assume they change emissions regardless of where used, on/off road. If so, dosen't surprise me. Why...

Obviously going after source (mfg) to cut supply is epa intentions. CYA policy by mfg. who say "product for off road use only" & "not street legal" has always been phoney if u think about it. You have X # off road vehicles (no smog inspections). X # legal OTR vehicles who mod/alter & delete oem smog equipt because no smog inspections where they live. Ah, changing times for sure. Next...
Old 11-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT View Post
Obviously going after source (mfg) to cut supply is epa intentions. CYA policy by mfg. who say "product for off road use only" & "not street legal" has always been phoney if u think about it. You have X # off road vehicles (no smog inspections). X # legal OTR vehicles who mod/alter & delete oem smog equipt because no smog inspections where they live. Ah, changing times for sure. Next...
Yeah, but one has to wonder how they picked SCT to start with..rolled a set of dice? They aren't the only ones that sell off road only tuners.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would not be surprised if they go after other manufactors if this proves to be successful.

DPF on tunes will be all that is left. Those like Banks that pride themselves with the clean tunes will have quite a bit of business then.

We shall see.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Yeah, but one has to wonder how they picked SCT to start with..rolled a set of dice? They aren't the only ones that sell off road only tuners.
They didn't. This same thing or very similar happened already to Edge/Superchips several months ago. SCT just happens to be the latest one.

Could also be related to business size. Edge/Superchips have been around a long time and also have EPA compliant devices. Same goes for SCT. Where as Spartan recently came on the scene only when the DPF vehicles came out. I suspect H&S could be next on the list. But who knows.

The bigger question is, how far will they take it? Will it simply be a stop selling them situation or will it be a mandatory buyback like Casper and Cummins of years ago?

Line-X bedliner

Quote:

Last edited by smotrs; 11-14-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

No one is saying to stop Building!
I'm just for doing it within the regulations that protect the environment.
take a look at over-the road haulers they are following regulations and the trucking industry has nat slowed
plain and simply, undoing emissions reducttion configurations is against the law
Old New Orleans like many other big cities had unbreathable air 20 years ago, air quality in some big cities has improved drastically since emissions requirements have changed. if all of the diesel pickups on the road today smoked like the '92 cummins, you would not want to live in or near any big city.
sorry but i believe the only way for us to keep our diesel trucks is to clean up the exhaust gas
frank faucheux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yes, and how about all those Mexican trucks coming into the States. They have no emmisions regulations what so ever. All those young guys that brag about blowing smoke are sure not helping the cause.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.