New Alaska Oil find? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em Horns!
New Alaska Oil find?

NEW Oil discovery in Swanson River Field, 5 times the size of Prudehoe Bay.
YouTube - Lindsey Williams_ NEW Oil discovery in Swanson River Field!!

2006 Chev 6.0L/4L80e 3500WT DRW Ex-Cab 9'Flat-GN
A/T Revos
Use-ta-Haves
2005 Chev Duramax/Allison 3500LS DRW CCLB
2002 Chev Duramax/Allison 3500LS DRW CCLB

DON'T STEAL! The Government Hates Competition
Hook'em Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lindsey is interesting but im not sure he is bangin on all 8 cylinders.

P.S. If you want the oil out of alaska then write your congressman. Our hands are tied up here. We all want the oil drilled but they have it locked up. Im fairly certain that over 90% of alaskans are in support of drilling anwr. I think the last statistic I read was 95% of the state is still pristine and untouched. In states where half the state is developed it makes sense to shut down certain areas to exploration or development of any kind. Here I just really dont see it applying. The governer has stated that the land alotment we need out of anwr is smaller than o'hare airport to get the oil flowing. We need at least 5 years to get the oil to market so if you want it you better say something now. For those that dont know alaska is more than twice the size of Texas and less than 5% is developed. Anwr is so big it is larger than 10 states.

Last edited by BigDaddyT; 07-09-2008 at 11:51 PM.
BigDaddyT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yup, I looked up swanson river and it was the first oil field drilled in alaska. They are shutting down production of oil, because it is producing so little, and switching to gas production. Im sure if they could get a drop of oil outta the wells there at 140 dollars a barrel they could find a reason to get it to market. They could conceal how much it was actually holding all they wanted but they would still be delivering oil.

Im fairly certain that lindsey is insane but he is fun to listen to being a conspiracy theorist myself. Just make sure you dont go around quoting anything he says.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bockhold
YYYYEAAAAAAAAAA. k now we need to part way through the democrats and tree huggers to get this started and get it fast!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

YouTube - Update on 'Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less.'
Need 3 million signatures if you want to see anwr tapped.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bockhold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyT View Post
YouTube - Update on 'Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less.'
Need 3 million signatures if you want to see anwr tapped.
Sadly true.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Jay Leno stated it better than I can. YouTube - Jay Leno on Oil Drilling in ANWR
Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
Sadly true.
Did you "happily" sign the petition then?

'95 F-250 SC/LWB, 7.3L, E4OD, 4:11LS, 2WD

IDM Mod, HPX, DIY Intake

Rebuilt Fuel Canister 7/29/12 - 152k (Heater Removed, 4-40 screw, new IPR pigtail, WIF temp. disconnected)
4micaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Shouldn't we use up all the oil in the rest of the world first before we use our own reserves? Just a thought.
Actually I think we should invest in algae fuel production to have some sort of renewable fuel instead of drilling all over the place and sending money overseas.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

We WILL BE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcider View Post
Shouldn't we use up all the oil in the rest of the world first before we use our own reserves? Just a thought.
Actually I think we should invest in algae fuel production to have some sort of renewable fuel instead of drilling all over the place and sending money overseas.
Driving with algae-bio-diesel in less than 10 years and it will be a major source of our power!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Nah Roof. We going to plugin hybrids. Maybe biomass fuels in our plug ins but moving off of oil and onto coal or nuclear power plants instead of our blood oil from the middle east.

P.S. anyone read Nostrodamus at all?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyT View Post
Nah Roof. We going to plugin hybrids. Maybe biomass fuels in our plug ins but moving off of oil and onto coal or nuclear power plants instead of our blood oil from the middle east.

P.S. anyone read Nostrodamus at all?
Nah, he was a quack.

Nuclear proponents NEVER seem to mention that dirty little secret kept in the closet, waste storage is at capacity and growing with just the small number online now.

Natural Gas fed Plants teamed with Algae production equal clean energy with little emissions. Oils from algae for Bio-Diesel, starch for ethanol, and protein makes cattle feed.
Clean Technology--GreenFuel: Introduction - Brightcove

Diesel Hybrids, the time is now and of course Electrics…
Renault / Project Better Place shows off new electric sedan prototype - Engadget

Nissan-Renault, Portugal sign deal to develop mass market for electric cars - International Herald Tribune

2006 Chev 6.0L/4L80e 3500WT DRW Ex-Cab 9'Flat-GN
A/T Revos
Use-ta-Haves
2005 Chev Duramax/Allison 3500LS DRW CCLB
2002 Chev Duramax/Allison 3500LS DRW CCLB

DON'T STEAL! The Government Hates Competition
Hook'em Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
Where do you get the electricity from to charge the electric cars?
DPTuner 40Tow, 60Tow, 80Econo, BTS Valve Body, AIS Intake, AIH Delete, MBRP Stainless 3.5" DP and 4" Exhaust, 5" All spring Edge lift, Rize Traction Bars, CV joint driveshaft, 315 BFG ATs on Alcoa wheels, Warn Transformer with multi mount winch power front and back, 1000 watt power inverter, VCR, 4.10 gears and ARB Lockers Front and Back
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well lets see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Where do you get the electricity from to charge the electric cars?
We are installing 6KW of solar on my house which can easily power the house during the day and also charge the car electrics.

We have presently a 56 KW unit our office that at this very second even though the sun is barely up producing 5KW. I can not give a direct link to the site because of TDS site rules. It has produced 74,631 KWH since the install.

Because of TDS rules and a secret agreement I signed with the partners I can not go into depth on solar-algae-bio-diesel but I can say that a unit is being built right now. It will use solar power to convert garbage to algae-biodiesel.

First, we need to realize that spark-ignition engines that run on gasoline are generally about 40% less efficient than diesel engines. So, if all spark-ignition engines are gradually replaced with compression-ignition (Diesel) engines for running biodiesel, we wouldn't need 120 billion gallons of biodiesel to replace that 120 billion gallons of gasoline. To be conservative, we will assume that the average gasoline engine is 35% less efficient, so we'd need 35% less diesel fuel to replace that gasoline.

I would like to point out though that a preferable scenario would include a shift to diesel-electric hybrid vehicles (preferably with the ability to be recharged and drive purely on electric power for a short range, perhaps 20-40 miles, to provide the option of zero emissions for in-city driving), and with far fewer people buying 6-8,000 pound SUVs merely to commute to work in by themselves. Those changes could drastically reduce the amount of fuel required for our automotive transportation, and are technologically feasibly currently (see for example Chrysler's Dodge Intrepid ESX3, built under Clinton's PNGV program - a full-size diesel electric hybrid sedan that averaged 72 mpg in mixed driving

NREL's research showed that one quad (7.5 billion gallons) of biodiesel could be produced from 200,000 hectares of desert land (200,000 hectares is equivalent to 780 square miles, roughly 500,000 acres.

The operating costs (including power consumption, labor, chemicals, and fixed capital costs (taxes, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, and return on investment) worked out to $12,000 per hectare. That would equate to $46.2 billion per year for all the algae farms, to yield all the oil feedstock necessary for the entire country. Compare that to the $100-150 billion the US spends each year just on purchasing crude oil from foreign countries, with all of that money leaving the US economy.

NOTE: Much of this is a quote from Michael Briggs professor at UNH and professor Briggs is working with our company and has given permission to post his findings. They are not copyrighted!

oil yeild from algae????

Comparison of average oil yields from algae with that from other oilseeds

The table below presents indicative oil yields from various oilseeds and algae. Please note that there are significant variations in yields even within an individual oilseed depending on where it is grown, the specific variety/grade of the plant etc. Similarly, for algae there are significant variations between oil yields from different strains of algae. The data presented below are indicative in nature, primarily to highlight the order-of-magnitude differences present in the oil yields from algae when compared with other oilseeds. ( see also: Vegetable Oils Yields & Characteristics – from Journey to Forever)

This in not going to happen tomorrow, it is at least 10 years down the road.

Yield of Various Plant Oils

Crop Oil in Liters per hectare

Castor 1413

Sunflower 952

Safflower 779

Palm 5950

Soy 446

Coconut 2689

Algae 100,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again::: This in not going to happen tomorrow, it is at least 10 years down the road.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofeditor View Post
We are installing 6KW of solar on my house which can easily power the house during the day and also charge the car electrics.

We have presently a 56 KW unit our office that at this very second even though the sun is barely up producing 5KW. I can not give a direct link to the site because of TDS site rules. It has produced 74,631 KWH since the install.

Because of TDS rules and a secret agreement I signed with the partners I can not go into depth on solar-algae-bio-diesel but I can say that a unit is being built right now. It will use solar power to convert garbage to algae-biodiesel.

First, we need to realize that spark-ignition engines that run on gasoline are generally about 40% less efficient than diesel engines. So, if all spark-ignition engines are gradually replaced with compression-ignition (Diesel) engines for running biodiesel, we wouldn't need 120 billion gallons of biodiesel to replace that 120 billion gallons of gasoline. To be conservative, we will assume that the average gasoline engine is 35% less efficient, so we'd need 35% less diesel fuel to replace that gasoline.

I would like to point out though that a preferable scenario would include a shift to diesel-electric hybrid vehicles (preferably with the ability to be recharged and drive purely on electric power for a short range, perhaps 20-40 miles, to provide the option of zero emissions for in-city driving), and with far fewer people buying 6-8,000 pound SUVs merely to commute to work in by themselves. Those changes could drastically reduce the amount of fuel required for our automotive transportation, and are technologically feasibly currently (see for example Chrysler's Dodge Intrepid ESX3, built under Clinton's PNGV program - a full-size diesel electric hybrid sedan that averaged 72 mpg in mixed driving

NREL's research showed that one quad (7.5 billion gallons) of biodiesel could be produced from 200,000 hectares of desert land (200,000 hectares is equivalent to 780 square miles, roughly 500,000 acres.

The operating costs (including power consumption, labor, chemicals, and fixed capital costs (taxes, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, and return on investment) worked out to $12,000 per hectare. That would equate to $46.2 billion per year for all the algae farms, to yield all the oil feedstock necessary for the entire country. Compare that to the $100-150 billion the US spends each year just on purchasing crude oil from foreign countries, with all of that money leaving the US economy.

NOTE: Much of this is a quote from Michael Briggs professor at UNH and professor Briggs is working with our company and has given permission to post his findings. They are not copyrighted!

oil yeild from algae????

Comparison of average oil yields from algae with that from other oilseeds

The table below presents indicative oil yields from various oilseeds and algae. Please note that there are significant variations in yields even within an individual oilseed depending on where it is grown, the specific variety/grade of the plant etc. Similarly, for algae there are significant variations between oil yields from different strains of algae. The data presented below are indicative in nature, primarily to highlight the order-of-magnitude differences present in the oil yields from algae when compared with other oilseeds. ( see also: Vegetable Oils Yields & Characteristics – from Journey to Forever)

This in not going to happen tomorrow, it is at least 10 years down the road.

Yield of Various Plant Oils

Crop Oil in Liters per hectare

Castor 1413

Sunflower 952

Safflower 779

Palm 5950

Soy 446

Coconut 2689

Algae 100,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again::: This in not going to happen tomorrow, it is at least 10 years down the road.

Great information and congrats on being part of the solution.

Questions:

Grand Coulee Dam irrigates about 500,000 acres of Farmland that is relatively flat that was once dry.

The pumps push about 4000 CFS of water 24 hours a day during irrigation season with about 1000 CFS making it back into the river downstream.

If we turned this area into one big algae lagoon, how would the water and fertilizer requirements change compared to normal farming?

This is Grand Coulee Dam. Generators run pumps that lift water up to fill the lake in the foreground and from there water is transported through canals, tunnels, relift pumps and passed throught more generators (to increase efficiency to irrigate the 500K acres. It can potentially irrigate 1 million?

checkthisout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.