Off-Road Diesel VS. Low Sulfur Highway Diesel(average diesel) - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Off-Topic Discussions This is the area for general banter/chat. There are rules for this section, please read the sticky post in the section before participating. Enter at your own risk as some posts in here may be NSFW

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Off-Road Diesel VS. Low Sulfur Highway Diesel(average diesel)

I was wondering if any of you knew the difference between off-road diesel and the regular stuff you put in. I saw that a place by my house sells the off-road kind and its about 40 cents cheaper. Thanks in advance

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide App
maxslights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
You don't pay taxes on off-road diesel since fuel taxes are supposedly earmarked for the roads. Other than that it's the same stuff.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only difference is the red dye they put in the off road stuff...It is sold at a lower price because it is meant for vehicles that are not operated on public roads. No road taxes is the reason for the lower price.

Can you run it in your truck..Sure can..Can you afford the fine if your caught?....Only you can decide.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does the dye stay in the fuel like if you go from 1/8 of a tank to a full tank with regular diesel.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxslights View Post
Does the dye stay in the fuel like if you go from 1/8 of a tank to a full tank with regular diesel.

I have never put the red stuff in so I can't say for sure, but it stands to reason that the dye will be diluted with the new undyed fuel. How many tanks of regular to make the dye not show up on the lawmans stick .I dunno
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy

Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I may be a little illiterate....what's a lawmans stick?? Haha

Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxslights View Post
I may be a little illiterate....what's a lawmans stick?? Haha

The piece of equipment that has some sort of absorbent material on the end, they shove it into your fuel tank through the fill hole and if it comes up red..YOU WIN!!!!! ( read lose.)

They call it dipping your tank. I have yet to see it or have it done to me. I think it is more common in farming areas of the country.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Same here. Never heard of this happening and not sure if it is a common appearance.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had tried thia once....i know its frowned upon. Any way i had put the offroad fuel in from a construction company that was moving and gettin rid of thier tank and my friend had the "dip stick"......it took about 4 tanks of on road diesel to get rid of the red traces in the fuel. Of course this was purely for testing purposes and wouldnt condone anyone doing this...........but those are my findings for whoever wants to know
Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I may have to try the test on some other diesel equip. First.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ps....it turns your fuel filters red also.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

One of the advantages of the un-taxed fuel in some instances is it still has the much higher sulpher content than the fuel for on road use. That sulpher has the beneficial side effect of greater lubrication to the fuel system components, benefiting the injectors and o-rings. However, in some parts of the country even the un-taxed/off-road fuel is now the ULSD.

I've heard reports of D.O.T. stopping all of the trucks on their way into the cattle auction and dipping the tanks; some guys had fines to pay.

A guy that I works with, so yes, this is a second hand story, told me that his uncle was getting on the interstate and based on the exhaust when he accelerated on the on-ramp an off-duty D.O.T. officer not even in his local patrol area had enough suspicion to call F.H.P. to have him pulled over. They made him pull his fuel filter in his 7.3. When it came out red, a fine was issued.

I have no idea how the color or smell of the exhaust could indicate dyed vs. non-dyed fuel, but he was caught and got a BIG fine.

Also, I know of several who run used transmission fluid as fuel in their on road diesels. The argument goes that so long as it's a "supplement" it does not need road taxes paid on it. Various arguments as to at what percentage it's no longer a "supplement." 5%? 50%? Anyway, I wonder if the onus would be on the operator to prove the red coloration is from ATF in the fuel rather than dye?

Truck: Tymar type intake, Zoo Dad, muffler delete, By-pass coolant filter, Dahl 100 fuel filter Harpoon & Hutch mod, upgrade to 3/8" fuel line and HP oil X-over, Oil by-pass, Scan gauge II.

Excursion: All stock, so far.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
One of the advantages of the un-taxed fuel in some instances is it still has the much higher sulpher content than the fuel for on road use. That sulpher has the beneficial side effect of greater lubrication to the fuel system components, benefiting the injectors and o-rings. However, in some parts of the country even the un-taxed/off-road fuel is now the ULSD.?
That is an extremely rare case. So rare, in fact, I doubt anybody in the public could stumble upon some. While still legal to manufacture for some very specific areas and industries the refiners are just not producing it. They've already installed the processes to remove the sulphur and it is too costly to segregate it from all the other products. Not to mention segregating it in the pipelines would be a nightmare. It will be illegal for all people in all industries w/in the next year anyway.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmac View Post
That is an extremely rare case. So rare, in fact, I doubt anybody in the public could stumble upon some. While still legal to manufacture for some very specific areas and industries the refiners are just not producing it. They've already installed the processes to remove the sulphur and it is too costly to segregate it from all the other products. Not to mention segregating it in the pipelines would be a nightmare. It will be illegal for all people in all industries w/in the next year anyway.

I based my statement in part on old information and in part on the sticker on the Off Road pump. I just took a picture of that sticker and it says "may contain up 500 ppm sulphur." The sticker appears to be old, so it may very well be ULSD that is actually coming out of the pump despite what the sticker says. Once you reminded me, I remembered the mandate that even Off Road/Ag Fuel be ULSD soon, although I don't remember the actual deadline. I'm sure China is just as concerned about the environment, but I digress...

I just found this: "Non-road diesel fuel was required to move to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and further to ULSD in 2010." which is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel so therefore, as dieselmac pointed out, Off Road fuel no longer has any lubricity benefits over taxed fuel. Mea Culpa.

Truck: Tymar type intake, Zoo Dad, muffler delete, By-pass coolant filter, Dahl 100 fuel filter Harpoon & Hutch mod, upgrade to 3/8" fuel line and HP oil X-over, Oil by-pass, Scan gauge II.

Excursion: All stock, so far.

Last edited by firemediceric; 07-22-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added Wiki info
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

off road diesel

There is a big difference in the fuel, but as someone else said, the refineries put in the ULSD units and most red fuel is USLD dyes, and real off road is hard to get. ORLM (off road locomotive and marine) is the official name, it is up to 500 ppm of sulphur and ULSD ( ultra low sulfur diesel) is 15 ppm or less. Not only does the sulfur lube everything nicely, it makes bunches of BTU ( read horsepower and mileage), that is why the railroads and towboats got to keep it!

Yes, stops are very painful, they drop a clear tube down the tank and if comes up red, you're busted. And, if you are a business, or incorporated they can check your fuel records for 2 yrs back!

However, if your the guy driving your truck for personal use, well....its your money. Yes, the dye does take a long time to go away... One gallon of dye does 425,000 gallons of fuel......but that power and price sure is tempting!
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.