The Diesel Stop banner

1999 International DT444 Problems

19K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DonWarkentin 
#1 ·
I know this is not a Ford, but it looks like there is ALOT of smart people on here... maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

What I have... 1999 International Bus. It is used by my brothers church group. It has 239k miles on it. They tow a small trailer with some bleachers (for a chior) and a bunch of sound equipment. The bus seems to be ok when it is empty, but once it is loaded and has the trailer on back, it won't get out of its own way.

Here are the codes that are stored (read with an OTC Genysis scanner)...

Scanner also shows 8 psi of backpressure at idle.

The scanner shows it is set a 190hp.

Problems:

The gauges sometimes do not work.

It overheats when loaded, even when on a flat road.

It was nearly impossible to start when it was cold out. It is better now that it is warmer out (I am in Michigan).

It has a new Cam Sensor.

I am an ASE technician, but I really just deal with cars. I know the diesel basics, but am definately not an expert.

A couple questions...

1. Is there a place to get International service information (DTCs, etc)
2. Is there a way to increase the power on this engine?
3. Is there a place I can get a good maintence schedule for a diesel?
4. Suggestions on what to check with the above listed codes and sympoms.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give...

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as more technical info on the codes, I can't help you, but if you get slow responses here in the medium duty forum, you might sneak over to the '99 and up powerstroke forum. I would think that you could mod the engine just like any other 7.3 PSD but again, a question for the experts on the other forum.

Hard starting when it's cold out will probably be glow plugs, as far as I know, they are under the valve covers on a PSD.

Good luck with everything.

#3 ·
It is the same basic motor as the 7.3PSD but the Electronics are all International and are completely different from Fords Electronics. Overheatiog sounds like a Fan or Radiator problem. With 190 HP loaded it will not be very fast but should go down the road ok. You can have International Upgrade the HP electronically but it is expensive and they may require other upgrades to go along with the HP increase. For instance in my truck they also wanted a fan & fan drive upgrade and upgrade the drivehsaft from 1550 to 1710 size when upgrading from 190HP to 210HP.

I don't have any information on reading the codes.

#6 ·
The HP upgrade from 190 to 210 was in the 7 to 800 dollar range a couple of years ago. Basically they just reprogram the truck computer electronics. The Fan and Driveshaft upgrades were seperate. My truck needed the fan clutch replaced anyway but still 200.00 more. Our dealer was pretty good about accepting an invoice that we had done the driveshaft work. If I ever break the 1550 stuff I would be amazed, can't imagine upgrading to 1710 size. That would be a couple grand I imagine for a 4 piece driveshaft, tranny and rear end yokes.

International does everything based on the truck VIN number. They look at original specs for any replacement parts or upgrades. They are not thinking about there trucks from a modified point of view.

What trans do you have in the bus?

#7 ·
http://www.genisysotc.com/06-54.pdf

Are you using the genisys heavy duty scanner? If so, I am surprised that it does not tell you what the codes mean. My suggestion is to call genisys to see if there is a brochure or software that will tell you what the codes mean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.