Air brakes on a 26,000 GVW F-650. Need a CDL license ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Ford 650/750 Medium Duties Technical discussion of the new Ford Super Duty 650 and 750 series trucks with Power Stroke, Cummins, or Caterpillar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2002, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air brakes on a 26,000 GVW F-650. Need a CDL license ?

I have heard different thoughts on this subject. I am contemplating getting air brakes on an F-650 that has a GVW of 26,000 lbs. My concirn is that I want to be able to put a driver who doesn't have a CDL behind the wheel of this truck. I always thought that you needed a CDL w/ the air brake endorsement to drive a truck equipped with air brakes reguardless of the GVW of the truck. Can anybody shed some light on this. Thanks. Jake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2002, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Re: Air brakes on a 26,000 GVW F-650. Need a CDL license ?

I think it might depend on the state you are in. I have a CDL so it does not really matter to me but I was curious about this same thing so I asked the DMV here in Vermont if you need a cdl for a truck 26,000 or under WITH air brakes and was told that you do NOT.

Stephen
My Pics
sbrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2002, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

In Wisconsin you need an air brake endorsement but you do not need a CDL when the vehicle is under 26,000 lbs. Best to check with the DOT in your state.
Randy Robb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2002, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

I just rented a 24' Box Truck from Peneske this weekend. It had a GVW of 26,000 and air brakes. I thought the same as you, air brakes=CDL. I asked about the CDL and they said I don't need one. Just to make sure I checked the RI CDL Manual, and its only based on GVW. Lots of fun to drive!! Sure learned how to drive a stick fast!
Jim
Old 04-30-2002, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)

Since I'm studying for my Michigan CDL right now I have the Michigan Commercial Driver License Manual in front of me.

In the section titled, "Who Needs a CDL?" it does not mention air brakes at all. It only talks about GVWR over 26,001 pounds, or a combination with a GCWR of 26,001 or towing trailers over 10,000 pounds GVWR.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2002, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Guy's! That seems to be the direction that everybody is taking. The CDL follows the GVW. Over 26,001 lbs requires CDL. No mention of where the air brake endorsement comes in.
My concirn was the endorsement of air brakes that is required with CDL license when running a heavy truck equipped with air brakes. DO I need it for a lighter GVW? I have had different forms of input on this matter. Many that I have discussed this subject with felt it was a grey area and that it could come around and sting me.
To save any future problems, I ordered a truck with juice brakes and not air brakes. I never needed air brakes on this model/application of truck in the past so no need to reinvent the wheel now. Plus, it saved me 2k. Jake.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jake

I will add that in WA and most other states that if you are pulling an RV you won't have any trouble with the DOT. But if you are pulling anything other than an RV you may need a CDL if the trailer has a GVW of more than 10,000 lb. Best to check with your local DOT or State Trooper. I have several customers running medium duty w/cube and pulling RVs as long as the RV is hooked up they don't have problems, but if they unhook they run the risk of getting written up.

Hope this helps

Jason
97 F350 4X4 Crew Cab 5spd PSD,4.11 gears,manual hubs, offroad package, Lighted SS West Coast mirrors, Turbo Preasure and twin pre and post turbo Pyro Guages, 32x60 Taylor air wing, Work Lights, Tymar down pipe, Kitty & Muffy on perminent Vacation, 5" exhaust dumps before axle, Home Made Tymar airfilter setup, BD Exhaust brake, Luk Clutch, Firestone air bags on Front & rear axle, Jmark 6" drop Bright Tread Running boards, Fog Lights & Driving Lights, bedrail caps, tailgate protector, in bed storage chest, Fifth Wheel and Goose neck hitches. 75hp TTS Tow Chip From Dale I. Home built front bumper, pics to come. More Grin to come <font color="red">To reach Dale I Tymar Performance </font> (509) 922-8785 or info@tymarperformance.com
BEST MOD: Dual US Flags
WISH LIST: Aluminum Flatbed, Duals,
Truck & Install Pics
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jthhau...t/aboutme.html
jthhautorepair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2002, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Jake ,

When you say "put a driver in the truck" , sounds commercial .
CDL Class B or D may apply for business .
Pvt RV is different .

F550-PSD-CC-LARIAT-FONTAINE-REYCO GRANNING REAR AIR RIDE-TRANSFER FLOW FUEL TANK-ALCOA 19.5 WHEELS-MAG HYTEC-TRANS PAN-DIABLO SPORT TOW CHIP-IAT & EBPV UPGRADES-HIDDEN HITCH FRONT RECEIVER-REESE CLASS IV-ALUMINUM DECK-TRU COOL 4590 TRANS COOLER -EXCURSION GRILL & FOGS-TYMAR AIR & HX.
CountryCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2002, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Jason, I can see how things can get very tricky. Things like personal vs. commercial is a very sticky grey type area. It's kind of beat when you think that there are people with personal applications with RV's and that they may be new to the whole "heavy" truck application where as commercial drivers who are familiar with heavy trucks can have a problem just because of specific applications.

CC, Yes it is a commercial application. My heavier trucks, (GVW 60,000 lbs), needs a required CDL class B w/ air brakes. Thats fine and understandable but my lighter trucks are really not needed to be in a CDL application. At this point in time, my lighter trucks will do just fine at a rating of 26,000. This type truck in my business used to be rated between 27,000 and 28,000. Anything that I have now days to be delivered that is in that range winds up beings loaded on one of my heavier trucks anyhow. Dropping down to a GVW of 26,000 lbs allows me to train a driver for this application without having a CDL. The loads that I have been running on these med duty trucks haven't even been close to half of the GVW. I am also dropping the GVW on my 87' F-700 from 28,000 to 26,000. (370 gasser w/juice brakes). It sounds crazy but it allows me to put a non-CDL driver in the cab plus it drops the registration down by $110.00 a year. It's the same type of truck as the F-600's that we have owned in the past. Crazy to have all the extra BS just for a few extra lbs. Jake.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was looking at a new NAVISTAR couple weeks ago at My local dealer... can't remember which model it was, 4700 maybe?... DT-466E, 7 speed, air brakes, nice long wheelbase, and 25,999# GVWR.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Your state must be different then mine.
In WA you can't register for less then the GVWR in the door jam.
unless you take an axle off and get a DOT cert for the lower wieght.
also here any air brake commerical is CDL
skiman762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2003, 10:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

The uniform CDL is for inter-state commerce and contains minimum requirements, and as usual the states may have stricter but not lesser requirements so some states can offer an air brake endorsement and others can say you want air brakes get a CDL as long as they meet the required parts of the CDL everything is [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Here in Illinois truck plates are weight bracketed, my Ranger is tagged for 8000lb [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] If I had a class 8 and all I hauled was Styrofoam, be silly to pay max rate when I'd never come near it. The more weight you put on the roadways the more you pay for it.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nothing different here after passing one year's time.
No problems at all. My Pop, not having a CDL, has ran this rig from time to time, (when needed), and have had no problems of course.
Our primary driver of this truck does have a CDL w/air brakes so now I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. Over qualified! Go figure.
Nothing wrong with that! Jake.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was at work the other day helpin the driver unload his rig, an 02 sterling 25,999Lbs with air brakes and I was askin him about it. he tells me " I have had a CDL for 20 years drivin heavy trucks and now the clowns in the office go and buy these trucks one pound under the CDL limit and hire 17 year olds to drive them for half what I am makin". It just makes me sick that any one with out a CDL or the knoledge of an air brake system can jump in and go.
bigblue250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2003, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

The law here in B.C. any truck with air brakes requires a air endorsement on your license which intails 2 days of classroom and 1 day of practical and a test. Having a endorsement allows you to operate air brakes on a single axle with any gvw but you need a CDL to operate a tandem or a combination vehical.

A truck with a gvw of 26,000lbs is pretty close to being useless to carry any heavy loads legally you could only carry 4 ton on a F-650 where a F-550 can darn near do the same legally.

KW
89 F-Superduty 7.3 N/A 5spd 319,000kms 12x8 flatdeck. Looking for a newer F-Superduty I just can't get over the feeling a F-350 is too light duty for the work. A F-Superduty is what a F-350 should be like something that will carry 8000lbs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Kenworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.