CAT 3126 HP upgrade? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Ford 650/750 Medium Duties Technical discussion of the new Ford Super Duty 650 and 750 series trucks with Power Stroke, Cummins, or Caterpillar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2004, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CAT 3126 HP upgrade?

My company has 2 2001 F750s with CAT 250HP 3126 (660ft/lb) and we want to increase the HP/TQ. We went to a CAT dealer who said they can do it but they won't except for motorhome or fire truck use. Are there any other sources? Or is the dealer jerking me around?

FYI these trucks have Allison MD3560 6-sp automatics and 5.41 gears, towing 38' horse trailers @ ~26000lb. Need more power for hills.

Allison says the trans is good for 285HP and 800FT/LB.

I'd like to get 275/800 out of it. That rating takes the same radiator, turbo, intercooler and other stuff as the 250, so it should just be a simple electronic upgrade.

Has anyone gotten an upgrade on a non-motorhome/firetruck?

thanks
kevin
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2004, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: CAT 3126 HP upgrade?

kevin,

Are you sure that it was not a misunderstanding? If they thought that you wanted to go to 330hp, of course they won't do it because that is an RV/firetruck only rating. The 275 is still an on-highway rating and they should do it as long as the engine iron set is the same. Just be aware that there is an uprate fee (the dealer charges you for it but it goes to Cat).

Their only concern would be the cooling system- if the chassis is not certified for the increased Hp and should the engine suffer an overheat related failure Cat may not warranty it. Same way on the drivetrain. The drivetrain manufacture may not warranty any failures. This happened to an aquaintance of mine. He bought 475HP engines and had them rerated to 550HP because it was cheaper this way because 475HP drivetrains are much cheaper. When he had a transmission fail, warranty was denied, so he turned the other trucks back down.

Did you inquire at a Cat dealer truck engine shop, or at a Cat certified truck dealer( Ford, KW, Pete, etc)?

LB
LBailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2004, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Southworth-Milton CAT in Albany NY is doing it as we speak.

They say increasing HP requires a turbo, bellows and injectors, but they can get me 800 ft/lb with a software change.

We'll see how that works.

GCW = 36000 lb

thanks!
kevin
Old 04-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
KML

Propane injection is another option.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Y'know, I hadn't considered that in my case, but I suppose it could be.

But I don't want to exceed the rating of the trans (285/800) and if I'm at 250/800, can I use it?

If it was a personal truck I might consider going over Allison's rating, but for company trucks I can't.

I could try to convince Allison that 310/935 is the appropriate rating in my case, as a recreational tow vehicle, GCVW under 40k lb.

Interestingly, the CAT dealer has never even heard of propane injection.

Can you recommend some propane tech sites?

I'm in Palmetto FL, BTW.....
Old 04-29-2004, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
KML

Just over the bridge!!! That area is really sprung up in the last few years hasnt it?

The system I use can be adjusted for more or less horsepower, and the extra mileage would be a bonus I would think on a company vehicle. It is really not radical power, but a very big and noticable increase for less than $1000. It can also be turned on and off as you need it or run all the time (like I do), because it is controlled and metered with boost pressure. I tow very heavy boats with my truck, and it makes it effortless. Try www.dieselperformanceproducts.com for some basic info. Ask them for the more technical stuff.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Where about's are you located? I happen to be about an hour NorthWest of Albany. Always good to see someone from the area around, Chris
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT, FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift, Manual Transfer Case and Hubs, Dark Shadow Grey Metallic, Keyless Entry, Factory Idle Control, 8 1/2' Fisher MMII, XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's, Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit.

1991 VW Jetta 1.6L Diesel 5 Speed.

Displaced '97 F-350 Powerstroke XLT, auto, 355 gears, and LT285/75R16 Cooper Discover LT's. I have a Stan's Headers downpipe. Custom built cat delete pipe. 4" exhaust exiting at a 45 in front of the rear wheel, chrome of course. Homemade open element with a K&N Filter. 8' Fisher Minute Mount SnowPlow.
auken98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2004, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Not actually from there, just passing thru last week. With Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

kevin
Old 05-06-2004, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

I understand the drivers are making little statuettes of me and mounting them as hood ornaments. Apparently they're very happy with their upgraded engines....

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2004, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Charlie,
I will try to find the guys number I talked to about 6 months ago in this froum. He was in Michigan, I believe near the U.P. He sold an electronic engine upgrade for the 3126. I will look for the number and post it.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
My company has 2 2001 F750s with CAT 250HP 3126 (660ft/lb) and we want to increase the HP/TQ. We went to a CAT dealer who said they can do it but they won't except for motorhome or fire truck use. Are there any other sources? Or is the dealer jerking me around?

FYI these trucks have Allison MD3560 6-sp automatics and 5.41 gears, towing 38' horse trailers @ ~26000lb. Need more power for hills.

Allison says the trans is good for 285HP and 800FT/LB.

I'd like to get 275/800 out of it. That rating takes the same radiator, turbo, intercooler and other stuff as the 250, so it should just be a simple electronic upgrade.

Has anyone gotten an upgrade on a non-motorhome/firetruck?

thanks
kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> I did some beta testing for EDGE products in the production of the CAT 3126 upgrade computer. It plugs into the stock harness in about 2minutes and works pretty good. You'd definetely notice a pulling difference.
If any of your engines have the altitude sensor on the rear of the intake, it can be modded. About 4.85vdc is what you'd want for MUCH faster turbo spooling and better low end grunt. </font>
<font color="red">John Kerry is a SLIME BALL & CHEAT</font>
"I VOTED FOR IT BEFORE I VOTED AGAINST IT"

we Flushed two Johns NOV 2'nd[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!!!!!!!!!

B1powered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2004, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks! I didn't know Edge was into the bigger trucks.

I've got these CATs up to 800 FT/LB now, which is the TQ limit from Allison. Tho if I convince them the should reclassify the application maybe I could go to 940.

I'll check out Edge for some of my other trucks too. I've only got these 2 CATs, but have a few Cummins MD applications and a ton of PSD and Cummins pickups....
Old 07-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

B1powered-

Any chance you'd tell me what resistor you used in place of the altitude sensor? I'd like to try that out on the Sterling - the acceleration is just [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]

*edit* No altitude sensor on my truck, never mind.
'70 Checker Wagon
NRA Life member, Certified Instructor and RSO
Join the NRA today!
mrchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2004, 10:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I can tell you that if you have the BARO sensor on the back of the intake manifold, you'll need between 4.75-4.82 VDC output to get what you want. It will definetely increase low end response! You will notice a black smoke puff when you tramp down on it(much larger than stock).
You could call edge and ask RYAN what resisance they were using on the altitude sensor.

I think I might have an extra box for the 3126E I'd let go of.....
<font color="red">John Kerry is a SLIME BALL & CHEAT</font>
"I VOTED FOR IT BEFORE I VOTED AGAINST IT"

we Flushed two Johns NOV 2'nd[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!!!!!!!!!

B1powered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.