Cat C7 won't start. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Ford 650/750 Medium Duties Technical discussion of the new Ford Super Duty 650 and 750 series trucks with Power Stroke, Cummins, or Caterpillar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cat C7 won't start.

Hi,

Hoping I can find someone here that knows anything about these CAT motors... I have a medium duty truck with a C7 in it that died and won't start back up. It was running fine, parked it and it was idling for a minute then started bogging and blowing black smoke then quit and won't fire back up. When cranking it sounds like it's trying to fire a little but won't take off. We have changed both the fuel filters at the engine and the water separator thats down on the frame. Air filter is clean and clear. No check engine light on either. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!
jeepboyny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Sounds like fuel starvation. What model and year is the truck and what is the fuel tank configuration?
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
Sounds like fuel starvation. What model and year is the truck and what is the fuel tank configuration?
Well... It's not a Ford. It's in a GMC C8500 2004. Has dual tanks, feed is off the driver's side tank. Both tanks have sufficient fuel in them.
jeepboyny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Try checking the transfer pump and the fuses.
equipmentguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Need to take a fuel pressure reading while cranking the engine, should read over 600 psi or better in order to start, if lower could be hpop, or leaking o-rings on injectors!

next mods. ATS comp. housing, replaced inj harnesses/gp harnesses, also valve cover gaskets
dr-diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-diesel View Post
Need to take a fuel pressure reading while cranking the engine, should read over 600 psi or better in order to start, if lower could be hpop, or leaking o-rings on injectors!
This engine is not a PS it is a Cat. This system is not like the PS Ford. Check the fuel pressure regulator on the return side of the head and some of those of heavy equipment have screens in them. The other thing to check is the inlet restriction at the transfer pump. The screen on the heavy equipment engines are on the back of the head in a 90deg fitting.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

P.S. If you have to call a tech and ask for help call Cat or a class 8 truck shop not a Ford PU dealer. Most Ford dealers don't know much about that type engine. It is mostly used a medium duity truck and equipment the C7 ACERT is used in graders, loaders and smaller equipmet and it big brother the C9 is used in the larger ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.