Cummins Intake Air heater Graft Questions? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Ford 650/750 Medium Duties Technical discussion of the new Ford Super Duty 650 and 750 series trucks with Power Stroke, Cummins, or Caterpillar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cummins Intake Air heater Graft Questions?

Ok, been doing research and I believe I have what it will take to put an intake air heater on my F800 with a 5.9 Cummins. Below is a theoretical list of parts and expalnation of use:

Intake heater from a 5.9

6 guage wire for the heavy electrical connections on the relays, heater and batteries.

2 Ford Starter relays
-these units ground through the mounting base, so in theory I think that a power wire to the relays with a momentary switch should activate the relay and power the heater.

Does this sound like it would work? I am not an electrical engineer or even a mechanic by any means, so am needing input from guys with experience. Thanks

1999 Ford F800
5.9 Cummins
Allison Auto

Last edited by Dillier23; 01-24-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Dillier23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does anyone have any idea as to what I'm talking about?

1999 Ford F800
5.9 Cummins
Allison Auto
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'd recommend Dodge heater relays. Ford starter relays may not be strong enough.
Evel486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

The grid heater pulls 220 amps. One ford relay is good for 200 amps so you should be fine. I've been running one for several years an a Toyota diesel. Just grafted it to the intake. Works like a charm.

Adam
Adam R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have an update for my progress on this project. Here's what I ended up using and what it took to get the job done.Truck is a 1999 Ford F800, 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT545 automatic transmission.

Intake heater from a 2001 dodge pickup

Relays from the same truck

2 guage wire from the batteries to the relays

spliced two pieces of 6 guage into the 2ga. to power each relay

ran power to a switch from the splice between the heavy gauge wires

Bolts: the two longer bolts used on the stock intake will work for the shorter side after the heater is placed between the intake horn and manifold. You will need 8m 120mm long and 1.25 pitch threads to install in the longer side of the intake.

Gaskets come from any dodge dealer, they are called air intake heater gaskets, you will need 2 of them.

Heavy duty switch, I used an illuminated toggle rated for 30 amps. Put an inline fuse rated at 25 amps in front of the switch.

Mounted the relays on the upper firewall.

Mounted the switch in the cab under the steering wheel. You can put your where ever is accessible to your needs.

Everything mounted right in and worked great!

First morning the truck was to be used it was around 25f in the morning. Turned the key on, flipped the intake heater switch on for about 10 seconds. Turned the switch off, hit the key and it fired right up. Previously the truck was reluctant to fire if the temps were below 30f. If anyone wants to do this to thier truck and has questions, just ask.

1999 Ford F800
5.9 Cummins
Allison Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.