fuel lift pump problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Ford 650/750 Medium Duties Technical discussion of the new Ford Super Duty 650 and 750 series trucks with Power Stroke, Cummins, or Caterpillar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel lift pump problems

I have a ford F650 with a Cummins motor.

The other day it started losing power and 'bucking' when under power. I am able to limp it home. I have read that there is a lift pump problem with the cummmins motors. Apparently the previous owner had changed the lift pump at around 30,000 I now have 53,000

I ordered a new fuel filter and lift pump from a cummins dealer....should be here tomorrow and I hope that solves my problem.

I also read that there is a second filter somewhere along the frame under the drivers area....but I can't seem to find anything....any suggestions on where to look.

Thanks,
Gordon
2008 Ford F450 6.4 55k Kms Dynamic Wrecker
2011 Ford SuperDuty 6.7 101,000kms
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
2006 Ford F650 Rollback 500,000kms (with a 5.9 Cummins that has not seen the inside of a garage)
fixdent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: fuel lift pump problems

The filter is near the left frame rail near the middle of the leaf spring. It looks like a sausage, literally. I is about 8 inches long, and about 2 inches in diameter. I have 3 of these model F650's in my city's fleet I take care of, and all 3 had the fuel tanks replaced under warranty at about the mileage you are at for defective, rusty tanks.
All of ours got so stopped up with rust they stopped running and had to be towed to Ford to be replaced. But if you have rust issues, changing the "sausage" pre-filter will help it run, and it will be completely full of rust. The retaining clips are easy to break, and hard to get, so go easy on them when changing the filter. Hope this helps.
2008 F350 Lariat 4X4 Crewcab Dually Dark Blue Pearl/Medium Stone 4:30 gears Tow Boss Pkg Fully Loaded
1972 Gran Torino Sport Q code
1977 Trans Am Z code
2003 Mach 1 Azure Blue
2006 Honda Goldwing with Navi & Comfort pkg
1999 F550 XLT 4x4 Custom Hauler (sold)
2000 F650 XLT Cat 7 speed Custom Hauler (sold)
2002 F350 Dually 4X4 XLT Crewcab 7.3 (sold)
72GTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Ford 650/750 Medium Duties

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.