275/65/R20's? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
275/65/R20's?

So I've got 35x12.50 Toyo MT's on a 20"x9" wheel on my truck right now and I've enjoyed them but it's time for some new tires. I want to go a little narrower (they slightly rub the leafs at full lock right) and change from the MT to an AT. My tire guy suggested the Toyo 275/65/R20 AT. Says it's a 34"x11" tire which sounds good, but I'm a little worried it might look a little narrow on a 9" wheel. I don't want them to look like pizza cutters. Is the 275/65/R20 the size that comes on the new trucks with 20" wheels? Anyone have any pictures of this size or maybe a touch wider?

http://rides.webshots.com/album/559933283yofgnk
granitehauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitehauler View Post
Is the 275/65/R20 the size that comes on the new trucks with 20" wheels?
Yes.

Your 35s are 13" overall width x 35" diameter.

The stock size 275/65R20E is 11" overall width x 34.5" diameter.

Toyo Open Country A/T has one that's 11.7" wide x 32.3" diameter(285/55R20E) and another one that's 12.6" wide x 34.3 diameter (305/60R20E). So the 305s would meet your requirement for "a little narrower" and the 285 would be right between the stock-size 275s and your current tires. BFGoodrich AllTerrain has one that's 285/65R20E, 11.5" x 34.7, which should be right down your alley.

So pick your poison. They will all fit just fine on 9" wide rims, per the tire maker's specs.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitehauler View Post
So I've got 35x12.50 Toyo MT's on a 20"x9" wheel on my truck right now and I've enjoyed them but it's time for some new tires. I want to go a little narrower (they slightly rub the leafs at full lock right) and change from the MT to an AT. My tire guy suggested the Toyo 275/65/R20 AT. Says it's a 34"x11" tire which sounds good, but I'm a little worried it might look a little narrow on a 9" wheel. I don't want them to look like pizza cutters. Is the 275/65/R20 the size that comes on the new trucks with 20" wheels? Anyone have any pictures of this size or maybe a touch wider?
I've got an 06 with factory 20s, and yes, it came with 275/65/20s. I recently went with Toyo MTs in the same size. They are a great tire, but I do think they are a little narrow for the truck (pizza cutters perhaps), but they don't rub. And the factory 20s are only 8" wide.

I know you said you want to go with an AT, but I've heard the Toyo ATs wear faster than the MTs. If you want to stay with the Toyo MTs, take a look at the 315/60/20s. They would be perfect on your 20x9s.
ARP Studs & O-ring Heads
DC Power 190a upper and DB Electric 200a lower alt
275/65/20 Toyo MTs
7,000LB Ford Coils
Dual F450 Auxillary Springs
ICON 1" TEI Spacer
ICON Adjustable Track Bar
ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer
ICON Alignment Cams
Bilstein 5100s
EDGE Insight CTS with EGT
Delo 5W40 Synthetic
Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
Banks Monster Exhaust
Zerex ELC
skanj0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
I've got an 06 with factory 20s, and yes, it came with 275/65/20s.... And the factory 20s are only 8" wide.
The Ford OEM 20" rims are 8" wide, so the stock-size tires are 8" wide at the bead, but 11" wide overall (at the sidewall).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
I had the Toyo AT's a few years ago and liked them, but I do agree they wore a lot quicker than these MT's. Maybe thats because the tread on the MT's are so much deeper or maybe the AT's are softer I don't know. I've put about 45,000 on my MT's and probably could put another 10,000 on them. That's awesome life if you ask me, especially on a big chunky mud tire.

Smokey, you always have the answers. Thanks! I think I just need to see some pictures now. I'm not 100% sold on getting Toyo's but my Les Schwab has been awesome to work with in the 10 years I've been buying tires, brakes, etc from them. I would love to give them my business. What other brands are guys running in this general size? I had BFG AT's years ago and could never keep them balanced, so I'm a little leery looking at those.

Skanj0, you have any pic's?

http://rides.webshots.com/album/559933283yofgnk
granitehauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.