AirBag - Suspension Components - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AirBag - Suspension Components

Greetings fellow SuperDooties

So I've recently upgraded from a 2012 F250 to a 2014 F350 Dually, great truck and pretty darn good deal I think. It came with a Firestone load leveling airbag kit. I'm new to these airbags and fiddled some with it, but unfamiliar with this set up so I'm extra cautious. Hoping ya'll could educate me on a few items.

I've located the PSI gauge in the truck with 2 pressure switches, one for left rear and one for right rear. Also located the air reservoir for the system, the small motor (connected to aux switch in cab) and the air inlet at the rear of the truck.

1. Silly question I'm sure but what is the motor for? Is this an onboard air compressor possibly? If I air up the system at the tail of the truck, that fills the reservoir right? Then if I go into the truck cab and push the switches on the PSI gauge, that allows the air to go from the reservoir to the bags themselves and I can visually see the rear of the truck rise. So...if it is an air compressor, I suppose its so I can add air to the reservoir independently? Meaning without outside compressor assistance? Or I guess air my tires if need be. What do ya'll think?

2. Probably another goofy question but when I bleed the air from the airbags by using the switch in the cab, does the air bleed out or transfer back to the reservoir for future use? I wasn't sure if by bleeding air and essentially lowering the rear, I would be forced to use an outside compressor to refill the reservoir and give me the option to raise it up again later.

3. Is there ususually an air filter associated with these systems? Found some references to it online but no hard evidence on what it looks like or location. If there is one, I'm assuming these need to be changed or inspected regularly right?

I appreciate any info ya'll have for an air newbie!

Thanks,
Hd883chopper

Current: 2014 F350 4X4 Platinum Dually 6.7 Powerstroke

Previous: 2012 F250 4X4 Lariat FX4 Fleetside 6.7 Powerstroke

Previous: 2005 Excursion 4X4 Limited V10 Gasser

Last edited by hd883chopper; 01-29-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:58 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
Yes that is an onboard compressor , probably ARB . Some compressors have their own air receiver , yours has a separate receiver.
As soon as you activate the toggle switch to the compressor inside the cab you'll have air filling the receiver.
Yes you could use the air from the receiver to inflate your tyres, only if you have an additional air fitting in line that's not being used for anything else.

When you bleed the air from the Air Bags with the on board switch the air is bleed out the back of the control switch inside the cab.

Not sure about your compressor but most ARB onboard compressors have a light duty air filter (if that's what you choose to call it) It's just a plastic cover to stop the big stuff from entering the compressor motor.

https://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-compressors/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HiOutputAirComp07071-352x332.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	104138   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	104146  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R Turbo, WW2, Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, Foil delete.
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks,MAG-HYTEC diff covers, MAG-HYTEC Deep pan trans cover,Hornblaster Train horns, Chassis mount transmission filter, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googs View Post
Yes that is an onboard compressor , probably ARB . Some compressors have their own air receiver , yours has a separate receiver.

https://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-compressors/
Thanks Googs. I appreciate the info. So I guess I have a choice whether to air up the reservoir from the inlet at the rear of the truck or use the little air compressor. Nice option.

Any maintenance necessary on a set up like this? Other than monitoring any leaks of course.

Thanks for the help

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:43 PM

Garage
A piece of felt or some filter media in the plastic filter housing would cut down on dust entering the compressor motor. ( not to thick)
I have water traps/regulators fitted to the outlets of my set up , just to keep the moisture out of what ever I'm inflating or dusting down.
I have a larger air compressor on board with a 5 gallon receiver (100% duty) that i use to inflate the complete set of tyres from the truck and the camper.
Not knowing your set up or seeing it i would be a little sceptical about inflating all your tyres at the one time with an ARB type compressor.
This type of compressor is mainly used for diff locks / air ride bags, but in saying that you can still top up your tyres every now and again.
There's suppose to be a pressure switch on the compressor, It's meant to turn the compressor off if the pressure gets too high, make sure this is there.
Here's the onboard compressor/water traps /regulators in my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	104226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr water trap.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	104234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front water trap.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	104242  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R Turbo, WW2, Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, Foil delete.
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks,MAG-HYTEC diff covers, MAG-HYTEC Deep pan trans cover,Hornblaster Train horns, Chassis mount transmission filter, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

That's a nice little setup you have there. Thanks for sharing the pics!

hd

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 AM
NYB

My Photos: (7)
Googs's truck is so badazz, it makes my truck feel like a Wells Fargo chuck wagon, only without the money in the back, and with fewer horses in the front.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

LOL - yea there's a lot of really cool rigs on this site. Maybe one day I'll catch up

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:28 PM

Very interesting comments on airbags. I am considering buying out the '14 F-350 I've been leasing and adding airbags and I'm looking for a bit of input on various brands and set ups. I've looked at the gear from Firestone and Airlift Company. I haul a horse trailer rated at about 20,000lbs. Any recommendations? Horror stories etc? Thanks in advance.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:37 AM

I've had Firestone bags on the last four trucks pulling a 38ft 5th whl or a 12ft slide in camper. Worked great! Kept ~15psi in when empty and never had an issue. The best way to level a truck with a big load...no oncoming traffic light flashing either, your headlights remain friendly.

'15 F-350 XLT FX4 CC SRW LB - Gently Mod'd (w/i warranty)
aFe duals DPF back, S&B Intake, ARB Research retractable steps, Alpine Nav stereo, front and back cameras, Fia winter and bug screen, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70R18, Flipback bed cover.

('16 Ram Rebel - love the rambox, hated the wobbly air bag gimmick suspension, mileage sucked!)
('12 Ram 3500 CC SRW SB Fully deleted w/ H&S Mini Maxx 22mpg! 14mpg towing 40ft 5th wheel over Snoqualmie pass.)
'11 F-350 Lariat CC DRW LB
'08 F-450 Lariat Pullin' Beast (4.88) LB
'02 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4x4 LB Mod'd
'97 F-350 XLT CC SRW 4x4 LB Mod'd
'94.5 F-350 XLT CC SRW 4x4 LB Mod'd
'92 F-150 XLT SC SRW 4x4.
'90 Ranger XLT SC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.