Biggest tires on stock rims - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Biggest tires on stock rims

Hi, I would like someones expert opinion on what is the biggest tire I can put on a stock steel rim 17x7.5 on a stock unlifted 2007 F350...I would like to put on 305/70-17s Goodyear MTRs...would I have any luke with this...and would these tires be good for snow and ice...sipped or unsipped???? thanks
FarmerBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Biggest tires on stock rims

Goodyear rates that tire as (1-10, 10 being best) 7 Dry,6 wet, 8 Snow, 10 Off Road, 4 noise and recomends it on a 8-9.5 inch rim. The 315/70-17 is rated by Goodyear as 8 Dry, 8 Wet, 9 Snow, 9 Off Road and 6 noise. I was looking into that tire for my F-250 on the 17X7.5 rims, but they said it was recomended for 8.5-10 inch rims. BFD makes a 315/70R17 but it is also recomended on 8.5-10 inch rims. Has anyone put these on the 7.5 inch rims?
2006 F-250 XLT PSD 6.0L, FX4, CC, Line-X. MBRP 409 Cool Duals Turbo Back, 5" tips. Skyjacker 2.5" Front Level, BFG LT315/70R17. ISSPRO PYRO, Tranny & 60# Boost Guages, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs, TFI 46 Gallon Tank. Southern California Power Strokers Member. My wife's one and only rule...do what you want to it, but at the end of the day it must fit in the garage.
4XFore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

What size are your rims??? What are you planning on putting on your truck??? Going to new wheels really makes the whole tire experience much more expensive...somebody I am sure can fill us in on the way to go here!!!
FarmerBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Check out this thread going. http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthrea...;gonew=1#UNREAD

I've got the same size rim as you do 17X7.5 and it sounds like the biggest tire we can put on without extra "maintenence" is 285/70R17. Anything bigger and you'll have to more closely monitor tire pressure, rotate more and have more side rolling on the tire in turns. Two guys who tried a tire set made for a wider rim both recomended against it. I don't want to add on the expense of bigger rims right now either, I actually really like the stock rims. I am thinking of going with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 285/70R17. They are rated by Goodyear as 9 Dry, 9 Wet, 10 Snow, 9 Off road and 8 noise. Haven't found any threads that spoke negatively about these tires. FMC put 265/70R17 stock on my truck and it just looks out of place. I've got a buddie that'll buy mine off me if I go bigger for his Explorer, otherwise I'd just ride these out then go bigger rims/tires. I can't really lift the truck any because at the end of the day it has to fit in the garage....my wife's one and only rule.
2006 F-250 XLT PSD 6.0L, FX4, CC, Line-X. MBRP 409 Cool Duals Turbo Back, 5" tips. Skyjacker 2.5" Front Level, BFG LT315/70R17. ISSPRO PYRO, Tranny & 60# Boost Guages, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs, TFI 46 Gallon Tank. Southern California Power Strokers Member. My wife's one and only rule...do what you want to it, but at the end of the day it must fit in the garage.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

i saw a brand new f250 king ranch down in savannah ga with 325 bfg AT's on stock, 18 inch rims. it looks like the truck had no lift and was freaking sweet. i waited for the guy to come out of the hunting lodge for 15 minutes to ask about his rig, but my buddies were leaving to go quail hunting and i never got to ask. truck was burgendy with a brush guard, and a warn winch. by far one of the best looking superduties ive ever seen.

from what i have been told, 315's on a stock rim are no problem with the new trucks w/ no lift. i wanna know about 325's.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

1982 jeep scrambler
2001 bmw 525i 90k miles
ncmallard78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

That sounds sweet....I think the King Ranch 18 inch rims are 8.5 wide...which opens the door for bigger tires, 305,315 and 325.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

old post but I hear 315 70 17 is the largest tire with minimal to no rubbing on a stock 4x4 17 inch rim
SIX_0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

I do not know how pertinent this is to your discussion but I just bought an '04 with 285-75-16's on it. (original is 265) The problems I have encountered are minimal. There is a visible sidewall pinch because of the narrower rim but by adjusting tire pressure I was able to get a full tread contact. This is an easy thing to determine. Possibly you are aware of chalk testing a tire but if not, by taking a piece of white chalk, the bigger the chalk the better, mark a line across the tire and drive the vehicle for a few hundred yards in a straight line. Stop and see how the chalk is wearing off of the tread. if it is wearing off even you are good, outside wear needs more pressure, inside wear needs less. I do drive mountain roads and have not noticed any excessive tire roll because of the narrower rim. I am presently down to 55psi front and 45 psi rear with an empty bed. The one positive is that the ride quality on So.Cal. freeways is better than stock size tires at factory pressures. If you have TPMS all this is out the window. hopefully this is of some use.
grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

It really depends on how much ballooning you want. You could put 12.5 wide tires on a 7.5" wheel which would give you a good amount of ballooning which is excellent for offroad use.

The recommendations mean very little

PHP/Beans tuned/250/100 FF inj's, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete, Pius LASB from Irate, Swamps HVHF IDM.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Baldwin PA2818(6637) RR Boots/CBillet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter
INFRNL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
If you have TPMS all this is out the window. hopefully this is of some use.
On a 2011 the computer can be adjusted by the dealer to allow lower pressures.
Panache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.