Brakes locked up, stuck on the shoulder help!!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brakes locked up, stuck on the shoulder help!!!

Hey guys I'm sitting on the side of the road right now and my driver side front brake is locked up and was smoking when I pulled over....

I replaced the calipers, rotors and pads 2000 mile ago. Don't know *** its locked up for and how to unlock it.

A few notes that might help with diagnosos....

Reason brakes are fully replaced is the damn calipers froze on me so I replaced them all, they better not be frozen again

I run the truck hard offroad occasionally

I've had a whining sound from what I think is power steering pump last 50 miles, no affect to power steering but it's noticeably loud turning at slow speeds

Brakes pedal hasn't been smooth when depressing hard for a while (I rarely slam on the brakes, but got on em kind of hard the other day due to a moron in a civic) rather than a smooth depress or seemed to have a shorter depress than I would expect and felt "gritty" in the pedal for lack of a better word.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
PBGUY420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Note no abs light is on

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Crawl under it and open the bleeder. If it's a pressure issue, that will relieve it and release the caliper. When you replaced the calipers, did you also replace the hoses to them? The hoses can deteriorate on the inside and act like a check valve. If that's happening, the bleeder fix will only work till you apply the brakes again.

The power steering pump noise is probably from being low on fluid.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Probably no help but. Did you measure rotators when you did breaks? Have you tried relieving pressure with bleeder and possibly prying out on pads?Did you have factory pads abd rotors? Havent had to do mine yet but was told our rotors wear out before factory pads. If so could your piston be over extended. Had a calipor stick on a Chevy and pad wore on one side only and piston was out on one side didnt lock but let fluid past piston and piston was cocked. actually outside bore.
upfitter /w
high idle mod
back up camera
rear back-up lights
Blue spring and banjo bolt mod
Edge insite cts
new interstate batteries / may have hurt FICM
only Ford filters
Flushed/ CAT coolant
low coolant temps
two new thermostats
new coolant senser/ still LOW COOLANT TEMPS
mobile one oil/ going back to rotella T-6
REV-X / helped stiction
ARCH OIL AR 9100 /stiction cured so far 27*
ARCH OIL AR 6200 / @ 2 mpg increase
2stroked out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
RT

I've had master cylinders do this before as well. Same cure- bleed off the pressure and lay off using the brakes until you get home.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
and lay off using the brakes until you get home.

Do tell..How do you do that?

I would use the parking brake while I held the release, since that invloves just cables, right?
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
RT

Yeah that would work. Coast to a stop, California stops at stop signs. You can also do a reverse tow - where you tow another vehicle behind you that does the braking even though the lead vehicle is the "disabled" vehicle...
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Piece of cake if you drive a manual tranny. Just downshift back down thru the gears. Definietly leave LOTS of room in front (not like the normal crazies who drive 70MPH a car length behind.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
California stops at stop signs.
Cali isn't the only place that happens Once more we get a bum rap!!!
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy

Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Cali isn't the only place that happens
Can't argue with you there. Every state has it's share of idiot drivers.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

I did loosen the bleeder, and fluid came out fine.... Closed it, tried to drive a block and it was still bound up.... Can't simply not use brakes it's clamped hard enough the wheel takes both hands to keep straight and smokes in 500m of driving at 20mph....

Just towed it home after hours waiting for a flatbed bc the company sent me two different wreckers that wanted to tow me backwards with my front tires dragging, had no wheel dollies and werent allowed to have me disconnect driveshaft....

Ill pull apart tomorrow, To see if it is in fact frozen caliper but I still don't see how after 5k miles and all new brake hardware, and fluid

I DID NOT change the brake lines with the new pad, rotors, caliper install....

Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Glad your home safe. It will be interesting to see what you find.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Did you remove, clean, regrease the caliber pins? mine locked the left front once, turned out the caliber pin/slide was frozen tight...like beat it with a hammer tight, just a idea.
1999.5 f-350sc"shorty" Manual everything 4x4 6 speed. prepump mods,rancor fuel filter, oilgaurd bypass filter,heater valve mod, MAP regulator, air heater gone, Dppi 4 in exhast, K&N with Zoodad air scooped DI 4 position chip, 203 termostat, 315/70/16.5 Goodyear at/s on stock rim with no lift, homemade "automatic" exhast brake, Lots more to come......Thanks to this site!
Medic24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

It turned out to be a frozen caliper, don't know why or how it happened to a relatively new caliper....

Got new pads rotor and caliper for that side under warranty, kind of unhappy that I'm not doing both sides at the same time tho

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.