Convert a Dually to a single rear wheel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Convert a Dually to a single rear wheel

Does anyone sell a rear Dually Fender that is half the width of the standard Fender. I have been thinking that I would like change out the dually wheels and tires in the rear to a large single rear wheel and tire. Would love to reduce the width of the truck. I would like to reduce the width of my truck by 6 to 8 inches.

Any suggestions?

Where is the best place to go for 22 inch wheels and tires?
Barry 1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
"Super Single" is a good idea. You don't need to mess with the dually rear fenders.

But note that 22" diameter is a show-off size, intended for SRW pickups and guys that want style without necessarily having the weight capacity for a hard-working pickup. For example, in order to get 22" tires with at least 3,000 pounds weight capacity, you'd have to go to a Toyo Open Country M/S in size 37x13.50R22 to get 3,420 pounds weight capacity per tire, or 40x15.5R22 to get 3,830 pounds weight capacity per tire. Or Open country A/T LT305/50R22 to get 3305 pounds weight capacity. Any of those tires would reduce the total weight carrying capacity of your dually.

I don't know about the "best place" to buy 22" wheels. One place for 22" wheels is:
Helo Series HE835 Wheel

Those are 22x9.5, with 8-on-170mm hole pattern ('99-'04 SuperDuty). They have the same wheel with 8-on-200mm hole pattern ('05-up SuperDuty dually). And they have several other wheels with 22" diameter.

A better idea is to go for "real truck" size 22.5" diameter. Then you can choose numerous brands of OTR truck tires that have weight capacity over 7,000 pounds per tire. For example, a Michelin XZA2 tire in size 295/60R22.5 is 36.1" diameter and has a weight capacity of 7,390 pounds per tire.
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZA2

Then the problem is finding wheels that will fit both your truck and the 22.5" truck tires. One source is Rickson Truck. Not cheap, but that's the go-to outfit for custom aluminum wheels that will properly fit your truck. If you will settle for steel wheels, then try Stockton Wheel.
Stockton Wheel Service - Custom Wheels

So first find the wheels. Then you can buy 22" Toyo tires or 22.5" truck tires of several brands (including Toyo) from Discount Tire.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
SmokeyWren,
Thank you for your time and help. It is sincerely appreciated. I just purchased a used 2008 F450 to pull my 14,500 lbs 5th wheel and my wife hates having a Dually as our spare vehicle. I was hoping to narrow the thing down a bit with some different tires and wheels on the back. I have been shopping on line for a solution but there is just to much to filter through. I was hoping to do something like this attached photo without lowering the rig.
Thank you again,
Barry
Barry 1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
You forgot the photo.

Since you have an F-450 with 19.5" tires and 10 on 225mm hole pattern, forget everything I said in my early post.

To get by cheap, you could just remove the outside tires and keep the inside ones.
Then peal off the dually fender humps and have any body shop smooth out what remains, or maybe add fender flares similar to the ones used by the off-roaders. That would reduce your rear GAWR to 7,500 pounds. But a 14,500 pound 5er should have only around 2,600 pounds of hitch weight. That leaves 4,900 pounds max rear axle weight without overloading the single tires. And your wet and loaded truck without the 5er tied on should have a lot less than 4,900 pounds on the rear axle.

Of course, the better (but more expensive) fix would be to buy new wheels and tires that wouldn't look phunny when going down the road. You probably won't find any SRW wheels with your hole pattern of 10 on 225mm, so you'll need to order custom wheels from somebody like Rickson or Stockton. And your stock wheels are only 6" wide, so the biggest tire you can safely run is LT225/70R19.5. But with custom rims you could move up to the super single size of at least 245/70R19.5.

For example, if you ordered new wheels 19.5" diameter and 7.5" wide, you could go for the Michelin XZE2+ tire in size LT285/70R19.5. About the same as the old 35s in diameter, with 6,395 pounds weight capacity per tire, or 12,790 pounds on the rear axle. That's more than you'll need with your 14,500 GVWR to not lose any hauling capacity when you go to the super single tires.

If you have the 4.88 axle, you'll probably love the taller 285s, which will give you the equivalent of a 4.45 axle ratio. Or if you have the 4.30 rear end, then the taller tires will give you the equivalent of about a 4.10 axle ratio. You'll probably like the 4.10 ratio just fine except for dragging your trailer across the Rockies on I-70 or I-90.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
this is a lil old, but if havent made a descision yet you can certainly find the wheel younare looking for. they are made for brush trucks. they will use 20" wheels/tires.
2004 E450 Cutaway, 6.0L, quigley 4x4, ambulance pkg., maxbrake controller, curt 20k fifth wheel. Future mods: 52" sleeper, tandem (6x6?) rear (aint look'n likely), frame cover. maybe a Herd front bumper.
2003 E350, 7.3l, x-cargo
2003 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, Dark Green Fx4 SOLD
1995 C3500 6.5l work trk, 2x4, CC, DRW, white DECEASED PREMATURALLY
2003 JEEP WRANGLER, ooooops, not anymore!
1986 26' Seaway Northstar w/ 454 Mercruiser
2008 Montana Mountaineer 332PHT
1991 GMC Topkick, CAT, 4' vert. gang boxes, 12' dump. if only all were as reliable!
SIC-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.