The Diesel Stop banner

Need Rear Rotors- Powerslots worth it, or autopart store good?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Steve83 
#1 ·
My rear rotors are finally shot after 15 years. I have powerslots in the front, but is that really necessary for the rear? I haven't priced them yet, but I am sure they are not cheap. I thought about just using an advance auto coupon code and picking them up from the local store. Also, what is the removal procedure like on the rears? Thanks.

#2 ·
oops. I did not know there was a separate forum for brakes. Mods - Feel free to move this. Thanks.

#3 ·
When I did rear brakes, I just went with loaded calipers and rotors from the dealer. Aftermarket rotors are not needed, IMO. But I'd at least buy the highest quality line rotors if you go to your local parts store.

#4 ·
I went with suggestions from this site.

Even though dually front rotors are expensive, no matter where you buy them.
I bought mine through Ford and loaded calipers.

#5 · (Edited)
I have powerslots in the front, but is that really necessary for the rear?
Anything that reduces the surface area in-contact between the pads & rotors 1) reduces the braking force given the same pedal force; OR 2) increases the pedal force necessary to achieve the same braking force; AND 3) increases brake temperature given the same braking force; AND 4) increases pad & rotor wear given the same braking force.

That's essentially the same as what Wilwood says about its own (and any other brand's) drilled/slotted rotors.

For the best braking, lowest temperatures, and longest life, you want the biggest, flattest pads & rotors you can fit in there. The more pistons a caliper has (per side), the flatter the pads will remain.

Cryo-nodular-ceramic-cobalt-whatever rotors are gimmicks. If you want the best, buy the brand Ford controls. They're not much (if any) more expensive than local parts-store junk.

#6 ·
So, what it sounds like is that I should try to get the best possible price on original motorcraft?

#7 ·
If you're not in a giant rush, get them thru AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake. I just got parts to do front brakes (hoses, pads, caliper kits, slide pins, etc) thru them after trying to match up my front hoses locally without success. You can either just go to their site www.parts.autonationwhitebearlake.com or post in their forum if you have questions. Mike was very helpful in getting met the correct parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.