The Diesel Stop banner

New rotors

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve83 
#1 ·
Looking for recommendation for new rotors and pads. Tow a 6500lb travel trailer

#2 ·
I tow a 9500 pound fiver with all stock brakes. As long as the trailer brakes are adjusted properly and the brake controller is set right, you shouldn't need any upgraded components.

#3 ·
Don't agree, after countless stock rotor cuts and replacing, I went to after markets that are drilled and slotted. Now, there is a lot of debate over the worth of being drilled. Some rotors will crack at the hole sites but these were chamfered. They are better quality metal, rust proof and came w pads that are a mix of ceramic and organic. I LOVE them. No chatter, no feeling of being warped, no dust through wheels, and a very smooth, very controlled stop. And, they were not much more than stock rotors from Ford. Now the bad part---as I'm writing this I don't have the receipt in front of me and I'm getting old---don't remember the brand, LOL Point is they ended my problems with stock stuff, and I'm sure many brands of good after markets will also.

#4 ·
My experience echos that of chuckster57. Towed a 7,000 and 9,000 travel trailer coast to coast numerous times, no problems in the mountains of the west driving on the Interstate routes. The OE equipment served me just fine.

#5 ·
OE equipment works but could be improved. Seen a lot of slotted and some drilled and slotted also cryogenic enhanced. Power slot, EBC to name a few. Already selected hawk LTS pads so Ned to narrow down rotors

#6 ·
Powerslots with hawk pad are what most people will choose. Oem brake are no issue with that kind of weight. My TT is close to 10k with stock brake through the rockies without issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
I towed a 12K pound fiver across the country in '09 with the same rotors/pads that I have today.

#8 ·
I have used the powerslots/hawk setup and liked them a lot. However, stock pads and rotors have been just fine with towing at MGVW. One note is I have gone to replacing calipers with rebuilt ones when pads ware out. I have had too many pistons stick when pushed back in.
DENNY

#9 ·
Anything that reduces the contact area between the pad & rotor INcreases temperature, wear, & pedal force (for the same braking force). So if drilled & slotted aftermarket rotors were better than stock, they'd be EVEN-better without the holes & slots.

But it looks like many people are saying they AREN'T better. I like MotorCraft brake parts - they haven't let me down yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.