The Diesel Stop banner

New vibration

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Daisymay77 
#1 ·
2000 F350 PS Dually. I'm experiencing a vibration/noise that is rolling speed dependent. I sounds almost like I had aggressive tread tires, or was running on a rumble strip. Made a 150 mile round trip yesterday, and it is getting more noticeable. About 55K miles ago, we completely rebuilt the front end, including one set of needle bearings and one stub axle assy. In the last 6 months I had replaced 4 tires, and the remaining 2 had some weather checking, so put on the last 2 last week, thinking that might be the problem. Didn't help. It is certainly speed dependent, increasing gradually, being worse about 55-65.
Anybody got any ideas? @198K miles, could it be chain in transfer case? Bad wheel bearing? Where do I start?

#2 ·
There could be a lot of areas to look at .........

Drive shafts, joints, etc....

I will pass this on to you. I put new tires on one of my trucks - 3 weeks later, I brought the truck back and they re-balaced them - 2 weeks later again ---- Then I get the manager - cool guy - said something may have shifted. He ordered me 2 new tires and no more vibrations......

Have they balance checked out..... Hopefully not at a knuckle head spot ......

#3 ·
Transmission shop visit

Took the old gal into the transmission shop yesterday, and they took it for a test drive. Said it is either the center carrier bearing or bearing in the differential. Suggested installing a bearing kit that included both. With 198K miles on the clock, think I'll have them change lube in both diffs, xfer case, and have them adjust bands in tranny along with new filter and fluid. What do you think?

#4 ·
yes
yes
yes
yes

#5 ·
Still in the shop

The old gal has been in the shop 2 days now. They are snowed under with work, so knew it was gonna be a few days. Stopped there yesterday AM, and they had already serviced the tranny and changed fluid in front differential & xfer case, had the rear diff opened up and said everything looked good. They were gonna drop the driveshaft and check carrier bearing and u joints etc. Haven't found anything wrong yet - I'm starting to get worried!

#6 ·
Still no joy

Got a call that the truck was back together - still has the noise - Said he "thought " it was the right front hub assy, and it was $249 from NAPA, and 2 1/2 hrs labor to replace. Total, another $500. Been looking at u-tube, and it don't look that difficult, and the hub assy is available for less than $100. If I have to do it myself, maybe I should just replace both of them.

#7 ·
F350 4x4 DRW front bearing assy

Looks like there is a wide price spread on these assys. All the way from about $250 ea to $140 a pair.
Best price I've found so far is from Detroit Axle on E-Bay. Has anyone used thier product? Why is there such a price spread from supplier to supplier? Is there that much of a quality difference?

#8 ·
Got done!

Bought a pair of front bearing assys from Detroit Axle. Fit was perfect and price was right, however decided that @ 79 yrs young, probably should have someone else do the grunt work. Local mechanic estimated 4 hrs labor @ $75/hr. He couldn't get the rotors separated from the hubs, so ended up with a new set of rotors and pads. Ended up @ 6 hrs - total bill $632. Pricey, but the noise is gone. the only other things he found, one of the Warn hubs has a couple of ears broken off, and both rear shocks are junk. Guess after all this money, I'll do the rest myself. I never was too concerned about shocks on the back of a pickup, but pulling he 5th wheel camper, I'd probably better address that. What do you guys recommend for shocks? Not interested in Billsteins or other hi dollar ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.