The Diesel Stop banner

Power Stop Calipers

6K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Pegsmi98 
#1 ·
I am going to be doing brakes on our Excursion and wondering if anyone has used the Power Stop S4790 calipers?

I am putting Ford rotors and Ford Severe Duty pads.

The power stop calipers can be bought for $126 from amazon for the 2 calipers versus Ford at about $90 per caliper with a core deposit.

Anyway I have searched on here for 2 days and have only read about Hawk LTS and pads.

Would like opinions on the power stop or am i better sticking with Ford Calipers?

Thanks

#2 ·
What's wrong with the original calipers?

#3 ·
Ford holds a tight spec on the people that are rebuilding the calipers sold as Motorcraft. Your not going to be able to get brand new calipers for a 2001 so If it was me I would get the Motorcrafts.

The problem you always have with rebuilt calipers is were the rubber components moulded to the exact sizes, were the rubber compound exactly the same as OE or was a generic version used, how well did the company clean the dust boot and seal grooves in the caliper body, and how well were the phenolic pistons made, as in the resin used and the cure of the parts. In the last half dozen years on the forums were seen a higher rate of rebuilt calipers' pistons hanging up, which I suspect may be a swell and growth issue with the phenolic pistons more then excessive diameter when machined.

The other thing I would recommend, and you can only economically do this over the counter, is to look at the caliper your buying and see how rust pitted it looks. While a company can clean all the oxide off the surfaces, a caliper that has seen a high share of road deicers will have deep pits, and while those pits on the exterior do not have much effect, typically they are also present within the dust boot groove, and deep pitting there will not allow the new boots to seal as well, allowing more moisture to enter under the boot.

#4 ·
Thank you for the follow up guys.

The originals are long gone, about a year ago or so I did one side with pads and a rotor after driving it for some time it started jerking to the left when we hit the brakes, I had then found out that Calipers should be replaced in pairs. Now since we do not travel but say 10-15 miles one way it was bothersome but not a big deal. We are planning a 1500 mile trip in May and I need to get this thing done right.

Sooo as we are pushing 200K and have been lucky as far as repairs go I am going just replace the pads, rotors, calipers and be good to go. We also pull an 8K lb camper in the summer so really need solid brakes.

I am not opposed to going Motorcraft calipers but the 2 Powerstop's with brackets for 125 from amazon is very tempting.

#6 ·
The originals are long gone, about a year ago or so I did one side...
OK Let me rephrase...

What's wrong with the CURRENT calipers?

#5 ·
You could also check pricing at RockAuto and always find 5% discount codes.

#10 ·
Steve83,

Front left caliper was replaced, when I replaced it I did just the rotor, caliper on left and pads on both sides.

I agree it may not be a great idea to replace everything for the front brakes.

However with the cost of shop time and having a shop diagnose and spend any time on the vehicle I would rather do it myself and replace parts.

Had I had fixed it the right way a year ago I would be ok but now that we have driven it a year the pads and rotors are going to have wear on them. In my eyes I will not be behind or throwing that much money away, maybe a caliper cost.

With us pulling a heavy camper during the summer and a Colorado trip through the mountains I do not see it as a bad idea to replace pads, and rotors. I am also going to flush the brake fluid when I do the brakes. I have kept up on other maintenance as needed.

If I find that the calipers are in good working order I will leave them or one. While pushing 200K miles I did not see it as bad practice replacing both calipers anyway. Yes maybe I should leave the one I replaced a year ago.

Is my approach on this wrong?

#12 ·
Front left caliper was replaced...
So the one you replaced is the one that's working (braking, pulling). The one you didn't isn't working as well, so that side of the truck keeps going forward when you brake. Before you spend any money on parts, and without paying a shop for labor or diagnosis, TRY just cleaning & lubricating the Right side. If it works, then you don't need to buy any parts until something is worn out (but you can buy/replace anything you like since you'll know where the problem was). If it DOESN'T fix the pull, you'll know the problem is elsewhere.

#11 ·
All of us do maintenance items at intervals so we can drive the distances and locations without worry. Some based on well established routines that are fact based, others where we feel comfortable that we will not have to worry. And when we can do it at a more advantageous time.

I know my belt can last 150-200k, but I replace it every 100k at home so when I'm traveling I don't have to worry I'll have an issue that requires higher costs and delays. At 200k I just replaced my power steering pump. It was fine but since both steering and braking rely on it, I'd rather pay the $100 at home in my driveway rather then a shop hundreds of miles from my home when I pull a trailer. Rotors I replace every 100k due to the rust blockage within the cooling vanes from winter driving with our road deciding chemicals.

On my wife's Lincoln LS I replaced every palstic part of the cooling system as that is when everyone starts to see the thermostat housings and other parts start to crack. On tear down you could see cracks starting to propagate. I certainly don't want her an hour away calling me she has a breakdown.

As long as it's not a financial burden you should do whatever you want to do to feel comfortable in your travels.

#15 ·
Ok back to my Original post, I should have brought it back on topic and not tried to explain the "why" or "whats wrong with existing". As that was never what I was asking.

Does anyone have any Experience with PowerStop calipers?

I had never asked for a "why" am I doing this.

PowerStop calipers are they any good? Any experience with them?

Thanks

#16 ·
When questions are presented to a general forum full of guys who like to take things apart and figure out how they work or how to make them better, then its very optimistic to think you can keep the helpful responses to a very narrow track.

You might have an easier time herding cats...but good luck :winking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.