Super Single Tires - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Super Single Tires

So I am looking to buy goodyear 445/65r22.5 tires for my truck and I have found a set of 4. That being said, 2 tires are perfect and have 30/32 tread all around. The other 2 have 30/32 all around except in one area about a foot long that goes the width of the tire where the tread is 25/32. Which is about 1/8 of an inch different. Is this something to be concerned about or should I just go ahead and buy them.

2 perfect tires are 500 a piece and the other two are 300. These are normally 1200 new so that is why I want them. Also I only drive the truck at most 5000 miles a year and it weighs 15000 pounds if that makes any difference...
F250Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bthor76
Just this week I was on the cusp of buying two for my F650 which of course would've replaced my worn Michelin duallys. The salesman at the Michelin truck tire store said that in ten years all trucks would probably be converting to them due to the MPG increases. They really look cool and I was being swayed but I can't let my emotions or prejudices get the better of me. As I always do before buying I did some research. The drivers on the truckers forums were running about 8:1 against them. The biggest concern was traction control. Although there is more rubber on the road that same rubber doesn't allow for water or snow to quickly go around the footprint like duallys do so the chance of hydroplaning increases dramatically. Go to YouTube and search super singles for more on this. The second major concern is that a catasphrophic loss of air pressure (blowout) requires an automatic roadcall of a tire service company. There of course is no limping to the next exit because of possible damage to the single rim and to make matters worse the rim may be damaged at the time of the blowout due to the weight of the truck and load resting on it. Another concern is that the tire service company may not have the tire and possibly the rim in stock due to the unpopularity of the super singles.

Beware of the super single they say.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.