Tire survey. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss your wheels, tires, brakes & suspension topics here.
Sponsored by Discount Tire

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire survey.

Its time to buy some new tires and i hate doing so bcause you never know if your gonna like them or not.So im looking for some suggestions based on the type of driving i do and where i live.

I live in NH put on about 25-30k per year do alot of driving in snow and ice also in the woods alot during hunting seasonso mud and rocks also.Im very fussy when it comes to winter handling because i wrk for the department of public works soim driving to work before plows make it out.Thanks for any input in advance.
Blue spring upgrade
4" turbo back MBRP
Zerex CAT EC-1 coolant
K&N cold air intake
Build date of 01/2005
2008 30' zinger TT
neal8809 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like bf goodrich all terrain they work for me in the snow do not howl and have had good luck with them.
Good luck they are all spendy.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Another vote for BF Goodrich All-Terrain's. I only use the BFG's or Michelin LTX M/S on mine. The BFG AT's are for what you are describing while the LTX is for more road driving with occasional off-road use. I bought a new set last Jan. ('12) and the price was $1,000 for 4 installed for either tire. Good luck with your decision.
2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS
01f25073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Agree BFG All Terrain KO's. Just make sure the size you get has the snowflake symbol. Most OEM sizes are rated for the extreme traction but some specific sizes of that tire don't have it. I'm sure actual traction will be the same but here in Oregon at least if you have the mountain/snowflake symbol then it will pass as a traction device, if it just has the M+S symbol then you have to chain up with the rest of them.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

about 5 years back i ran the BFG all terrians and i hated them in the snow.Seemed like they didnt clean out.Is any familar with the goodyear dura tracs?
Blue spring upgrade
4" turbo back MBRP
Zerex CAT EC-1 coolant
K&N cold air intake
Build date of 01/2005
2008 30' zinger TT
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Another vote for BFG All Terrains. I have run them on many things: CJ-5 31x10.50x15, 1988 F-350 35x12.50 (2 sets about 45k mileage each set), 1998 Chevy Z-71 (4 sets about 55k mileage each set). Ran BFG MT on CJ-5 in 32X11.50x15 and Moab Edition (soft sticky compound) in 33x12.50x15 no problems. In all those BFG's only had on one tire that was every damaged and it was driver's fault. BFG AT worked for me on highway, off road, rain, and a little snow.

I would be running BFG AT on my 2006 SD if BFG had a 37x12.50x18. Ended up with Toyo Open County AT LT285/75R18. So far so good on the Toyos they are very quiet, stop well in dry and rain. No experience with snow.
2006 4x4 F-350 XLT Short Bed, Super Cab, w/o shift-on-the-fly, no tinted windows, no sliding back window, dual alternators, Icon 2 1/2" (almost) leveling kit. Toyo Open Country LT285/75R18 . Banks Power Pack w/duals, AMP power steps, AMP manual bedside steps, Tuffy below bed rail side boxes.
Future_Arizonan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Around "here", the Hankook DynaPro ATM's have been popular. Good traction, good wear and quiet. Myself, I have a set of General Grabber AT2's on an old F150 that seem to be working well. On my "heavy hitter", Toyo M-55's; got tired of lesser tires going to hell too quickly for the price paid.
'94 1/2 F250 4x4, SuperCab XLT, 5 spd, SMF w/ Valaeo clutch, 4.10 (syn. lube), Cenex Maxtron 5W40 Syn, manual hubs, B&W Gooseneck hitch, Toyo M-55 tires in 235/85R16, authentic TYMAR intake, 4" AFE exhaust, FRP mod., SD starter, Isspro boost/pyro,digital thermometer, homebuilt exhaust brake, 178K "Its only a pickup. Trucks have a button on the shifter!"
tbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

any input on the toyo open country at2's? i realy like the looks.my main concern is snow traction and tire life span
Blue spring upgrade
4" turbo back MBRP
Zerex CAT EC-1 coolant
K&N cold air intake
Build date of 01/2005
2008 30' zinger TT
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Send a message via Skype™ to mattspersic@gmail.com
snow studs self-install for ice

You mentioned you run on snow before the plows runs. I run on snow a lot but also like more of the mud terrain (I know - not good at all on snow). If your snow is more like ice, then check out "maxigrip" studs. I run them all winter and they are bomber. You install them yourself (they come with a countersink tool for your electric drill). They have a carbide tip that doesn't seem to wear, I feel sorry for ice, I am on my third season (+21K mi). They do NOT install in snow tires with the holes for conventional studding.

Just something to keep in mind if your on a lot of ice.
mattspersic@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (64)
I run Dura Trac's (315's) . Best tire I've had yet. Ran BFG A/T's. Dura Trac blows them away. Also helps to have a couple hundred pounds of sandbags in the rear of the bed too in snowy conditions.
Eng Bld: 02/03/05 Indianapolis
2745 Hrs +/-, 97K Miles - No Major Probs
DC Power 185 Alternator
ZOODAD, SEIC,
Atlas 40 FICM @ 90K
4" Banks Turbo-Back Duals
3.5" Ready Lift
Bilstein 5100's
315 - 70R17 Duratrac's
Centramatics
Bodiak Front Receiver
SG2
Coolant Filter
HFCM Plug Upgrade
Blue Spring Upgrade
FP Gauge
Zerex Red ELC
2 Stroke TC-3W Oil added 1oz/Gallon Fuel
Band_Member is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have bfg ATS ko with the flake symbol. I like them but the ones I got I. My SIG are to wide for stock rims. They end up riding on just the center of the tire.makes for bad wear.

05 f350 crew long lariat.
4" turbo back magna flow
S&b intake
2.5 leveling kit
325/65 18 bfg ats
Dual flux capacitor
Egr deleted
SCT custom tunes
New ficm & interstates
brand new bulletbroof motor by DFC
ARP head studs
Edge cs guages
And some fancy floor mats
Phil A. Bowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.