Alarms - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2000, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alarms

What is the thought on the need for a car alarm. I also have an 97' Expedition, with no alarm, cause I thought that no one could steal it with the fancy key system. Guess not cause I just met a bank teller whose Expedition had been stolen.

So now I'm worried. I took advantage of the 0.9% financing on my 2000 PSD X and financed the whole wad. Add another $7,000 in goodies that I put on after delivery and you can see what a hole I'd be in if the thing got stolen and I had to by another one and pay a normal rate of interest on the loan

------------------
'00 Excursion PSD 4x4 3.73LS, 295 BFGs, Bilsteins, Hellwig sway bars front and rear
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2000, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Alarms

Just picked my X up from a friend's house and he installed the Sidewinder 6500 ESP alarm/remote start. I basically bought it because it is a remote start with a cool down feature called valet mode. It just happened to have an alarm attached. He works as an installer at Best Buy and got me his cost which is $129. My total installed was $440 including the window modules that allow you to vent the windows for my dog along with a one touch up and down feature on all four windows. The best feature is the ability to control run time in one minute increments with the use of a bitwriter. This is nice since I will program my alarm to run for five minutes when I shut it off to cool it down. The remotes range is also alot better than stock.

Huck

------------------
01' Excursion PSD Limited 4x4, Oxford White, 3.73 Limited Slip, Heated Seats, In Dash 6 CD Changer, Bug Shield, K&N, 305/70/16, Pro Comp Stabilizer, Edelbrocks, Standard Knock & Cackle
02'Excursion PSD LTD, 4x4, Hypermax Stage 1+ Injectors, Hypermax H2E, Hypermax Tapercore, Hypermax 5", Suncoast, Air Raid, TS Chip, Pioneer DVD & Nav., XM, XTANT Amps & Subs in Rear Doors, Boston Seperates, PS2, 2 6" Drop Down Screens, Hellwig Sway Bar, Carbon Fiber Ultra Lite Gauges, 3" DR lift, 295/75/16 Nittos, Bilsteins & Steering Stab., (Burned To the Ground)

01' Excursion PSD Ltd. 4x4, Oxford White,3.73 LS, BTS Trans, 6.0 L Cooler, Pioneer Nav, ADS/U.S. Amps, JL Audio Seperates & Subs, Viper Remote Start, Tymar, 315/75/16, Pro Comp Stab., Bilsteins, TS 4 Pos. Chip, Hypermax Combo Gauge, 4" Exhaust, V & B Code Springs

05 Excursion 4x4 6.0L
05' F250 CC, SB, 4x4 Harley, Blue, 4 Buckets (SOLD)
00' F350 CC 4x4 Lariat Dually, BTS Trans, (SOLD)
00' 40' American Tradition Motorhome 8.3L Cummins
88' Porsche 930 Turbo Cabriolet 450 HP
99' Mercedes E300TD
Huckster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2000, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Huckster:
[B]Just picked my X up from a friend's house and he installed the Sidewinder 6500 ESP alarm/remote start.

Does that void your Ford electrical system warranty?
danjon12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2000, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

danjon12,
It didn't void my warranty when the alarm pcm had a relay fail open and draw .5amps which took out both batteries, not only did the dealership troubleshoot the problem they warranteed both batteries. NOW that is good service. Now only if CARTOYS had the same customer service. I have been without my alarm almost longer than I was with it because they didn't have someone to send it in for warranty. Guess I will have to find someone else to install all the stereo gear necessary for the beast.
Dave

------------------
'00 Excursion XLT 4X4 PSD 3.73LS , K&N,WD,lighted running boards, overhead console/computer, leather,Edelbrock IAS,Hellwig Rear sway,Rancho RS5000 stabilizer, SPA Dual gauge EGT/Boost dash mtd, cd/6 cd changer, DEI Python 1500 ESP w/remote start and shutdown timer. And last but not least 4 Firechickens
Old 12-03-2000, 11:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

kflaig,
I have a Clifford 7000 alarm.As soon as you start the vehicle, all the doors lock. It can be programed to do it immediately, or at a certain RPM.It also has an anti-theft and hi-jacking set up that once you put the car in gear you have thirty seconds to enter your code.( I will admit that for years my .45 auto has successfully performed the anti-hijacking function) If you (or the thief) don't enter the proper code it will completely shut down and set off the alarm. They advertize that you don't need a system to locate the vehicle it it's stolen. You just wait 30 seconds and then walk down the street and get your vehicle. Some of their systems also have auto start, delayed shut down and also a feature that those of you in the cold country might appreciate. A thermostat that activates as soon as the temperature gets low enough and starts your car even when you are not around and then shuts down when the engine is warm. You can also add the idle down feature, which is my next addition The Mod. 7000 also provides the remote lock and unlock feature. If you should get out and forget to set the alarm, it will wait 60 seconds, and set itself. I reasearched alarms for awhile and this one is the best. Best news; the 7000 cost me $375.00 installed.
When I bought the Excursion they charged me $100 to remove it from the Exped. and add it to the Excur. It's worth a look.

------------------
01 Black Excursion XLT PSD 4x4 Com & Conv. group, leather, 3.73LS Tel. mirrors 305/70R16 Goodyears

[This message has been edited by scotpart (edited 12-04-2000).]
01 Black Excursion XLT PSD 4x4, loaded, 3.73LS, 305/70R16 Goodyears, Husky mats, Manik tube steps, J & J grill, K&N, Clifford Alarm, 4" exhaust-turbo back, 5" Magnaflow SS tip, Dynomax Race Magnum sound suppressor, Clear corner lens, back door storage bins."Scotpart 4X2 liftgate strut mod", 2002 headlights, Hellwig sway bar, Monroe Shocks, American Racing Wheels, Driver's A-post handle, Go Rhino 3000 front push bar and rear step.
scotpart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2000, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scotpart:
kflaig, Best news; the 7000 cost me $375.00 installed.
When I bought the Excursion they charged me $100 to remove it from the Exped. and add it to the Excur. It's worth a look.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When I bought my X they warned me that addition of any afterpurchase alarm would void my electrical system warranty. Is the Clifford 7000 approved by your dealer?

Old 12-04-2000, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Voiding of a warranty really frosts me! When I took delivery of my X, the sales lady asked me if I wanted an alarm installed. I said no that I already had one to install. She informed me that it would void my warranty. I was pissed anyway cause they were taking too long with the paperwork so I let loose on her. She shut up when I let her know about the law. I also reminded her that the contractor that installs the "dealer" alarms use the exact same alarm system that I have. These people try to intimidate the uninformed. Their bully tactics apparently are successful on some folks that don't know better. When they try it on me I make a scene so anyone within 50 feet can hear me. They don't do it twice to me. Good luck. TV

------------------
"01 Excursion, Ltd. PSD, 4x4,arrived 11/22. Adds:TRUCK VAULT, and more to follow.
Old 12-04-2000, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have the Viper 550 ESP installed on my Excursion. Just had it done a couple weeks ago now. Remote start and alarm are a part of the combo, the total cost after install was $497. I had it installed at Circuit City, they guarantee the install for the life of the vehicle. Should you sell your vehicle and want to remove the alarm, they will uninstall it for free.

I have had Viper alarms on my last four Fords (including the Excursion) and the dealers have never said anything. If there are any problems with wiring caused by the alarm install, this is usually taken care of by the installer as a part of their "guarantee." I have never had an electrical problem with an alarm.

As far as the need for an alarm... I believe it's necessary if you have some expensive toys inside your vehicle. I had a few thousand dollars in stereo equipment in oen of my cars that was kept safe by an alarm. I had the pager feature with that alarm and one night it went off, I went out to the car to find a broken window, but nothing stolen. The alarm scared the theives away.

Anyone who knows what they're doing can steal the vehicle, I don't care what someone says. It's all a matter of how much time they have. A buddy of mine who used to install alarm said that he wouldn't have a problem disabling an alarm if he had enough time to do so. The alarm will scare off just about anyone if they are trying to steal things in your vehicle or the vehicle itself.

Nothing can escape a flat bed, though. This was a quote from a buddy who is a mechanic. He worked at a shop and he would always have to tow disabled vehicles. A disabled vehicle can always be winched up onto a flatbed and towed away.

As far as the person being able to drive your vehicle away with an alarm...not likely. By the time you hear the alarm going off they will probably be running. If not, then you have the pleasure of chasing them down.

All in all, I would recommend an alarm to anyone who has things inside the vehicle that can be removed. I really didn't have a need for one because I felt the factory alarm was fine. The factory alarm w/ the chip in the key is a good combo. An aftermarket alarm is excellent for preventing theft of things inside the vehicle.

------------------
-Eric
2000 Excursion Limited, 1989 F150, 1997 F250, 1991 Bronco
Old 12-04-2000, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by erlong:
[B]All in all, I would recommend an alarm to anyone who has things inside the vehicle that can be removed. I really didn't have a need for one because I felt the factory alarm was fine. The factory alarm w/ the chip in the key is a good combo. An aftermarket alarm is excellent for preventing theft of things inside the vehicle.

Good succinct advice. I don't have any expensive toys in my X yet. So I'll stick with what I got for now. However, does anyone know how are passive theft systems work?

Old 12-04-2000, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Danjon12
I've had Fords for years, and I know all the service people at the dealer I use. They have never said one thing to me about any additions to the trucks. I think that they try to get you to buy their products in any way that they can, but most of it is BS. The 7000 has a valet mode that completely by passes the alarm so the dealer doesn't have to worry about it when the truck is in for service. I had it installed at a place called Cartronics, and they do very professional work. I'm sure that Clifford doesn't want to face any legal action,so they probably go to great lengths to insure a good installation.

------------------
01 Black Excursion XLT PSD 4x4 Com & Conv. group, leather, 3.73LS Tel. mirrors 305/70R16 Goodyears
01 Black Excursion XLT PSD 4x4, loaded, 3.73LS, 305/70R16 Goodyears, Husky mats, Manik tube steps, J & J grill, K&N, Clifford Alarm, 4" exhaust-turbo back, 5" Magnaflow SS tip, Dynomax Race Magnum sound suppressor, Clear corner lens, back door storage bins."Scotpart 4X2 liftgate strut mod", 2002 headlights, Hellwig sway bar, Monroe Shocks, American Racing Wheels, Driver's A-post handle, Go Rhino 3000 front push bar and rear step.
Old 12-04-2000, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Danjon12,

Erlong is right, the primary reason for my alarm is to avoid having goodies stolen from the vehicle. Although the alarm that I have will activate if the vehicle is lifted 10 degrees from whatever position it was left in, I'm really less concerned about the theft of the vehicle.

The problem with the Ford system is that it doesn't activate with a broken window and can be disconnected by punching the drivers lock in and opening it with a screw driver. The AH's that broke in the last time, must have spent quite a bit of time in my vehicle as they stole EVERYTHING including a pair of old shoes and a bottle of windex. (With any luck I'll spot a guy cleaning windows on some corner wearing my shoes and listening to my CD's)

------------------

[This message has been edited by scotpart (edited 12-05-2000).]
Old 12-05-2000, 12:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by danjon12:
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by erlong:
All in all, I would recommend an alarm to anyone who has things inside the vehicle that can be removed. I really didn't have a need for one because I felt the factory alarm was fine. The factory alarm w/ the chip in the key is a good combo. An aftermarket alarm is excellent for preventing theft of things inside the vehicle.

Good succinct advice. I don't have any expensive toys in my X yet. So I'll stick with what I got for now. However, does anyone know how are passive theft systems work?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In order for the factory Ford alarm to "go off" a door has to be opened by some other means than the key, keyless entry, or keypad. This is obviously useless against a theif who breaks a window and climbs through it. The X window openings are big enough for a person to easily fit through if the glass is broken.

The factory alarm also does not have a shock sensor which is what almost all good aftermarket alarms have. This is what generally detects a window being broken due to the force used in breaking the window. If this doesn't trigger the shock sensor, then a person climbing around inside the vehicle most likely will. Aftermarket alarms also add features like doorguards, which will cause the alarm to go off if any door, rear door, or the hood is opened. My Viper 550 ESP has a starter kill feature that will not allow the vehicle to start if the hood is unlatched.

------------------
-Eric
2000 Excursion Limited, 1989 F150, 1997 F250, 1991 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.