best fuel de-icer, and anti gel? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best fuel de-icer, and anti gel?

It never fails, once or twice a winter, my fuel lines or something gels up and leaves me stranded and waiting for a tow to the local Ford dealer. I'm getting real tired of it.

What are your recommendations for the best brand de-icer, and anti gel additives?/

BTW, I've tried Howe's and it was a miserable failer.
A MAN AND HIS TRUCK, IT'S A BEATUFUL THING
01 Excursion LTD (EBM3) 7.3L, PSD, Turbo, 4X2, 177K, TTS chip (original owner)
86 Buick Grand National (original owner)
87 Buick Grand National (second owner)
12 Lincoln MKT, 3.5 twin turbo Ecoboost
turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2004, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: best fuel de-icer, and anti gel?

I've read that Arctic Express and Diesel 9-1-1 works well.

Are you using any additives such as Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost each time you fill up during the winter?

Bill

BTS Transmission, 6.0L cooler, 13" PI Stallion TC,
Magnaflow 4" ,FRX ,CVD Valving, Bilstein 5100 shocks,AFE Stage 2,Adrenaline HPOP ordered!
CHPMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2004, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried Howes and it was a miserable failer.

[/ QUOTE ]
You must have not used it properly. Howes will pay your tow bill if you gel while using there treatment. Howes Lubricator is the #1 selling brand of Diesel Additives in North America. I have had good luck with Howes and Schaeffer's.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I've read that Arctic Express and Diesel 9-1-1 works well.

Are you using any additives such as Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost each time you fill up during the winter?

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do, with every fill up. I cant remember the brand, but it's everywhere, especially at the truck stop I get my fuel.
It comes in a grey bottle for summer use (cetane booster), and a white bottle for winter (supplement+cetane boost+anti gell). Maybe I wasn't using enough. Used a half bottle per tank.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've tried Howes and it was a miserable failer.

[/ QUOTE ]
You must have not used it properly. Howes will pay your tow bill if you gel while using there treatment. Howes Lubricator is the #1 selling brand of Diesel Additives in North America. I have had good luck with Howes and Schaeffer's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried using it per the label directions. I've even tried it a little stronger.
I'm not worried about the tow cost, I've got AAA. I just had the pain in the butt of having to be towed.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do, with every fill up. I cant remember the brand, but it's everywhere, especially at the truck stop I get my fuel.
It comes in a grey bottle for summer use (cetane booster), and a white bottle for winter (supplement+cetane boost+anti gell). Maybe I wasn't using enough. Used a half bottle per tank.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure sounds like Power Service as I use the grey summer and white winter on fill-ups.

We were in the 0-18 degree range for days and didn't gel up,I add 5 ounces additive to every 15 gallons fuel both seasons.
CHPMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2004, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Dave

I Don't see why you are having problems I am not far away in Asheville and have filled up in TN many times when cost was lower than here and that is most of the time.

I have used the power service since my truck was new I did use the Rotilla product when Sam's had it but I have not seen it around.

I only use about 2 cups per 36 to 40 fill up so I am not using as much as they say but I try to use only fuel that should be blended. I buy it in the large bottle and refill one of the white small bottles that fit next to the jack in the back, that way if it leaks it is on that rubber and since it is by the blower you know about it right away.

I figure using the stuf is about free since my MPG goes up about .5 anyway.

Knock on wood but I am close to 100k without haveing a gelling problem.
We were in michigan over the holliday and it was 2 degrees Christmas morning, plugged it in for two hours and it made a little racket for less than a minute then the warmer oil and water warmed the rest of the engine and it was normal.

Are you filling up out on I 40 or a local place that still may have #2? If you think you may be getting number 2 then follow the recomended "dose" then add a little and you should be fine heck it does not get that cold here.

Bruce
Tekonsha Prodigy
Ford 30MM Rear Bar
BridgeStone 285/75-16AT(D range) Revos, Now have a winter and summer set each with a set of wheels!
V Code LF, U Code RF Modified Fs in the rear
Catch All Linners
750 W Inverter
Magnaflow XL System W/ 3.5 DP OE Cat spliced in at 4" inlet and 3-3/4" outlet.
ART Rotors, Performance Friction Pads, Front & Rear
Rancho RSXs on Front and 9000s set at 2 on rear
06 Chrome Package Grill,bumpers and hooks. After an encounter with a Honda, (She got the ticket)
2005 Ex and Specs and Pictures of 2002 X
Bruce1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2004, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Dave

I Don't see why you are having problems I am not far away in Asheville and have filled up in TN many times when cost was lower than here and that is most of the time.

I have used the power service since my truck was new I did use the Rotilla product when Sam's had it but I have not seen it around.

I only use about 2 cups per 36 to 40 fill up so I am not using as much as they say but I try to use only fuel that should be blended. I buy it in the large bottle and refill one of the white small bottles that fit next to the jack in the back, that way if it leaks it is on that rubber and since it is by the blower you know about it right away.

I figure using the stuf is about free since my MPG goes up about .5 anyway.

Knock on wood but I am close to 100k without haveing a gelling problem.
We were in michigan over the holliday and it was 2 degrees Christmas morning, plugged it in for two hours and it made a little racket for less than a minute then the warmer oil and water warmed the rest of the engine and it was normal.

Are you filling up out on I 40 or a local place that still may have #2? If you think you may be getting number 2 then follow the recomended "dose" then add a little and you should be fine heck it does not get that cold here.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Bruce, my "location" info is supposed to say Sevierville TN (SOON). I'm not there yet. House should be completed in a couple weeks.

Right now, I'm still up here in MI, the temps over the last 4-5 days have been in the low single digits everynight, and nothing over 15 days. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2004, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
...I've tried Howe's and it was a miserable failer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, that's interesting. I've used Howes for many years in many different trucks and NEVER had a problem. In smaller trucks, like our Excursions and pickups, Howes says to use twice as much treatment as directed for large trucks. I use a full bottle of Howes per tank in my Excursion. That's a bit more than required but it doesn't hurt anything and it's easy to measure. Over-treating diesel fuel with Howes has no detrimental effects.

Based upon my experience with Howes, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it if they followed the directions.

I live in Wyoming and I treat ALL the fuel going into any of my trucks during cold weather. Gelled fuel sucks at best and can get you killed at worst, so I don't take any chances.
00 Excursion Limited, Detroit Locker, (rear), X code front springs & f-350 rear blocks, Edlebrock Shocks, Firestone Air Bags, (rear), Helweg Anti-Sway Bars, (front & rear), Rancho Steering Stabilizer, BFG A/T 285's.
OB-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2004, 06:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I've tried Howe's and it was a miserable failer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, that's interesting. I've used Howes for many years in many different trucks and NEVER had a problem. In smaller trucks, like our Excursions and pickups, Howes says to use twice as much treatment as directed for large trucks. I use a full bottle of Howes per tank in my Excursion. That's a bit more than required but it doesn't hurt anything and it's easy to measure. Over-treating diesel fuel with Howes has no detrimental effects.

Based upon my experience with Howes, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it if they followed the directions.

I live in Wyoming and I treat ALL the fuel going into any of my trucks during cold weather. Gelled fuel sucks at best and can get you killed at worst, so I don't take any chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say a bottle per tank, what size bottle are you talking about? I decided to give it another try, and bought a bottle yesturday, but it's a pretty large bottle.
thanks.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
When you say a bottle per tank, what size bottle are you talking about? I decided to give it another try, and bought a bottle yesturday, but it's a pretty large bottle.
thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the large bottles which treat 250 gallons in a large truck or 125 in a small one. Since you're in TN, I'd use a full large bottle for 2-3 tanks and then use 1/2 a bottle per tank after that.

Truckstops usually charge about $10/bottle for Howes. A local Farm & Ranch store gets $7.50/bottle. I went on-line and found a local distributor and now pay about $6.75/bottle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
00 Excursion Limited, Detroit Locker, (rear), X code front springs & f-350 rear blocks, Edlebrock Shocks, Firestone Air Bags, (rear), Helweg Anti-Sway Bars, (front & rear), Rancho Steering Stabilizer, BFG A/T 285's.
OB-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2004, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the large bottles which treat 250 gallons in a large truck or 125 in a small one. Since you're in TN, I'd use a full large bottle for 2-3 tanks and then use 1/2 a bottle per tank after that.

Truckstops usually charge about $10/bottle for Howes. A local Farm & Ranch store gets $7.50/bottle. I went on-line and found a local distributor and now pay about $6.75/bottle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a whole bottle for an excursion tank??
BTW, I'm still in MI!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have been using Standayne Performance Formula since I bought the Excursion. The label recommends 16 oz. to treat 60 gal. of diesel.

In conjunction with 5W30 Amsoil synthetic diesel oil, I have started in temperatures as cold as -27F, I use #2 diesel whenever I can get it.

I replaced the batteries when they were 4 years old.

My diesel has never been kept in a heated garage, IT HAS NEVER BEEN PLUGGED IN!

IT HAS ALWAYS STARTED!
2000 Excursion Limited born 11/99 4x4 Toreador Red ext./gray int. 7.3PSD, 3.73LS, Skidplates, Pwr/Htd TeleMirrors, 6CDchanger, HtdBuckets, LT265/75R16E Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, Ford Wraparound deflector, PSDV8 badging, RoofMarkerLights, Tekonsha Sentinel brake cntrlr, PCM=AXD0, Edge Evolution II, WalkerBigTruck Muffler, RS9000, RS5410, Performance Friction 2 piece rotors/pads, Sylvania SilverStars, Landyot Gen III, Air Lift rear air bag system, Amsoil from MAXoil.com in diffs/trans/transfer 413k miles.
ExcursionPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Schaeffer's #300 Arctic Flow Plus. I have used this to treat both highway and off-road (un-cut) fuel. Following the usage guide (approximately) I have not cut my off road fuel with kerosene for two winters now. Great stuff!
SMTatham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2005, 11:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

live here in mi to don't plug in and never had any gelling yet

loud and rough on them cold mornings but always starts 03 6.0

just started pluging it in thought to shorten the warm up time.

bought some powerservice (white bottle) today for the milage increase

leave on a ski trip tomorrow will see if it works.
4play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.