Best mpg improvement mods? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2003, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best mpg improvement mods?

Just traded my 2000 Tundra on a 6.0 Excursion this morning, in no small part because of the longevity and improved mileage of diesels. I'm something of a traveling salesman and tend to drive a lot (1200 miles last week), so improvements in mpg mean a lot more to me than most.

Admittedly I'd like more horsepower than a top fuel dragster but I really don't need the headache of a fragged tranny. However I don't tow much (ok, almost never) so that should help durability-wise.

So the question is what's the best way to spend less than $2k to improve mileage? These are great forums BTW...

Kane
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Best mpg improvement mods?

Welcome,
My best mods for MPG's were free flow muffler, intake and 60hp chip. 20.5 MPG on round trip to Corpus Christi was my best usually 18-18.5 mpg. Baby the pedal, stay under 65 mph or you will lose 1 mpg per 5 mph anything over that. I get 17 maybe 17.5 now with 80hp chip, intake, 315/75/16's, and 2 inches of lift. I wouldn't go back either!!!

You will spend more money on this truck than you Toy.. Oil, fuel filters, ball joints, shocks/stabilizer, swaybar, misc. motors that crap out, I could go on but you get the picture..
I drive about 500 miles a week in a 92 Accord, 170K, 28 MPG Intown, org. clutch, org. rear brakes, 3rd set of tires, no drips/smoke/major repairs yet! Bought it for $1 from the parents. They feel they got the $'s worth out of it. Thats economy!!

Tx
2001 X, 4x4, White, Limited, PSD,. Oil Guard, Stull 6099 Grille, AFE Intake, X Monitor, Sonnax/Tricumulator, Mobil 1 ATF w/Racor tranny filter, PHP Custom Burn Chip, Walker BTM, W Code Frt Springs, Procomp Add-a-Leaf Rear, Rancho 9000XL's w/5406 SS. Pics @ http://community.webshots.com/user/txangler32
TXANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2003, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I plan on running 285/75 tires without a lift. Admitted that will cost maybe 0.5mpg but the stockers are just too little. I was running 295/75's on my Tundra with a 2.5" lift and a little rubbing. Hopefully without much off road action and close to stock suspension/tires my ball joints will life a long healthy life.

So an intake/exhaust and some sort of flip chip ought to pretty much handle it?

Kane
Old 08-16-2003, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)

Try a tall tire like the LT255/85R16D Dunlop Radial Rover AT and keep them at 65 psi.
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2003, 05:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

You won't get huge gains, but I'd vote for a free flowing exhaust (take your pick) and a less restrictive air filter. (unless you operate in extremely dusty situations) I'd also spend the 5-10 minutes to replace the quick connect fittings on the fuel pump with a piece of diesel rated hose and 2 worm drive clamps. (not much of mileage improver, but definately better than the POS qc connectors that ford gives you). You'd still have enough left over for a programmer or chip. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have a good one,
Dave
2002 Excursion Limited - 7.3 PSD, 4x4, Auto. Tekonsha Prodigy Controller. ISSPRO EV Gauges in A-Pillar mount. Diesel Turbo Lifesaver. Pre-pump Mod. SCMT-Trimode. AIC. Back Door storage bins. Banks 3 1/2 inch Monster Exhaust. AIS. "U-Code" Springs. Powerstroker Exhaust Brake. Husky Liners. Bilstein Shocks. ART Brakes, Helwig Rear Anti-swaybar. Zoodad Mod. Airlift Rear Airbags. Racor 3550 CCV. Forest River Wildcat 26FBS TT.

2003 VW Jetta TDI - completely stock and 49mpg!
2003 Kubota B2910
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2003, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Never, ever let it rev over 2000 RPM. Forget the big tires. They are counterproductive for MPG.
Evans, 203 degree thermostat, Poor Man's Tymar, 4" Single SS Exhaust, Rugged Air Dam
225-75x16E tires in front 235-85x16Es in back, tires aired up to 100 psi, Lowered 4" in front and 6" in back, "Fastback" bed fairing
21.3 MPG before mods
27.0 MPG tested with mods
Dave Whitmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ironically my Ex showed up with BF Goodrich tires, maybe I'll keep 'em a while [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

First 300 miles: 17.9 mpg, appears to be a strong running Ex. Life is good.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Try the 203 degree thermostat. I got an additional 0.5 MPG. Cheap mod.
Evans, 203 degree thermostat, Poor Man's Tymar, 4" Single SS Exhaust, Rugged Air Dam
225-75x16E tires in front 235-85x16Es in back, tires aired up to 100 psi, Lowered 4" in front and 6" in back, "Fastback" bed fairing
21.3 MPG before mods
27.0 MPG tested with mods
Dave Whitmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2003, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Exhaust system, air intake are the first things that come to mind with a mild chip.
2001 F-250 Crew, long box, 4x4, Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Ford AIS air intake with foam sleeve, Monster exhaust, Aeroturbine, exhaust Guide, 6.0L intercooler, Di-Pricol Optix gauges, IHC CPS, Premo Oil Refiner, Banks Exhaust brake, SmartLock, Banks Quick Turbo, Six-Gun.

2000 Excursion PSD limited, Banks Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Banks Transcommand, UNI 2-stage foam air filter, 4" aluminized exhaust with 4" down pipe and 2 Aeroturbines.

97 F-250 Powerstoke 4x4 Banks Power Pack etc.

2006 VW Jetta, PD TDI, not modified yet[/i]
carnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2003, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just installed the Edge "juice" chip tonight and took her for a spin. So far I just have the Afe filter/housing and the chip, so I didn't even consider the 100hp setting. At 50hp I noticed a significant difference. At 75hp I think I may have seen the Lord. I put it back to 50hp for safety until I get the turbo back exhaust installed this week. If you have a 6.0 Ex and don't have a chip, you simply have no idea what a difference it makes. I want to give rides just so I can see the expression on my friends faces [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2003, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

How does a 203 degree thermostat improve your mileage? Also, what is the cost, ease of installation and place to buy one? Thanks
2003 Excursion Limited-Aspen Green Metallic, 6.0, 4 X 4, quad captain's chairs, DVD, Silverstar Head lights/Fog lights, Fumoto drain valve, OEM mud flaps front and rear, Ultimat, TT-mirrors, Hellwig front and rear anti-sway bars, 2003 Powerstroke badges on rear door, sides and radiator, Harpooned fuel tank.
Guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2003, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Edge Juice Box set to 50hp = -1.5mpg on the highway (722.6 miles in two days, filled up at the same pump both times). No test is perfect, but as an engineer this was a pretty dammed objective comparison. My next test will be with a DPPI turbo back and no chip.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

FYI,
Superchip 80, BTM muffler, AFE, 315/75/16's and 80-85mph earned me 15.9 hand calc'd over Labor Day. 18+ can be had at 65mph.
2001 X, 4x4, White, Limited, PSD,. Oil Guard, Stull 6099 Grille, AFE Intake, X Monitor, Sonnax/Tricumulator, Mobil 1 ATF w/Racor tranny filter, PHP Custom Burn Chip, Walker BTM, W Code Frt Springs, Procomp Add-a-Leaf Rear, Rancho 9000XL's w/5406 SS. Pics @ http://community.webshots.com/user/txangler32
TXANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.