DTC Code P0676 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DTC Code P0676

My Service Engine Soon light came on and stayed on this morning. Truck is running fine. I used my Superchips programmer to read the codes and only P0676 come up. This has something to do with Glow Plug circuit #6. I cleared the code and everything seems to be OK. My question is, Is this something that could be intermittent? Is it a sign of problems to come? Should it re-occur, is the fix replacment of the glow plug?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: DTC Code P0676

My Service CD shows the following possible causes:
open glow plug circuit
* damaged connector
* shorted glow plug circuit
* faulty GPCM (Glow Plug Control Module)
* failed glow plug

Note: Glow plugs are numbered front to rear with even numbers on left side of engine.

Basically look for any connectors off or loose. Chech the wiring harness for any exposed wires. Check the resistance of the glow plug its self:
Measure resistance between glow plug wiring terminal and engine ground
If its more than 5 ohms then replace the glow plug and reset the code and re-test. If it is less than 5 ohms the problem may lie in the GPCM. My service manual says to replace the GPCM.

I had the GPCM go out and it took the the alternator and a battery with it. EXPENSIVE! I don't remember the exact price but it was more than $650!

I hope this helps!
Old 04-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had this happen to mine with the #3 glow plug. I reset the computer with my superchips programmer and the light has never come on again. This happened about 20k-30k miles ago.
2000 Excursion Limited PSD 4X4 Green/Tan 5" Superlift Selectride, Bilsteins, 35" BFG A/T, 16X10 Eagle Alloys, 3.73 gears, 203 Thermostat Turbo back 4" Banks Exhaust, 5" tip, Superchips 1705 Power Programmer,K&N Cold Air Intake,DVD system and Audiovox LCD monitor, Custom Bumper,4 KC Hilites
http://community.webshots.com/album/321346005bpfSxB?7
jguzman75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

HOLY$HIT!
I just went through the SAME exact thing with a P0676 code too!
I replaced EVERYTHING starting from the Valve cover gasket (has an electrical connector built in it) That did not fix it, then I replaced the wiring harness under the valve cover, that did not fix it. Then all 4 of the glow plugs on the drives side, that did not fix it. Finally replaced the glow plug control module.......that did fix it!
Lots of time and money! But better than getting taken by the stealership!

If the problem only comes back in the morning when you start it up,
then you clear it with the superchips programmer, and does NOT come back untill the engine has totally cooled down and restarted.......
You might want to replace the GPCM first!
Even the dealer tech called Ford.......and they told him to replace the glow plug..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Same 2000 Excursion....with the same Isspro pillar mounted guages and the same Superchips programmer!! Too WEIRD!!!

P.S. sometimes I had to clear that P0676 code 4-5 times to really get it out of there, after you clear it out....go right back in there and read the DTC's again to see if it really cleared it out of there.

For some reason it wont always clear it out on the first, second or even third try...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Click on this and read all the posts I had about it!
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...;Limit=25&amp;
TedExcursion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

On our VW TDI diesels an itermittent glow plug "problem" CEL comes up all the time( most do) and all it usually is, is a poor connection between the glow plug and the connector.
2006 VW Jetta TDI
DR.billZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! Good information. Unfortunately the code popped back up. I'll have to check out the connections. I've got 98K on it and am debating on if it is worth taking it to the dealer. $100 deductible would be OK if it is something like the GPCM, but a nice chunk of change for a glow plug. Thanks for the detail!
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.