Ex tank size - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ex tank size

I know technically the tank is supposed to be 44 gallons, but how much of that is usable? I just got myself an 02 Excursion and am wondering how low I can run before filling up. Last fill up I got 37 gallons in and the gauge was halfway between empty and a quarter full.

Thanks,
Ed
ugabiged88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ex tank size

I regularly put 45 in mine. I tend to push it on empty
2001 X, 4x4, White, Limited, PSD,. Oil Guard, Stull 6099 Grille, AFE Intake, X Monitor, Sonnax/Tricumulator, Mobil 1 ATF w/Racor tranny filter, PHP Custom Burn Chip, Walker BTM, W Code Frt Springs, Procomp Add-a-Leaf Rear, Rancho 9000XL's w/5406 SS. Pics @ http://community.webshots.com/user/txangler32
TXANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've put 42 in once
2001 PSD Excursion 4x4 Limited 7" Superlift Softride lift, 315/75/16 Toyo M/T, Fox shocks, Hellwig rear sway-bar, Air-lift airbags, Autometer Ultra Lite tranny/pyro gauges, DP tuner, Swamps 175/146 single shots, Wicked Wheel, AFE Progard 7, 4" turbo-back exhaust, John Woods tranny w/ 6.0 billet TC, and T/C lock-up switch, Tru-Cool Max tranny cooler. Topped off by Jody's famous tunes.

Audio System: Eclipse 8053 head unit, Arc Audio XXK4050 amp, Arc Audio XXK1500 amp, 6" Morel Integra, JL12w6v2.
WannabePSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to coldair

I consider my tank empty when i get to the half way mark, this way I always have enough fuel for an emergency, it also limits the amount of air that can be leaked into the oring at the fuel mixing valve
2002 Excursion LTD(PCM:NQW5)Pheltech Tru-Cowl Induction Hood BTS transmission FASS and ITP fuel system, 38/15.5/20 Toyo's on Weld 12" wide wheels,15k warn and warn 9.5k rear 4:30s ARB air lockers front and Dana80 rear. Trail ready front bumper,Road Armor rear bumper light force driving lights, PIAA backup lights,Dakota digital gages, F5 DP tuner chip,Hypermax stage 2 injectors,4" exhaust, 11" Edge lift, King shocks, edge crossover steering, ORU ram assist steering
OneUp ladder bars,TN turbo, Dynatrac conversion kit. Alpine F1, Zapco amps. two dc1100.1, three dc1000.4, 1 dc750.2, driving seas reference series front stage and Zapco competition rear fill and 2 Jl audio 13w7 subs
AP Racing big brakes, Amp Research running boards
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I also rarely let my tank drop much below half. I like have several hundred miles worth of fuel available for any emergency.
Plus, don't run your tank to empty. Let any modern electric fuel pump run dry, even for a few seconds can cause some pretty harsh damage.
A MAN AND HIS TRUCK, IT'S A BEATUFUL THING
01 Excursion LTD (EBM3) 7.3L, PSD, Turbo, 4X2, 177K, TTS chip (original owner)
86 Buick Grand National (original owner)
87 Buick Grand National (second owner)
12 Lincoln MKT, 3.5 twin turbo Ecoboost
turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

I ran out one car length from the fuel pump once. I got used to the fuel indicator vs reality and usually ran it down so I would put in 40 gallons at a time.
Allison 1000 5 speed auto
clamgulch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

The most I have ever put in was 44.013 gallons, after 774.3 miles. My best range was 832.3 miles on a single tank and it took 43.553 gallons to fill up after that. I have never run it dry but obviously I have been close. I have found that the "miles to go" calculation on the overhead display gets very iffy when down below 100 miles to go. It decreases faster than the distance traveled. I have found that when it says 100 miles, I really have less than 50 so I start looking for fuel. By the way, if anyone cares the 832 was on soy based B5 fuel.
pjaffray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not proud of it but I have put 45 1/2 gallons in but she was really empty. Must have coasted in and filled it to the top of the tube.
2000 Excursion 4x4, X codes/F350 blocks, 285 Bfg At's load range E's, 4" turbo back MBRP, Stage 1 AFE, Gauges, Dp tuner F5 high idle/40 tow/80 tow/80 economy/120 race/140 race, Cryo'd rotors/performance friction pads. Weighing in at a portly 8500lbs with 1/2 a tank of fuel!! Built for towing
2dedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

47 gals and it was sputtering
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.