Excursion Shock replacement costs and difficulty - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion Shock replacement costs and difficulty

Just thinking of replacing shocks, and wondering what they cost and how hard it is...

81k miles and they're ridin pretty hard...Not looking for something for offroad, just dependable for towing (7k loaded). Thanks!

My PSD X

2000 Excursion 7.3L PSD 4X4
DP-Tuner F5 : no start, stock, 40T, Decel, 80T, 80E - AutoMeter A pillar w/ 3 Phantom gauges - DIY Tymar intake w/ S&B conical filter - Zoodad mod - Suncoast Extreme Duty Trans rebuild w/ TransGo Shift kit, Amsoil synthetic ATF & Magnefine inline filer - BD Triple Disc Billet Torque Converter - 4" Stainless Steel Turbo Back (4" down pipe) Magnaflow exhaust - ATS Turbo housing and 4" intake sleeve - Turbo Master Wastegate Controller - HX Oil Crossover - Morse Ceramic brake pads - Monroe Reflex Shocks - Energy Suspension Bushings - IC foil wrap delete - Fumoto Oil Valve - 08' Aluminum Rear Differential Cover - White Night reverse light system - Garmin StreetPilot c340 GPS - 6.o tranny cooler - Dieselsite Coolant Filter w/ CAT ELC coolant - Amsoil Single Bypass Oil Filter w/ Rotella 5W40 synthetic oil - APC white gauge cluster face - Dual in-dash DVD w/ Infinity Reference speakers & Blaupunkt 200A powered sub - 4.5" LED marker/turn lights in front bumper - ViAir HD onboard air system w/ 380C compressor, 2.5 gal tank & Grover stutter tone air horn - FireStone RideRite suspension air bags -

TOWING:
2004 Dutchmen 31BH travel trailer
detroitfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Excursion Shock replacement costs and difficulty

It's only 10 bolts for all four shocks. You'll need an extension to get to the top mount on the rears. I did mine in under an hour, and I work slow. The concensus around here seems to be Bilsteins, but I put Rancho 9000's on mine. I think I'll try Bilsteins next time.

Mark
2001 Excursion 4x4, Western Diesel gauges, DP-Tuner, T500, ATS housing, TM wastegate controller, 6637, MBRP 4" exhaust, 6.0 tranny cooler, BTS, BFG AT 285/75-16's, Red Head steering box, Hellwig sway bar, v-codes/AirLift bags
ScaldedDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Takes maybe 1/2 hour to 45 min. check Donahoe Signature shocks out, a little more $$ but won't corrode or rust since they are cleared.
Cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)

I used Bilsteins. I am not looking back and am very happy with them. Easy job. About 30-60 minutes worth.
SOLD: '02 PSD Excursion LTD Ultimate 4X4 Mineral Gray, PSD badges, Banks Exhaust, AIS air filter, DP-Tuner, Fuel mods, V code (2C3Z-5310-HA, AKA 3C34-5310-ADA) and modified F code (6C34-5560-F aka 5C32-5560-FA) springs with Timbren rear overloads, Bilstein shocks, hellwig sway bar, Powerslot Cyro rotors with Hawk LTS pads, IH CPS part # 1826899C93 (original CPS).
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Bilstein's...BE5-6209-HO on rear and BE5-6208-HO on the front. I've had mine on for I believe over 70k miles and have towed many times with them...they work great for me.
*SOLD - 2000 X ltd.,white/parchment 4X4 loaded,285/75/16 BFG's,dvd,converted 06 oem grill,Xtint,New style clear headlights & clear corners,Fumoto,cut front bumps,Bilstein's,ass'd X badges & ass'd door PSD badges,ISSPRO EV gauges,clear cab lights, Wet Okole front seat covers, Weathertech visors,Pro-Comp steer stab.,Tymar Perf.intake, AIH removal mod w/boost tap,muffler delete turbo back Magnaflow 4" SS exhaust,WW,ATS Housing,Turbomaster controller,CCV Bypass,Edge Evolution Programmer(Extreme every day including towing),Cryo treated Power Slot rotors all around w/Hawk LTS pads,Duralast Gold Batteries, etc HD Heritage Softtail I Love! Will return to boating when sons get older at 2mm LOTO, MO! Harley much cheaper on fuel! Joined the other side with a 2004 2500 HD CC SB GMC Duramax...got a great deal!!
http://community.webshots.com/user/jweiler27
Work hard, play hard; strive to be the best at whatever you are doing!
Jeff27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Jerry,

I used the Blistens as well.

I don't see that you have the rear sway bar installed yet?

If not, do that soon.

The shocks make a small difference but the sway bar is the best easy install for improved handling I have installed so far.

The shocks need replaced solely because: if you look close, you will see the OEM shocks leaking!

Chuck

2002 KIA Sedona- SOLD-
barlowcw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2007, 03:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bilstein for me too....just did them and they work great. I should say that I don't know much about the others, but they made a big diff over the OE.
dohannes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Bilsteins for me too.

I would advise you to change the "nuts" that the rear shocks screw into. Sometimes they break when taking them out and sometimes they break after you put the screw back in. Ask me how I know. Best get 4 of them, replace them and forget about it.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Anybody have the Bilstien numbers for a 4x2?
A MAN AND HIS TRUCK, IT'S A BEATUFUL THING
01 Excursion LTD (EBM3) 7.3L, PSD, Turbo, 4X2, 177K, TTS chip (original owner)
86 Buick Grand National (original owner)
87 Buick Grand National (second owner)
12 Lincoln MKT, 3.5 twin turbo Ecoboost
turbodave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here.

Looks like BE5-6206-H0 front and BE5-6207-H0 rear

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here.

Looks like BE5-6206-H0 front and BE5-6207-H0 rear

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Gotta get rid of these KYB's soon. They're worse than stock!
A MAN AND HIS TRUCK, IT'S A BEATUFUL THING
01 Excursion LTD (EBM3) 7.3L, PSD, Turbo, 4X2, 177K, TTS chip (original owner)
86 Buick Grand National (original owner)
87 Buick Grand National (second owner)
12 Lincoln MKT, 3.5 twin turbo Ecoboost
turbodave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Glad to finally hear some real world feedback on KYB's. So many people have such good things to say about them as a good cheaper alternative, but that's when they are brand new.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

The KYB's work pretty good on some cars I've owned but not nearly as good as the adjustable Koni's that came stock on the Omni!

I've never done shocks on the 235K mile F250 or 171K mile Excursion.
02(12/01)Excursion PSD 4x4 Limited Ultimate No Boundaries Edition
00 BMW 328CI 2dr silver fully loaded
65 Mustang 289 V8 4brl, 69 GTO 400 4spd
04&09 PJ 15k dump trailers 04 H&H 9K tilt bed 98 Haulmark 7x14 enclosed 07 Dreamshak Hydraulic 20ft toy hauler/fish house.
86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.