Exhaust Drone ~ Need Help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Drone ~ Need Help

I took off the stock exhaust to put on a 4" MBRP stainless exhaust on my '01 X. Well, now I have an irritating exhaust drone inside the passenger compartment.

Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this noise?

Last edited by gbono2; 12-11-2011 at 02:22 PM.
gbono2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
very little. Been there done that. I actually put stock back on. But do a search for drone. There is a lot of discussion but no real absolute solutions that I have found.
DPTuner 40Tow, 60Tow, 80Econo, BTS Valve Body, AIS Intake, AIH Delete, MBRP Stainless 3.5" DP and 4" Exhaust, 5" All spring Edge lift, Rize Traction Bars, CV joint driveshaft, 315 BFG ATs on Alcoa wheels, Warn Transformer with multi mount winch power front and back, 1000 watt power inverter, VCR, 4.10 gears and ARB Lockers Front and Back
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

drone

Well Beast, I hope someone will have a solution that worked for them. I've read about wrapping the exhaust w/some kind of insulated tape. I also read of clamping angle iron to the exhaust which stops the vibration. Some folks claim this is a vibration. Maybe I'll play w/it & if it fixes the thing I'll post.
gbono2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Banks specifically states that their muffler is designed with an expansion chamber to prevent the drone you get with a straight thru muffler. Does the place where you bought your system sell Banks? Maybe you could make a trade.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just installed an AFE 4 inch and it came with a large muffler and its as quiet as stock on the interstate ,,but no drone ,the only time its louder is next to another excursion!
KAWGRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think I remember something in the instruction sheet that said you can switch the direction of the muffler for different levels of sound. Flipping it one way make it louder than the other or something. It was a long time ago so check your instructions.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Having the dimple openings facing the rear of the truck makes it louder at the tailpipe. Forward makes it louder in the cab.
Isspro EV, Overhead 3-Gauge Mount
300K and rolling right along
Ford AIS
6.0 Liter Tranmission Cooler
BoilermakerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Try 1: 4" silverline turboback with FTE resonator, SecondSkin Damp Pro and Lux Liner Pro EVERYWHERE…still have DRONE
Try 2: 4" silverline turboback plus Walker BTM=double mufflered with SecondSkin Damp Pro and Lux Liner Pro EVERYWHERE still a little drone…not bad, but its still drone.

Next, body will come off the frame, POR 15 and I will be shooting either line-x or lizard skin…I know the truck will preserved…just not sure I'll kill the drone! I'll let everyone know over the next 4 or 5 months…
35" MT ATZ's, Dana 60 frt, 4.30 gears, ARB's, 18" 2004 KR wheels, Dyna-trac ProSteer Ball Joints, 2" PMF spring hangers, V/B-Code springs, PMF Traction Blocks, PowerSlot Cryos, CTPerformance valved Bilsteins-dual frts/single rears, ProComp wFox dual steering stabs, Icon adj track bar, 2008 TT Power Fold/Ext mirrors, 1000 Watts of "stealth" Boston Acoustics power, BA drivers, JL Audio SL13.5 Sub, Rockford 360.2 digital sound processor, SecondSkin Audio DampPro and LuxLinerPro sounddeading, F650 2-hole dash with custom switch panel and integrated CB, Painless Performance 20 circut aux fuse panel and relays, 4x2 rear glass gas struts(they really do help!), Kussman bumper mounted block heater plug, Prodigy P3 brake controller, DC Power XP270 AMP alternator, ISSPro Performax gauges, DieselSite Coolant Filter, blue spring upgrade, 4" Silverline, SCT, ARPs, EGRx, DPC Triple, PowerMax, Optimas, Atomic LED cab lights
AndrewCJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well now im on a triP and pulling a trailer and there is a drone with the AFE between 58-72 but when Im not when towing no drone so I will be putting the stock back on any one know what this mistake just cost me??

Last edited by KAWGRN; 12-27-2011 at 10:41 AM.
KAWGRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
jhf

My Photos: (6)
I have an '02 Ex that I put the same exhaust on and voila, say hello to the drone. I did this back in '07. Best advice at the time was sound dampening. So I covered the entire floor under the carpet in SecondSkin dampening and in the 3rd seat area and rear cargo, I put it all the way up past the windows as far as I could reach. It helped, but I can still hear the drone, but it is much better. My wife doesn't complain about the drone so I have never tried the Walker BTM or a resonator.

Good luck,
JHF
2002 Excursion Limited 4x4 - Steel HX hose, ITP pre-pump and in-tank mods, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, BTS transmission, Autometer Carbon gauges, pyro pre-turbo, 4" MBRP T409 Exhaust turbo back, Zoodad, DP F5 6 pos chip (anti-theft, stock, 40hp, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp), "V" springs front, "B" springs rear w/ 1" block
jhf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Stock exhaust Drone inside rear of X

Very long post about this but i can tell you you cant completely get rid of it but you can move it out of your normal driving RMPs, also the 00 and 01s are just plain louder then an 02+ i have a 01 and a 02 left the stock on the 02.
02 Excursion, Limited, Black/Tan, 7.3L, Auto, 4x4, Volant Stage 2 Air Intake, 08 Heated / Signal Mirrors, Thule Tracker II Roof Rack Rails and Feet, Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Head Unit, Hellwig 7643 Rear Sway Bar, 140k Miles.

Replaced Parts: Batts, Alternator, Belt, Shocks, Tires, Front Roters, Pads & Removed Roof Rack Cross Bars.

01 Excursion, Limited, Black/Tan, 7.3L, Auto, 2WD, 4" T409 MRBP Turbo Back Exahust & Aero Turbine 4040XL, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Edge Juice with Attitude Display, 08 Heated / Signal Mirrors, 07 Harley Headlights, Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Head Unit, Pioneer TS-G6843R Speakers, KVH Tracvision A7 Mobile Satilite, 6.5" Headrest LCDs for 3rd row, Thule Tracker II Roof Rack Rails and Feet, 49k Miles.
Replaced Parts: Batts, Alternator, Belt, Shocks, Tires, Front Roters, Pads & Removed Roof Rack Cross Bars.

Last edited by BuiltFordTough; 12-21-2011 at 05:58 AM.
BuiltFordTough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

With all the drone problems with exhausts on the Ex, I held off for several years. So many people raved about JUST replacing the OEM muffler with a Walker BTM and keeping the stock system, I went with that. I really did not hear the exhaust inside with the windows up with the stock system. I do now when putting out significant power accelerating unloaded or cruising, towing a 9K trailer. I'm planning on upgrading power about 150-200 lbsft. If EGTs are fine, I may go back to the stock muffler.

I would not call what I have now "drone", just very audible exhaust noise.

BTW, is there any straight through muffler/resonater that can be added to a system with a Walker BTM to reduce noise?

Thanks,

DOC
2001 4WD 7.3 PSD Excursion: Detroit TrueTrac Vs and CT's Mod Bs Shortest F250 Blocks Tuff Country Ladder Bars Helwig Anti-Roll Bars Front and Rear 2003 Ex Front Bump Stops Superduty Rear Airbags CT's 4 Front and 2 rear Bilstein 5100s Top Gun Double Bilstein Steering Damper Red Head Steering Box 5 Degrees Positive Front Caster Stock wheels with Pirelli Scorpion ATs ART Rotors Porterfield R4S pads Walker BTM Zeibart
DOC4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

FTE resonator! Straight through design and kills the drone. Made mine so quiet I took it off.
06 4x4 ex-cab short bed w/studs, egr delete, sct w/innovative tuning, moderate ficm, intake elbow, 4"dp w/5" exhaust to a 7" stubby stack, 6.4 banjos and blue spring, a boat-load of gauges, home made traction bars, lowered 2", running 8.7's in the 1/8th mile
fordfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

FordFan30,

Thanks for your reply! Are you suggesting the FTE in conjunction with the BTM or as a replacement? FTE's website is currently "turned off" so I can't get all the specs. Sounds like they have a 30" and a 17.5".

What do you suggest and would you like to sell your's?

Is the stock 7.3 Excursion exhaust 4"? (I think it may be a little smaller.)

Thanks again,

DOC
2001 4WD 7.3 PSD Excursion: Detroit TrueTrac Vs and CT's Mod Bs Shortest F250 Blocks Tuff Country Ladder Bars Helwig Anti-Roll Bars Front and Rear 2003 Ex Front Bump Stops Superduty Rear Airbags CT's 4 Front and 2 rear Bilstein 5100s Top Gun Double Bilstein Steering Damper Red Head Steering Box 5 Degrees Positive Front Caster Stock wheels with Pirelli Scorpion ATs ART Rotors Porterfield R4S pads Walker BTM Zeibart
DOC4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

The stock exhaust is 3.5" I believe. I used a 4"/17.5" long with my magnaflow 5" straight thru muffler and it was night and day difference. I was running straight pipe. Ended up being to quiet and I cant leave good enough alone so I changed up the exhaust, again. Mine was used about 4-5 months and I trimmed the end about 1.5" for clearance/fitment. Its just collecting dust in the garage. I can send you pics in a pm this afternoon. I should mention I noticed no increase in egts or loss in power or mpg and my truck has been tuned for years.
06 4x4 ex-cab short bed w/studs, egr delete, sct w/innovative tuning, moderate ficm, intake elbow, 4"dp w/5" exhaust to a 7" stubby stack, 6.4 banjos and blue spring, a boat-load of gauges, home made traction bars, lowered 2", running 8.7's in the 1/8th mile
fordfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.