Fixed the steering wander and brake pull - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to coldair
Fixed the steering wander and brake pull

Thanks to Marty at Truck toyz, I tried every thing, ball joints, tires, different alignment settings, you name I tried it, expect for the witch doctor thing. Marty said replace the tie rod end at the Pittman arm, well 3 different shops said it was OK so I just picked one up myself and changed it this morning and guess what. Marty was right [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
2002 Excursion LTD(PCM:NQW5)Pheltech Tru-Cowl Induction Hood BTS transmission FASS and ITP fuel system, 38/15.5/20 Toyo's on Weld 12" wide wheels,15k warn and warn 9.5k rear 4:30s ARB air lockers front and Dana80 rear. Trail ready front bumper,Road Armor rear bumper light force driving lights, PIAA backup lights,Dakota digital gages, F5 DP tuner chip,Hypermax stage 2 injectors,4" exhaust, 11" Edge lift, King shocks, edge crossover steering, ORU ram assist steering
OneUp ladder bars,TN turbo, Dynatrac conversion kit. Alpine F1, Zapco amps. two dc1100.1, three dc1000.4, 1 dc750.2, driving seas reference series front stage and Zapco competition rear fill and 2 Jl audio 13w7 subs
AP Racing big brakes, Amp Research running boards
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fixed the steering wander and brake pull

Did mine 3 days ago too. Fixed it as well.

Seems that with our size tires, we'll be replacing that tie-rod end every 50'000 miles..
[b] <font color="blue"> 2000 Excursion, 6" pro comp lift, 35" nitto grapplers,</font> 4" Custom Exhuast, custom paint, K&N, Edge Evolution Programmer, <font color="green">bilstein 7100's[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]</font>, <font color="red">2000 watt stereo</font>, billet grille.

<font color="blue">The eX...

More eX... </font>

BaraccaX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to Marty at Truck toyz, I tried every thing, ball joints, tires, different alignment settings, you name I tried it, expect for the witch doctor thing. Marty said replace the tie rod end at the Pittman arm, well 3 different shops said it was OK so I just picked one up myself and changed it this morning and guess what. Marty was right [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a part # my stealership sux at looking up parts.

thanks,

2001 4x4 Limited X PSD
Chromed SuperDuty grille, HeloMaxx8 17x9,BFG315/70/17,Edge 3' leveling,
Hellwig rear sway bar, AIS intake, PowerElbow, 4" Monster Exhaust, Aeroturbine,
Banks Big Head actuator, Banks Compressor Wheel, Banks Transcommand,
Tag's I and II (and love'm), Hx crossover, 2003 headlights, Bilstien shocks, Rancho stearing stabilizer,
203t-stat and billet housing, and Edge Evolution, 24" PIAA wipers, intake heater delete,
Garmin Street Pilot 2610 GPS
<font color="red"> New BTS trans</font><font color="#OOFFOO"> LANDYOT radius rods</font>

"If you don't get everything that you want, be thankful of the everything that you don't want that you don't get !!!"
drchris1024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

I bought it at regular parts house its a Moog ES3427T.
after I pulled it out I put in the vise and rotated it back in forth and it had developed a hump inside the socket that would make it jump about a 1/4 when turned in on direction.
2002 Excursion LTD(PCM:NQW5)Pheltech Tru-Cowl Induction Hood BTS transmission FASS and ITP fuel system, 38/15.5/20 Toyo's on Weld 12" wide wheels,15k warn and warn 9.5k rear 4:30s ARB air lockers front and Dana80 rear. Trail ready front bumper,Road Armor rear bumper light force driving lights, PIAA backup lights,Dakota digital gages, F5 DP tuner chip,Hypermax stage 2 injectors,4" exhaust, 11" Edge lift, King shocks, edge crossover steering, ORU ram assist steering
OneUp ladder bars,TN turbo, Dynatrac conversion kit. Alpine F1, Zapco amps. two dc1100.1, three dc1000.4, 1 dc750.2, driving seas reference series front stage and Zapco competition rear fill and 2 Jl audio 13w7 subs
Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

Hello guys,

I have a 2wd that is pulling to the left when braking. Sounds like may be the same prob as yours? Can you give more info on how to replace the tie rod? and how much was it?
2001 Excursion LTD, PSD, chestnut, 2wd, 16x10 rock crushers, 285/75/16 REVO's, K&N air filter, Billet Grill, Westin Bull Bar, 6" Stainless Pro-Comp Driving lights, SCMT, 10.2 widescreen DVD/TV system, front stablizer mod, Monroe Shocks, Walker BTM, Daystar leveling kit, Viper 791XV with remote start, pager, and turbo shutdown
capostol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
Hello guys,

I have a 2wd that is pulling to the left when braking. Sounds like may be the same prob as yours? Can you give more info on how to replace the tie rod? and how much was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid alittle over $40 for it at CarQuest.

2001 4x4 Limited X PSD
Chromed SuperDuty grille, HeloMaxx8 17x9,BFG315/70/17,Edge 3' leveling,
Hellwig rear sway bar, AIS intake, PowerElbow, 4" Monster Exhaust, Aeroturbine,
Banks Big Head actuator, Banks Compressor Wheel, Banks Transcommand,
Tag's I and II (and love'm), Hx crossover, 2003 headlights, Bilstien shocks, Rancho stearing stabilizer,
203t-stat and billet housing, and Edge Evolution, 24" PIAA wipers, intake heater delete,
Garmin Street Pilot 2610 GPS
<font color="red"> New BTS trans</font><font color="#OOFFOO"> LANDYOT radius rods</font>

"If you don't get everything that you want, be thankful of the everything that you don't want that you don't get !!!"
drchris1024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

any tips on the install?
2001 Excursion LTD, PSD, chestnut, 2wd, 16x10 rock crushers, 285/75/16 REVO's, K&N air filter, Billet Grill, Westin Bull Bar, 6" Stainless Pro-Comp Driving lights, SCMT, 10.2 widescreen DVD/TV system, front stablizer mod, Monroe Shocks, Walker BTM, Daystar leveling kit, Viper 791XV with remote start, pager, and turbo shutdown
capostol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

don't drop the tie rods on your head, they are a little heavy. I did mine in less then 10 minutes of actual work time, I spent 15 minutes throwing the ball for the dog so he would stay out of my way
Old 03-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
... I spent 15 minutes throwing the ball for the dog so he would stay out of my way

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA, I thought I was the only one that does that- except I have 2 to contend with (a Chocolate Lab and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever)!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
'01 PSD 7.3L Excursion Limited EBM1, MPT81s, ORU dual shock hoops, King piggybacks all around, Magnaflow T304 system w/5" tip, FTVB w/50/50 mix regular Mercon/Mobil 1 in trans, Mobil 1 PS flush, Tri-pillar loaded w/Di PriCols (EGT,trans, boost), TS 4 pos. switch chip, ConFerr Rack, Cobra CB, TT/sig mirror conversion, 170 hi-amp alt, Hi Lift equipped, UltraDuty rearend cover w/Mobil 1 syn. w/OE friction modifier, Hutch/ITP intank mod, 2 Micron Dahl PrePump, FPR Jack shim mod@ 70psi, 203 deg T-stat & billet housing, Hawk pads, Centric rotors, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid 105.5k so far...
Recent mod: Dieselsite Coolant filter 4/21/05 @ 1100 @72 degs. F ambient temp ;P
Vindicator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]
HAHAHA, I thought I was the only one that does that- except I have 2 to contend with (a Chocolate Lab and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever)!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] I made the mistake of playing with a flash light and having her chase the light beam around when my younger golden was a pup. Now I have to put up with her chasing the beam of light every time a flash light comes out. Can you picture this, me under the kitchen sink on one side and her on the other side biting at the light beam.
You can't get much done around here with this dog while using a flash light.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I bought it at regular parts house its a Moog ES3427T.
after I pulled it out I put in the vise and rotated it back in forth and it had developed a hump inside the socket that would make it jump about a 1/4 when turned in on direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the Moog greasable so it could last longer? Actually I think my stocker is greasable, but I'm not going to go lay in the snow to check. I'll look this week during my next oil change / grease job. My 01' has 85,000 miles on it &amp; I'm noticing more play lately. For $40 &amp; 30 minutes, I'll have to add it to my list of to do's anyway.
01 7.3 F250 CCSB 4x4 "Platinum" BTS Trans, 38r
01 7.3 F250 CCSB 4x4 BTS Trans, US Gear OD, Banks Exh.
00 7.3 ECSB DI Perf engine, GT42R, BTS Trans 638hp dyno'd
97 7.3 ECLB 4x4 Irate Turbo Kit, BTS Trans 402hp Dyno'd
96 7.3 F250 CC SB "TruckYeah" 4x4 BTS Trans, 38r, Lot's of Mods, 400HP at the tires
97 F350 CCLB 2x4 DRW 7.3 Stock
97 F250 ECLB 2x4 7.3 Stock
"Family of 5 saved by Grace"
Snowman269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.