Fuel in my Coolant tank AGAIN! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
mws

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel in my Coolant tank AGAIN!

Taking it back to Grant's Garage tomorrow. After he did the 8 injector cups and I spent all that time flushing the system to get it clean, I've been test-driving it for a week now, commuting in it, and today finally hit traffic thick enough that the thermostat opened up and did an exchange of fluid. On each previous day, I would drive it 37 miles and the tank would be warm-ish, but mainly due to engine bay heat. I could tell the thermostat (which is new) did not even crack open.

Just now, went out to park it and could smell heated up B100. Opened the coolant tank, and a thick, stinky brown layer in the tank. It was apparently building up several day's worth of leaking fuel in the engine/heater core loop and finally blurped it out into the coolant tank, when the thermostat opened.

I know this is a new leak because I did not use B100 until after he did the injector cups.
-Tony Wildman 6-position chip
-Tall guys take note: I installed later model F250-350 seats with adjustable headrests. Makes all the difference.

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

1999 Ford F250 V10 SD extended cab, 8' bed

http://mwsmotorsports.com/mwstv.htm
former 300zx repair and modification shop owner. Nissan 300zx expert to the rest of the world, relative PSD newbie in this one.
mws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

I had the same problem a few months ago fuel in coolant I tore it down and put new heads from ford with arp studs ,oil cooler ,glow plugs etc. I went with the ford heads they come with the gaskets , oil tubes they are little more expensive but on major work I don't like to take a chance for a few bucks. Good luck hopefully it's something minor
Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post
Just now, went out to park it and could smell heated up B100.
Not questioning your sense of smell (and I've never smelled B100), but is there a possiblity that it's engine oil instead of B100? The most common source for that getting into the coolant tank is from oil cooler o-ring problems. Check the oil for signs of coolant as well, because it can go both directions.

It's entirely possible that your guy didn't do the injector cups properly or one or more cracked prematurely.

Good luck

BTW, on getting the coolant system cleaned up, you can get the last bit of petroleum products out of the tank by floating small squares of absorbent pad in the coolant tank. It attracts the oil, leaving the coolant behind. Available at about any parts place.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
mws

smells like cooking oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Not questioning your sense of smell (and I've never smelled B100), but is there a possiblity that it's engine oil instead of B100? The most common source for that getting into the coolant tank is from oil cooler o-ring problems. Check the oil for signs of coolant as well, because it can go both directions.

It's entirely possible that your guy didn't do the injector cups properly or one or more cracked prematurely.

Good luck

BTW, on getting the coolant system cleaned up, you can get the last bit of petroleum products out of the tank by floating small squares of absorbent pad in the coolant tank. It attracts the oil, leaving the coolant behind. Available at about any parts place.
[/U][/B]

I normally would not take it to a dealer, but there were enough loose bolts on the vehicle when I got it back that I don't want to take it to them. That shop has no QC that I can tell.

It does smell like cooking oil (not fries, but cooking oil, since it's not WVO).
The service manager there is a former mechanic and has done tons of the fuel cups and says it is possible to crack them if they are not installed properly. I'll know more on Monday.

I thought about using those little sponges, but trace elements of regualr diesel would still smell. I'd still need to clean out the de-gas bottle once it got soaked up. And regualar B100 is very hard on rubber hoses, so same thing, it would need to be flushed with some kind of detergent.
-Tall guys take note: I installed later model F250-350 seats with adjustable headrests. Makes all the difference.

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

former 300zx repair and modification shop owner. Nissan 300zx expert to the rest of the world, relative PSD newbie in this one.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
mws

2 cups were cracked, 2 injectors were also loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post

It was B100 fuel, and the mechanic at the Ford Store in Morgan Hill found two cups cracked and leaking and at least 2 injectors that were not seated and torqued down properly, so combustion blast was getting past their nozzles. Not sure if the cups were old and cracked, or new and cracked during installation. I'll check when they finish the job tomorrow and show me the cups.

Good thing they left a couple of cracked cups, or we never would have found the loose injector issue. And they used an old O ring on one injector as well.

I'll have the complete story and some pics soon. And I'll be formulating my approach for my refund, to the original garage, soon.

meanwhile, they are doing glow-plugs for cheap as part of the process.

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
mws

Ford Store in Morgan Hill, worked with me to fix botched job

Kevin and Art did a great job of handling me when I came in pissed off that a local repair shop called Grant's Garage had completely botched an injector cup replacement job on my 2001 Powerstroke Diesel Excursion. They made sure their most experienced diesel tech handled the job (I am sorry I don't remember his name), and at my request, called me once or twice when they had the issues that were left behind by the other shop exposed, so I could take pictures and see for myself that indeed, one of the newly installed cups was leaking because they had cracked it during install. Not only that, they found all the injectors had been installed without being torqued down--which causes blow-by, and that injector #8, a special injector, was in the wrong cylinder.

Initially, I did not even get a quote from the Ford Store for the job, because all the PSD and Excursion forums online talked of the horrors of $3-4K spent to have this job done, and the fact the Ford dealerships still pull the heads to do a job that can now be done with the engine intact with a new special tool. Grants offered to do the job for $1500 with the new special tool. After Grant's screwed up, my quote from the Ford Store to do the job included the new special tool, and was only $500 or so higher than Grant's Garage. Not bad for a dealership. They had adjusted the quote to reflect the time they could save with the new tool--and not because I asked. Not all dealerships would do that. They might still charge the big money because the extra time they save and charge for, is just gravy. BMW dealers do that all the time.

I was especially impressed when we discussed other jobs I might want to have done while they are in there, and when Kevin and I both independently looked up how much new injectors were, he literally called me up and said: "hey if they are working now, you might want to hold off. At around $350 each, and for 8, the price for parts would be close to $2800." But he did advise that we change out the glow-plugs, which are about as cheap as spark plugs. There was no record at Ford of them being done and the Excursion had 164K miles on it. Good call. The truck starts easier in the mornings and does not do the occasional smoking it would do when cold.

It's been a couple of weeks since the Ford Store's repair and my nightmare dealing with cracked injector cups leaking diesel fuel into my coolant, me spending a weekend trying to flush it out after the job was done wrong, seems over.

One comment I can make: the final flush the Ford Store did to try to remove the remaining fuel from the coolant system, should be done with the thermostat out. I still found a good amount of remaining fuel in the "de-gas" coolant tank that popped up a couple of days later. The thermostat barely opens in cold weather, and can take some time to dump the engine's contents into the degas tank so you can see it. Also, it takes some long drives with the heat turned all the way up to get the valves on the TWO heater cores the Excursion has, to open up and release any fuel they might have in them. Since I asked if they were going to remove the thermostat, and they said they would not, and the flush was not that expensive, I agreed. I knew I would need to pull the degas tank myself and clean it out once or twice.

2003 BMW 760Li (the V12)

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
I had the same problem with an idiot garage in CO, My truck just died, after some cranking it started but was way off. It turned out to be a bad under valve cover wire harness. $500 later and I have a bad gasket, an injecter was unplugged, a glow plug was bad and the truck ran horribly, it sat there and shook like a leaf, the meck said it was fine and they could not diag the problem because they did not have the equip....which they said they did and was why they did the job. So I take it to the dealer and for another $500....which like you was very reasonable....they fixed it right.. the first mech thought the UVC wire harness had been unplugged, and just zip tied it. So I now will NEVER take it to anyone but the dealer if it is engine, trans or elec. They are not off on price, they have the diag tool to check everything and warranty their work. You, and I learned a good lesson. You know they will change my oil for $80? Thats up to $40 cheaper than an instant place and darn near the cost of oil for a DIY job.
2003 7.3 Excursion Limited Ultimate, Mineral Grey Metalic. DVD, Limited Slip, Badged, Cab Lights, Magnaflow, Thule Rack, Top Gun Bumper, 3" Lift, T Prodigy, Air Bags, Edge Programer, XM Radio, Extreme sound system. PIAA Lights, Toyo 325/60/18s on Chrome Alum rims.
MotionMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Had fuel in the coolant in the F250 a couple years ago. Had no idea what was going on, brought it to my diesel mechanic (typicaly works on Zamboni's and 6.0's). He replaced half the injector cups and all has been well. It was about a grand which isn't bad considering it was the first time the valve covers were off at 290K miles. To date 310K miles and running like a raped ape...

Thinking the motor was made right after lunch on a Wednesday

I've beat on this truck so much and the motor just keeps going...
02(12/01)Excursion PSD 4x4 Limited Ultimate No Boundaries Edition
00 BMW 328CI 2dr silver fully loaded
65 Mustang 289 V8 4brl, 69 GTO 400 4spd
04&09 PJ 15k dump trailers 04 H&H 9K tilt bed 98 Haulmark 7x14 enclosed 07 Dreamshak Hydraulic 20ft toy hauler/fish house.
86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.