Gear Vendors overdrive? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2000, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gear Vendors overdrive?

Has anyone put a Gear Vendors (or any other brand)overdrive in an Excursion yet?

Curious as to how it affected the mileage.
2001 Black Excursion, 4x4, XLT, PSD, LS, (EBM2), Super-Duty grill, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bilsteins, X-springs, OilGuard bypass filter, 295's, Badges, Suvlights harness, APC headlights, Weatherboots, Centramatics, Clear corners, AIC w/ITP mount, ISSPRO EVs, BTS trans, Open element intake, ATS compressor housing, Thule rack, BD Torqloc, F350 rear blocks, Randy Ellis lightbar with a couple of Lightforce 170s, Front receiver hitch, DP Tuner chip
1975 Ford Bronco, neglected since I bought the Excursion
AJ'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2000, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Gear Vendors overdrive?

It's been 4 months since I posted this, just wondering if anyone has done this yet.
2001 Black Excursion, 4x4, XLT, PSD, LS, (EBM2), Super-Duty grill, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bilsteins, X-springs, OilGuard bypass filter, 295's, Badges, Suvlights harness, APC headlights, Weatherboots, Centramatics, Clear corners, AIC w/ITP mount, ISSPRO EVs, BTS trans, Open element intake, ATS compressor housing, Thule rack, BD Torqloc, F350 rear blocks, Randy Ellis lightbar with a couple of Lightforce 170s, Front receiver hitch, DP Tuner chip
Old 10-10-2000, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

AJ:
I take it you are wanting a GV to overdrive your X to reduce rpm at higher road speeds?

If you have a PSD you should have a 3.73 rear end. In my opinion you would be overgearing your truck by adding a GV.

I have a GV in my F350 4x4 CC DRW with a 4.10 rear end. The GV drops the revs by around 600 in 'double' overdrive. It's just about perfect for freeway driving. I'm running 82 mph at 2000 rpm with the GV engaged.

I can't remember exactly what my wife's X is doing at 70 or 80, but I think you will find that if you go for the 600 drop in rpm's you will be unhappy with throttle response and you will be hunting gears.

However, I will tell you that I was directed to the GV, even though it cost more than the competition out there at the time, but I've never had a moments problem with it and it runs as smooth today as it did when it as first installed. Ease the throttle when you engage it and rev or drive into it when disengaging and it's smoother than silk.

------------------
99.5 4x4 PSD Lariat CC DRW LWB Auto 4.10LS Hypermax/Gauges GV OD
'00 PSD Excursion 4x4 3.73LS ordered 11/25 collected 3/29
Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2000, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

What about an overdrive unit in an X with a chip and/or other miscellaneous power upgrades? I've got a possible job in Austin, and with a 70 mile trip on I-35 running either 80mph or 20 (traffic and/or wreck)I'd rather not burn out a PSD.
ptemplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2000, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

ptemplin:
I going to go back on my previous post!
I just installed a Hypertech 3 in the X and drove 250 miles between 70 and 80. My new thinking is that the GV is worthwhile if you can maintain 75 - 80. That would mean you would be turning 1400 - 1600 rpms and that's the sweet spot.

One of the main reasons I really like the GV in my F350 is the reduced NVH which you don't get so much of in the X due to the 'hush' kit Ford installed.

Sounds like you might be a candidate!

------------------
99.5 4x4 PSD Lariat CC DRW LWB Auto 4.10LS Hypermax/Gauges GV OD
'00 PSD Excursion 4x4 3.73LS with Hypertech 3
'01 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 on order
Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2000, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

That was my reasoning too. The turnpikes in Oklahoma are all 75 mph and I usually travel with the flow of traffic which is about 79-ish. I think with a chip such as the Western Diesel, which is reputed to make its power around 1500 rpm and up, this would be a great road trip setup.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm pulling this post back up because I'm still interested in putting a GV in my X. I have the power to run it, but I'm more concerned that there is enough space to mount it.

Anyone?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm considering going to 3.08 gears and side stepping the mileage hit from another set of gears or larger tires. See posts from Dave Whitmer.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pulling this post back up because I'm still interested in putting a GV in my X. I have the power to run it, but I'm more concerned that there is enough space to mount it.

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I I just ran 2500 miles in the last 9 days hit the pumps 4 days in a row last week, one was just a top off.

I talked to the folks at GV a while back, they predicted a 10% increase when running empty and fast.

Bruce
Tekonsha Prodigy
Ford 30MM Rear Bar
BridgeStone 285/75-16AT(D range) Revos, Now have a winter and summer set each with a set of wheels!
V Code LF, U Code RF Modified Fs in the rear
Catch All Linners
750 W Inverter
Magnaflow XL System W/ 3.5 DP OE Cat spliced in at 4" inlet and 3-3/4" outlet.
ART Rotors, Performance Friction Pads, Front & Rear
Rancho RSXs on Front and 9000s set at 2 on rear
06 Chrome Package Grill,bumpers and hooks. After an encounter with a Honda, (She got the ticket)
2005 Ex and Specs and Pictures of 2002 X
Bruce1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2006, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had a GV unit for a Suburban that never got installed. I was going to get an adapter for the Ex which replaced the Sub, but several people felt that the 7.3 does not take kindly to putting out a lot of torque under 2000 rpm, though it obviously can. I was advised not to really lean on it, particularly when pulling my 10K trailer, unless the revs were up to at least 2000. Longevity cut in half would supposedly result.

Also, the 7.3 does not seem to have the huge increase in fuel mileage that a GM 6.5 TD does if you drop the revs from 2800 down to 1800, everything else being equal. A 6.5 TD picks up 6-7 MPG. With the 3.73 gears in the Ex, I only spend a little time above 2400 RPM.

The GV just didn't seem worth the cost and trouble of installation on the Ex, so I sold it. It would have been nice to have the extra "split" gears, though.

DOC
DOC4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Has anyone ever seen one mounted in an X? I'm curious about driveshaft length and angle.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I know I TRIED a gearvendor in my SUBURBAN with HORRIBLE results. Nothing against there product, driven many vehicles with them and loved them. But the driveline length of my SUBURBAN with the GV installed created an unresolveable driveline vibration at 45 and up. I would also think twice regarding the fuel savings aspect as I only picked up about 1MPG(at best) in the milage department when I had it in. I would want to see one installed in another vehicle and verify that it will work smoothly before shelling out 3K+(GV plus driveshaft and install gets pricey). I know I only found 1 other person with one in a diesel SUBURBAN 4X4 and he had the same vibration I had.
1995 K2500 diesel suburban, BANKS stinger kit, Quadzilla guages, 97+ cooling mods with D-max fan, remote PMD with #9 resistor

1988 JEEP CHEROKEE, 4.0L, 4X4, auto, mostly stock(keepin the miles off the diesel)
thefermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've got a GV out in the garage complete with a shortened driveshaft that I took off my '00 2wd Exc. V10. I bought it because the 3.73 required 3rd gear while towing and that resulted in too high RPM's with our 10K trailer at +/-70mph. 3rd-over was just right for towing.

I was real happy with the unit as installed on the Exc. Double OD while unloaded was nice. I indended to use it on the torqueshift, but found out that it's not as useful on the 5 speed due to the shift strategy.

I'm surprised the 'vibration' on the Suburban install was not able to be resolved. There are all kinds of tricks to adjust driveline angle.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Am I correct that you have a different GV unit than would be used on a 4WD EX?

I believe the vibration problems on those Suburbans may be due to a "remote mount" installation. GV does not have a unit that bolts directly to the most common tranfer case fitted to 3/4 diesel Suburbans ('99 and earlier, of course, we had one).

DOC
DOC4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

The excursion 4x4 has a relatively short drive shaft making it prone to vibration. With a 4" lift and NO GV, I had a serious case of "bad vibes" that I spent 2 months trying to resolve. No luck until I had a double cardan (CV) joint installed at the front end of the rear driveline. The driveline builders in my area all talk to each other and concluded that a lifted excursion WILL have vibration. Thus, my drive shaft is balanced to as close to perfect as the machinery will measure and it is straight and concentric to within .002 from end to end. That makes it pleasantly tolerable but not perfect.

All that said, I think with a 4x4 excursion the GV unit is going to cause problems just like the suburban had with it's short driveshaft- especially if the suspension is lifted at all. There is just too small of an envelope to fit the driveline angle into and my concern for y'all is the hair pulling frustration that is apt to ensue as a result. I'm not knocking the GV unit at all, but I think it's the wrong answer for the Excursion. Spitting gears while towing would be a really nice option, but I think it's far better in the long run to just run the right size gear ratio/tire combination for what the vehicle is used for. Also remember that double overdrive is really hard on the 4R100 @ $3,800 plus shipping, oil and a bigger cooler when you toast it from too much torque load on it.

I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer, but that is really an expensive trial and error program that you'll probably NEVER recoup the costs on (over $4,000 installed with a new driveline?), IF it works- and that's a lot of money to be out if it doesn't.
Allison 1000 5 speed auto
clamgulch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.