How much of a drop hitch/drawbar for 4x4 X? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2002, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much of a drop hitch/drawbar for 4x4 X?

I might be towing some stuff in the near future and wanted to get a drawbar. How much of a drop do I need for a stock 4X4 X - 2"? 3"? 4"? I've done some looking around at Walmart, but they only seem to offer them up to a 5,000# rating. I'd like to get a 10,000# rating to match the hitch. So, if you've got one like that, where did you get it? One last thing, what is the standard size ball that I should put on it?

I think that does it for now.

Michael

P.S. the price you paid would be nice too.
2001 Excursion PSD Limited 4x4, SCMT Max Tuner, Diesel Innovations 4" exhaust, 3 pod A-pillar w/ VDO Vision boost, pyro & Trans, AIC, Baldwin bypass filter, ATS Ported Compressor housing...See my mod pictures HERE!
1995 Camaro Z28 K&N FIPK, Throttle body Airfoil, Jet-Hot MAC Headers, Borla SS 3 exhaust /w bypass, 3.5" Aluminum driveshaft, 4:10 Gears, B&M Ripper shifter, Accel 300+ ignition, Accel SpiralCore wires, Shift light, 100hp Nitrous [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] <font color="red"> FOR SALE! </font>
2002 32' Keystone Bobcat 294BHS travel trailer
PSDExcursion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2002, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How much of a drop hitch/drawbar for 4x4 X?

Lots of question and I sure do not have all the answers. But here it goes, I tow a few different trailers and at this time they are fairly light and small. The key is to have the trailer sit level. I had several draw bars but always was switching them around to find the correct one. I finally gave up and bought an adjustable height draw bar. Price ?. Bought it at Wal-Mart. Price semed fair for the quality. It is rated at 5,000 pounds/500 pounds. The factory receiver is rated at 10,000 pounds or more (depenging on the year and the fact that Ford just changed the label) only if you use a weight distrubition type hitch. As far as ball size, you need to match the trailer. Usually; 1 7/8", 2" or 2 5/16". Depends on the weight of the trailer. Draw bars are available in different size shanks. 3/4" and 1" are the most common I believe. The higher the size, the more capacity. You must make sure the draw bar, ball and receiver are atleast rated for the load of the trailer.

Hope this helps,
John
Old 05-28-2002, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

unless you have changed your setup since the pic it looks close to mine and towing my 8x16 tandem carhauler I use a 4" drop and it is perfect for the trailer I have.( it is a 2") ball.
2005 KZ 43ft New Vision Toy Hauler 3 slides & 14' of enclosed garage
2007 Mercedes Benz GL 450
1956 Willys DJ 2 Wheel Drive(long term project)
1951 Willys M38 (on going project)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/xploringaz/sets//[/url]
Richie_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2002, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

forgot on the lbs rating for what you ask 10k it would more than like not be a drop type and instead the type with torsion bars or a weight distribution type.
2005 KZ 43ft New Vision Toy Hauler 3 slides & 14' of enclosed garage
2007 Mercedes Benz GL 450
1956 Willys DJ 2 Wheel Drive(long term project)
1951 Willys M38 (on going project)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/xploringaz/sets//[/url]
Richie_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2002, 06:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to coldair

Try a Putman 12" drop hitch it can go up or down 12" with a interchangable ball mounts you just buy how ever many differnt sizes you want and mount the ball to it and then its mounts to the drop hitch with 2 pins.
2002 Excursion LTD(PCM:NQW5)Pheltech Tru-Cowl Induction Hood BTS transmission FASS and ITP fuel system, 38/15.5/20 Toyo's on Weld 12" wide wheels,15k warn and warn 9.5k rear 4:30s ARB air lockers front and Dana80 rear. Trail ready front bumper,Road Armor rear bumper light force driving lights, PIAA backup lights,Dakota digital gages, F5 DP tuner chip,Hypermax stage 2 injectors,4" exhaust, 11" Edge lift, King shocks, edge crossover steering, ORU ram assist steering
OneUp ladder bars,TN turbo, Dynatrac conversion kit. Alpine F1, Zapco amps. two dc1100.1, three dc1000.4, 1 dc750.2, driving seas reference series front stage and Zapco competition rear fill and 2 Jl audio 13w7 subs
AP Racing big brakes, Amp Research running boards
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.