Missing Door Jam VIN sticker??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Missing Door Jam VIN sticker???

Questions for the experts. I am looking at a used 04 Limited Execursion with 20K miles. The price is right, but it is missing the door jam VIN/info sticker. Somebody peeled it off and the security tape beneath it reads "VOID...VOID...VOID". Carmax is selling the vehicle. They claim it has never been wrecked or flood damaged. I ran a Carfax as well and it came-up clean. My concern is that it came from Florida, and with all the floods and hurricanes they had this year could I be making a mistake. Just being overly paranoid, but I don't understand why somebody will peel that sticker off. It has valuable info VIN, build date, tire pressures, etc.. I am planning on bringing a buddy of mine who owns a body shop to see if he can find anthing hidden. Also will this missing sticker pose a problem if I take it to Ford for warranty work? Any advice??

Thx,
Robert
Y2K F250 Lariat, Crewcab 4x4, white, manual hubs, auto, Trailer/Tow package, 3.73's, SuperChips 1705 Micro Tuner (60/80hp), Bilsteins, 3.5 DP w/4in DPPI aluminized exhaust, AIC w/ ITP bracket, Garrett Ball-Bearing GTP38R turbo, Tymar Intake, Adrenaline HPOP, 203* Bob Riley Thermostat, Red Top Optima's, using Delo motor oil, Aluminum Diff Cover, RotorPro Rotors, Royal Purple diff fluid's and all running on Bridgestone Revo 285's.
fordstroke444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Missing Door Jam VIN sticker???

the lack of the sticker wont affect warranty work, but like you said, the lack of the sticker is pretty strange. If the deal is too good to be true then it is.

Tadd
Elite Diesel SCT Tuning for 6.0 and 7.3's with Cylinder Pressure Adjusted tunes, Programmers or 6-position chips, Custom 6.0 Injectors, 2 Stages of 6.0L Fuel Systems, H-11 Head Studs, Fire Ring Kits, Single and Compound Turbos for the 6.0L, Engine Internals

04 F350 XLT SPORT CC DRW
Elite Diesel SCT Tuner,AFE Stage 2, 345cc Injectors, 6" Stacks, S400 turbo. 701hp on #2
Look in the september issue of Diesel Power Mag.
Ford Senior Master Technician
TaddL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

[ QUOTE ]
Questions for the experts. I am looking at a used 04 Limited Execursion with 20K miles. The price is right, but it is missing the door jam VIN/info sticker. Somebody peeled it off and the security tape beneath it reads "VOID...VOID...VOID". Carmax is selling the vehicle. They claim it has never been wrecked or flood damaged.

[/ QUOTE ]
My first reaction would be "Pass" and my better half would agree 100%

Better safe than sorry.

Bill

BTS Transmission, 6.0L cooler, 13" PI Stallion TC,
Magnaflow 4" ,FRX ,CVD Valving, Bilstein 5100 series and other mods
CHPMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

Sounds like it could have been repaired with parts from a chop shop. Make sure there is no corrosion in the wiring. I'd look at connectors down low, like on the passenger's side front corner of the cabin where the reset for the fuel pump circut is.
To the best of my reccollection, all major body parts and panels should have VIN stickers on them. The intent was to stop the chop shops.
Carefully inspect the door hinges to see if the paint is damaged indicating removal or repainting.
Make sure the VIN # just inside the windshield is correct to the title.
I admire your tenacity in investigating something this detail that most people would overlook. You are being smart.
Allison 1000 5 speed auto
clamgulch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

RUN, don't walk away from this one. It's from FL, it has a dubious sticker removal, and with all the stuff in the news lately about thousands of water damaged FL vehicles being sold out of stage, etc.

Well, you get the idea.

Skip this one.
A MAN AND HIS TRUCK, IT'S A BEATUFUL THING
01 Excursion LTD (EBM3) 7.3L, PSD, Turbo, 4X2, 177K, TTS chip (original owner)
86 Buick Grand National (original owner)
87 Buick Grand National (second owner)
12 Lincoln MKT, 3.5 twin turbo Ecoboost
turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I live in Ms and went to Baton rouge, La this weekend and seen a ton of cars coming out of Fl. I have seen them all over the place. Be very, very careful.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Ms and went to Baton rouge, La this weekend and seen a ton of cars coming out of Fl. I have seen them all over the place. Be very, very careful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most on Auto Transporters I bet.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

No, not really. Most of the ones I seen where being hauled buy a running car and truck that they had bought. You would just come across lines of them. You could see it on their face. "I'm going to make a killing off this car when I sell it to some fool!"
Now that I think about it you could tell some of them had been under water. The way the windows where hazed over.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
LRH

I would double and triple check the truck top to bottom, pull back carpet in several spots, remove a door sill plate, look at any low spots in floorpan and frame for any trace of sediment from past water. Pull all seat belts from retractors and look at date codes on seat belts and any tags on back of carpet ect. Check major body panels for the VIN sticker. I have seen some of the door stickers installed with wrinkles/bubbles and peeling edges; someone may have just decided to remove it as it is not the legal VIN plate. I would check that door to make sure it didn't come off a wreck of the same color, look for the small VIN label on that particular door.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 01:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Or if you have a connection with local law enforcement, have their VIN guy find the secondary VIN to make sure its not stolen.

Here's an example, thief goes and steals an "X"
thief drives around and sees your "X" in parking lot or on the street, the same model and year as the one thief stole, thief goes up, steals your front license plate, and writes down the VIN from your "X". Thief goes to DMV with your VIN number and license plate number and tells them, "Hey I own this "X" (its your "X") and somebody stole my front license plate. Thief requests new plates to be issued and tells DMV, by the way, I've moved, heres my new address. So your "X" just became subplated. DMV mails new plates that are attached to your VIN to new address (its not your address), thief makes a VIN plate and puts it in the public VIN location (up on dash board), puts the license plates on stolen "X" and new registration card, so basically, your "X" just got cloned by the thief, everything would look legitimate to some poor suspecting buyer. Meanwhile you never get your registration in the mail because thief changed your address with the DMV.

So buyer be very wary if the door jamb stickers are missing or it looks like the dashboard has been taken out, they could have switched the VIN's.

I'd run from this one. My .02

BigTurbo
2002 F250 7.3L PSD CC Shortbed 4x4, Auto, 3.73LS, white, Rotella 15W-40 Dino Oil, 4 inch Magnaflow exhaust, 203 thermostat, Texaco ELC, Mag-Hytec rear diff cover, 15K fifth wheel, 30 gallon Transferflow toolbox/fuel tank, Mobil 1 trans fluid, Reunel Stainless rear bumper, Michelin LTX, Currently @ 95K

Mods to come, as the warden will allow

2004 X 6.0L 4x2, 3.73 Eddie Bauer, stock, Mama won't let me mod it
BigTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

What is the relationship to flood damage and a missing, peeled off sticker? I don't see any possible connection. All body panels and the paint and the pillar deserve a very close inspection. They should be able to tell you where it was last registered and titled.
1994 E-350 RB 5.8gas 4X4Quigley cargo 4.09 arb-locker f/r 35x12.5-16.5 or 285/75-16.,,, 1997 E-350 EB 5.4gas 4X4Quigley Sportsmobile camper 4.10 arb front, L/S rear 285/75-16/front 33X12.5-16.5/rear ><>J
toalpi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
LRH

[ QUOTE ]
What is the relationship to flood damage and a missing, peeled off sticker? I don't see any possible connection. .

[/ QUOTE ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flood damage? nothing really; everyone just seemed to figure because so many have been flood damaged in FL so that would be a good reason to move a lot of trucks/cars to other states. Just a likely scenario, and one to look for among others as a missing door jamb sticker on such a late model does raise a red flag. The main VIN is the one visable through the windshield along with usually one on the frame and usually around the cowl air inlet. Someone may have just pulled it for no good reason or perhaps they are trying to hide something. Could have gotten hit in the drivers door only and they just happen to find a wrecking yard door of the same color so removal or the sticker makes sense (to seller). Truck may be perfect and dealer may be lowering the price to get rid of it because no one will buy it without the sticker. Possible it could be a good deal, just requires checking close.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for all your insight. So what I've found out after thourough investigation is, yes it was repaired (right rear quarter panel/passeger side) took a small hit. Not enough to damage the frame but a small area was bondo'ed, approx 2 ft area down low by the tail pipe. I had my buddy that owns a body shop give it the "once over". He said the repair was done very well and he was not concerned. He checked it with a magnetic measuring device. It still doesn't explain why the door jam vin sticker is gone though. He also pulled the carpet up and checked for rusty bolts, water stains, etc...no real signs. I called Ford corporate to see if I could get a new vin door jam sticker and they said "no they do not reprint stickers anymore". I also had a law officer buddy of mine run several checks via their data bases and he found nothing. No wrecks, no theft, etc. Shows to be a clean one ower (35 yr old lady) from Florida. Motor is tight (6.0 diesel), interior is clean, drives straight and no strange noises w/20K miles. Asking price is $31K, and I believe a new 04 Limited X, 2- wheel drives stickers about $50K.........tough decesion.
Y2K F250 Lariat, Crewcab 4x4, white, manual hubs, auto, Trailer/Tow package, 3.73's, SuperChips 1705 Micro Tuner (60/80hp), Bilsteins, 3.5 DP w/4in DPPI aluminized exhaust, AIC w/ ITP bracket, Garrett Ball-Bearing GTP38R turbo, Tymar Intake, Adrenaline HPOP, 203* Bob Riley Thermostat, Red Top Optima's, using Delo motor oil, Aluminum Diff Cover, RotorPro Rotors, Royal Purple diff fluid's and all running on Bridgestone Revo 285's.
fordstroke444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 11:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Would be informative if you could contact the owner for the lowdown,I forget what process is called,there's a term for it.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Check Ford for an oasis check too, I have seen some warranty work pop up on that but not on the CarFAX reports. One member here reported that on a tire replacement issue with the Firestones that the tire dealer or Ford dealer yanked the sticker in the jamb as they thought it was protocol for the replacement as they no longer had the lower D rated tires so the spec'd info on the sticker was wrong and a liablity for them. Food for thought.
04 4X Excursion 6.0 Black,Limited, everything except 2nd row captains & chrome tubes, XD Revolver 17 Matte Black wheels, 315/12.50/17 Toyo MT, 4" ProComp leafs front, 04 B-Codes with 5 1/2" tapered block in rear, 30mm rear sway bar, Billet badges & fuel door, Superduty Harley Grille, C'Btr mirrors

05 Fleetwood Prowler 300BHS Travel Trailer, Reese WDH with dual cam sway control

80 Pontiac T/A Turbo
rechinca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.