Rear door won't lock! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear door won't lock!

I just noticed a couple days ago that the rear door on our Excursion won't lock. The cargo door that is. Not even with the key, much less the auto locks.
Anyone had this problem before and fixed it?
It will be a week before I get to it, hopefully it's something obvious and cheap!! And nobody steals it before then.
Mine since 07/02/09 at 53.5K Miles - Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost, Air Pres.) - AIS (Ford Severe Duty) - BFG AT Tires (285/75 R16 BFG AT Load range 'E') - Harpoon Mod - ITP 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit (aka Hutch Mod) - On Board Air (Extreme Aire w/ 11 Gal. Tank) - Diamond Eye 4 Turbo Back Exhaust - 6.0 Trans Cooler - 2009 Side Mirrors - Modified B Codes - 30mm Rear Sway Bar - DPTuner F5 (Stock, Hi Idle, 60 Tow, 80 Econ, 120) - 203*Therm - DIY Coolant filter - Cryo powerslots & Hawk pads all around - SS Brake lines - AIH Delete.[/FONT][/COLOR]
bnjmnalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
You take it a[art and spray silicone on it. For some reasom over ti,e the mechanism gets kind of locked up. I asuume the key is not working either. I had this happen and spraying silicone or graphite on the mechanism cured it. I think you have to take the side panels off first. They just pull off I believe.
DPTuner 40Tow, 60Tow, 80Econo, BTS Valve Body, AIS Intake, AIH Delete, MBRP Stainless 3.5" DP and 4" Exhaust, 5" All spring Edge lift, Rize Traction Bars, CV joint driveshaft, 315 BFG ATs on Alcoa wheels, Warn Transformer with multi mount winch power front and back, 1000 watt power inverter, VCR, 4.10 gears and ARB Lockers Front and Back
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had same problem a couple months ago. The main problem is as Beast said but silicone did not cure it. I used a never-seez compound similar to graphite on the mechanism after I removed it. If spray will work it is much simpler than R&R though.

However, I also had to replace the actuator as the mech being frozen broke the pin off. Replacing the re-assembled unit was the worse part.

Rear Door Hatch Lock mechanism & Lock actuator (9/2/09)
Door Lock Actuator 6L3Z25218A43AA my cost $56.18

The actual metal mechanism below should NOT be needed but:
lock mechanism 4C7Z7843170AA $ 42.15 (superceded by new num. 5C7Z7843170B.) According to Ford Parts Dept. in Orl. FL.

I took over an hour mostly due to getting the stupic thing to fit back into the hole and back into place. I am sure that somehow Ford purposely put just enough protruding metal to make life difficult there. At least I felt like they did.

Since then all works fine. Most people do not check to see if their latch is locking, My friend accidently opened one parked next to mine in a parking lot that was supposedly locked too. Need to check those hatches, , ,
Excursion 2004 4X4 Limited - PUEBLO GOLD - 6.0L T-C Diesel - 5-Spd Auto Trans -AM/FM Sterio In-Dash 6-CD - Rear Seat Entertainment - DVD - 2nd Row -Dual Bucket Seats - PWR HTD T-T Mirrors - 3.73LS Axle - T-Case Skid Plate - Thule Top Rack - SC Tuner
Veh. Built 7/16/03 Eng. Build date 6/27/03 by International - Purchase Date 9/1/03 Milage on date 6/9/04 = 15,000 11/15/04 = 26,890 4/19/05 = 35,639 12/12/05 = 49,810 8/29/06 = 63,750 3/27/08= 100,003 Rancho 9000 shocks F & R.

It is hard to take travel serious when every time you leave home you take an Excursion !

Mesu
mesu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey, thanks for the (thorough) replies!! Doesn't sound too bad, hopefully some graphite will do the trick. I'll post again with my results when it's done.
Mine since 07/02/09 at 53.5K Miles - Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost, Air Pres.) - AIS (Ford Severe Duty) - BFG AT Tires (285/75 R16 BFG AT Load range 'E') - Harpoon Mod - ITP 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit (aka Hutch Mod) - On Board Air (Extreme Aire w/ 11 Gal. Tank) - Diamond Eye 4 Turbo Back Exhaust - 6.0 Trans Cooler - 2009 Side Mirrors - Modified B Codes - 30mm Rear Sway Bar - DPTuner F5 (Stock, Hi Idle, 60 Tow, 80 Econ, 120) - 203*Therm - DIY Coolant filter - Cryo powerslots & Hawk pads all around - SS Brake lines - AIH Delete.[/FONT][/COLOR]
bnjmnalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

This happened to me four years ago so I cant remember exactly how it looks in there but I do remember the locking arm had slid out of place because something broke loose and I had to nylon tie lock accuator back in place and haven't had a problem sense. But you do have to get to the back side of the handle by pulling off interior cover and it was real obvious what the trouble was. I'm sure it was caused by slamming the rear lift window down all the time. I realized my rear hatch wasn't locking in the shopping mall parking lot at christmas time 05. Who knows what might have happened if I didn't cut my shopping trip short because I noticed it.
2001 X Limited 4x4 PSD;F5 DP Tuner;Ford AIS intake; Magnaflow 4in;Autometer GS 3pod pillar;BFG M/T KM 285x75x16;X-codes and f350 blocks;6.0 trans cooler;Delo ELC;Dieselsite 203 stat,eng.coolant filter,turbo/intake hoses;ITP HPX line,tank pre-pump kit;CCV mod;Hellwig sway-bar;RS9000XL;OEM clearlenses/silverstar ultras;XM radio;Yakima MegaWarrior Rack;Dark Satin Green.

1973 K5 Blazer 383stroker,TrickFlow alum.heads,Crower forged rods-roller lifter cam-roller rockers,Keith Black10.5:1,Doug Thorley tri-y,MSD,ARP,Q-jet,on 1 ton axles,1991 front clip,3K miles on FULL body off rebuild

2003 Mastercraft X9 Wakeboard Edition

Last edited by boomboom; 11-29-2009 at 06:07 PM.
boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.