The Diesel Stop banner

In Reno, 8 hrs from home w Engine Issues

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Graupp 
#1 ·
It has been so long since I have needed to post I had to reregister.

I will be as complete as possible. Bear with me if I miss anything. 2001 Excusrion, 7.3, 2WD, 430K. 6 months ago we replaced 5 of 8 injectors. Business was slow and could not swing all 8. Already replaced fuel pump and oil pump and high pressure lines.

In the past month I have driven Vegas/Reno, Vegas/SLC twice, Vegas/Abq, and Vegas/Reno yesterday. Truck has been running great.

Tranny serviced last week.

Thursday won't start. Turned off then back on and fired right up. Drove from Vegas to Reno. ZERO problems. Started every time we stopped without issue.

Check engine light was on, but I added a spacer to keep the turbo open longer and the light always comes on going up the mountains out here so I have been ignoring it.

Got up this morning. WILL NOT START. In town for a trade show w a trailer. DOA.

Called The Flying Scottsman mobile mechanic ( great guy, great service ) after asking a few questions we determined it was the camshaft positioning sensor. I went to work, he came out and replaced the sensor and the truck was running.

He called and said I had several codes, one of which was glowplug controller module. After he cleared the codes and ran the truck no codes were popping back up and the check engine light has not come back on.

Drove the truck about 5 minutes and had fuel spraying everywhere from a faulty fuel filter. I think the cap was warped. Replaced that, no fuel leaking.

Now......I have an intermittent dead miss. I have not had time to put more than 10 or so miles on the truck since replacing the fuel filter. Power seems to be good. Drives fine. Starts almost instantly....but has an occasional dead miss.

I have to drive back to Vegas Monday and want to resolve this BEFORE I leave as there are a few 75+ mile stretches of nothing but rocks. Cell service is spotty at best and there are a lot of places NOT to break down.

When I first got the truck, and with my first CPS you guys were lifesavers. Any thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance JC

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.