The Diesel Stop banner

Roadmaster active suspension installed!!

12K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  turbodave 
#1 ·
All i can say is that I am sorry i waited so long to finally purchase the RAS. The big boat finally rides like i always thought it should. Much tighter and a much more balanced ride. It all feels tight and doesn't do the "huck a buck" move on hypotonuse dips in the road.

I do have a clunk noise on "g-outs", which i have heard before the install, but i believe it is from my Helwig swaybar. I noticed during my install that i have a spot on the muffler were it turns down over the rear axle that seems to show some impact scuffs from something in the suspension area. Further inspection will be required to determine the exact cause.

All that said, i would highly recommend the RAS. My EX is s 2wd model, so not sure if it was sprung lighter then the 4wd models, but a huge difference with the RAS. Can't wait to tow the trailer again and see if i can see a big difference. Towing was the original reason for the install. Though stable already, it was a tad saggy in the back end, even with the Equalizer 12K WD hitch (trailer is 8K loaded)

Kips

#2 ·
So you went this route instead of a rear sway bar?

#3 · (Edited)
I think he said he has a sway bar too. I also just received but have not installed my RAS. I have air bags and a SB already and hope the RAS will give me a more stable towing experience with my 32' tag 12000#. I'm also going to try a tighten up the steering adjustment.

FYI I tried to order the RAS at Summit on my Atech account because they were offering an additional 10% discount+ free shipping for Dec, but they are BO'd on the X part #. So I called RAS direct and they matched the Summit Atech price but couldn't do the 10% discount. Price was $299 delivered.

#4 ·
Yes, I see that now lol.

Pauls1948, you are going to run the RAS as well as your air bags and sway bar? That seems like quite the setup.

#5 ·
Looking for anything to let me drive the rig, rather than it driving me. This is the last tweak before I give up and get a 2500 series pickup. 7.3 PS, 2wd (new ball joints and shocks) and only 80K miles has all the HP I need and great mileage. It's just mush on handling for towing a heavy load. Heaven forbid I ever have to avoid something in a hurry.

#6 ·
I think he said he has a sway bar too. I also just received but have not installed my RAS. I have air bags and a SB already and hope the RAS will give me a more stable towing experience with my 32' tag 12000#. I'm also going to try a tighten up the steering adjustment.

Ever thought your are way overloaded???!!!

Talk to Smokey Wren about your GVWR/GVWR if not.

#8 ·
BTW never has ford given the excursion a 12K tow rating. Receiver is not even rated for that load.

#9 ·
I'm going by the F250 specs which say 12,500. Is it not the same chassis but different springs? If you equal the spring capacity shouldn't it be the same towing capacity? Same brakes and everything else right? Same hitch? Whatever, I'm at 10K or less most of the time and problem still exist. Overloading is not the issue.

#10 ·
In regards to sway bar, yes, did bilsteins and swaybar a year ago, it also was a great improvement from stock, but this last mod with RAS was a huge jump in handling. I know i have read other threads that influenced my decisions so i thought it might be a help to others. In regards to towing 12K, i wouldn't attempt it with a stock 7.3L. It is a great motor, but simply not enough HP/TQ for me to attempt that much weight. I purchased the 7.3L for durability and so far so good. I know my trailer is 33' and 8K lbs and i couldn't see much more, esp. for trips to the mountains. I am hoping to do gauges and chip sometime in 2011. Kips

#11 ·
hp and tq are not an issue pulling my 31TT 8K. You need to tune/exhaust/guages/intake and the rockies are mostly gravy. Build some boost/momentum before the grade and there is no power issues.
We have a 2wd and my 4wd pulling the TT with relatively the same setup WD Hitch, power enhancements etc. Both 7.3's
Looking for another 2WD to add soon.

#12 ·
Roadnaster Active Suspension F250

Well I just put the RAS on my 2013 F250 SD diesel. I'm pulling a 37' fifth wheel with a total in-bed (I figure) around 2500 lbs, including the autoslide hitch (I have a short bed). I'm hoping for less tail drag and from what I've read the improved handling would be e also appreciated. I'm going out in tow weeks so I'll check back in.

#13 ·
Just put the RAS, Bilstein's & the Hellwig rear sway bar on mine Tuesday, haven't had a chance to tow with it yet but it sure rides and corners much better now.

#14 · (Edited)
RAS on my 2013 F250

Well had the RAS installed on my 2013 F250 Diesel and they did improve the ride and handling. My question to the installers was how would they improve my load handling, since the overload leaf had to be removed to install the RAS. They told me that they were informed it would work. I trusted them, since I originally wanted the Air Ride overloads. They talked me out of the Air Rides.
Well hooked up my 37' fifth wheel and went out for a three day trip and my fears were realized. The truck suffered from what I call dragging ass. It really set down, head lights in the sky. So back to the installer and they made good with the 30 day return and I had the Air Ride installed along with the reinstallation of the original overload leaves.
The total in bed weight is somewhere around 2,000 to 2,3000 pounds and the Air Rides work great.
Note: The RAS were set to heavy load.

#15 ·
Well had the RAS installed on my 2013 F250 Diesel and they did improve the ride and handling. My question to the installers was how would they improve my load handling, since the overload leaf had to be removed to install the RAS. They told me that they were informed it would work. I trusted them, since I originally wanted the Air Ride overloads. They talked me out of the Air Rides.
Well hooked up my 37' fifth wheel and went out for a three day trip and my fears were realized. The truck suffered from what I call dragging ass. It really set down, head lights in the sky. So back to the installer and they made good with the 30 day return and I had the Air Ride installed along with the reinstallation of the original overload leaves.
The total in bed weight is somewhere around 2,000 to 2,3000 pounds and the Air Rides work great.
Note: The RAS were set to heavy load.
I've loved the Air Rides on my Excursion over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.