Starting before glow-plug light is out... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2002, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting before glow-plug light is out...

How hard is it on the engine, to start it prior to the 'wait to start' light going out? So far, I've forgotten to wait and just cranked the motor over on several occassions. Seems to start okay, but I wonder if it is doing anything negative to the motor. On the Cummins marine engines, there is no glow plug or wait.

Len
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2002, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Re: Starting before glow-plug light is out...

Probably harder on the starter than anything,my wife learned early on to wait till after two cycles on the Internationals to push the start button [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I recall when my boss(Mr.moneybags) got a beautiful 99 F550 brand new with a Century 19' polished aluminum carrier on it,you know the way he started it,just popped the key in,pumped the accelerator(I'm not making that up!)[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] and cranked it till it started,no wonder why the truck was hashed in a few months! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

BTS Transmission,6.0L trans cooler,13" PI Stallion TC
Magnaflow 4" exhaust and a few other mods.
CHPMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2002, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Len,

Try avoid short cycling your start-ups. My wife, being new to diesels, did this a few times on our new Excursion and she wasted the glow plug controller. Luckily it was still under warrantee. The service advisor says it happens all the time when you short-cycle the plugs. Be patient and wait for the light to go off and it will save you a trip to the dealer. If you want the full story on this mishap do a search on "OBDII" where I talk about using my new code reader to find my starting problem.

Todd

2001 Excursion POWESTROKE, steel blue, Rancho 9000, Hellwig rear sway bar, Rancho stablilizer, billet fuel door, wife's ride
289Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2002, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just crank it over without looking at the light during warm weather and have no problems starting it. Usually, it just fires right up. My 97 powerstroke behaved the same. I have never had any starting problems with the powerstroke. When its cold out, like now, both my wife and myself wait for the light go go off when we first start it up, but after that, once the engine is warm, it starts instantly. I guess I would say that you should use your judgement in that if you have to crank the engine for very much time at all, you should be using the plugs to warm it up.

On a side note, after just getting my 97 pstroke, I went for a ski trip in upstate Vermont, armed with a powercord to plug it in. It was -25 below and I left it plugged in. Went out to start it one morning and noticed that the snow was not melted at all on the hood. Apparently, the plug's GFI breaker had gone off and the truck was stone cold. IT STARTED! Actually, it was the only vehicle that started in the parking lot! I could never have done that with my 91 7.3.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I assume you were using some kind of DFA, right?

Glad to see there is someone who has more miles on his than mine, I only have 37K on mine.

BTW I use one pint of Shell Rotilla DFA almost every tank and a little more below 20 degrees.

Bruce
Tekonsha Prodigy
Ford 30MM Rear Bar
BridgeStone 285/75-16AT(D range) Revos, Now have a winter and summer set each with a set of wheels!
V Code LF, U Code RF Modified Fs in the rear
Catch All Linners
750 W Inverter
Magnaflow XL System W/ 3.5 DP OE Cat spliced in at 4" inlet and 3-3/4" outlet.
ART Rotors, Performance Friction Pads, Front & Rear
Rancho RSXs on Front and 9000s set at 2 on rear
06 Chrome Package Grill,bumpers and hooks. After an encounter with a Honda, (She got the ticket)
2005 Ex and Specs and Pictures of 2002 X
Bruce1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2002, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure what you mean by DFA. Is that a low temp additive? Our fuel is winterized around here and typically you don't need to add any additives to it. I am not sure when they make the switch around here to the winterized fuel, but I do notice the milage drops off a bit, like .5 to 1 mpg. That might though also be do to the wife idling the truck more in the driveway. I know...I've told her not to bother since it harms the truck and doesn't warm up much until a load is on the engine. I've never had any gelling or freeze up problems on any of the Powerstrokes. The old 7.3 was a total different story and believe me, that truck is not missed. I believe it didn't have all the preheaters and such that the newer designs have. I had trouble starting it on 32 degree days even with the block heater!

I need to update my sig I guess because I now have over 46,000 miles on the X. It is a great family vehicle with very long legs. I have driven 12 hours non-stop in it alone(without kids) between fillups on a trip to Florida. BTW, I averaged 15.5 mpg, partially loaded, for the trip, averaging 75-80mph, so needless to say I am very pleased with this truck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] May trade though to get the best of the best next year with the new 6.0.

BTW, I am VERY tired of the ride, though, and will be making a suspension upgrade such as yours. I am looking at the v codes, or even the x codes. When I towed a 24' aluminum pontoon boat this fall, the compromised suspension really was noticeable to the point of being scary. And this boat is no where near the weight limit of the truck.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes DFA = Diesel Fuel Additive, most do a lot more than keep the fuel from gelling, including keeping the fuel system clean, lubed and even a little centane boost. It even seems to help with idle knock, cackle. There are several out there, I use the shell because it is easy to get at Sam's when I get oil, I usually get 12 gal of oil and a Case of DFA every second or third time I get oil. The shell DFA comes in like a 96 oz jug, 4-6 to a case (I forget) and I keep two one quart bottles next to the jack so I am set for four fill ups. enough for most round trips.

Bruce
Tekonsha Prodigy
Ford 30MM Rear Bar
BridgeStone 285/75-16AT(D range) Revos, Now have a winter and summer set each with a set of wheels!
V Code LF, U Code RF Modified Fs in the rear
Catch All Linners
750 W Inverter
Magnaflow XL System W/ 3.5 DP OE Cat spliced in at 4" inlet and 3-3/4" outlet.
ART Rotors, Performance Friction Pads, Front & Rear
Rancho RSXs on Front and 9000s set at 2 on rear
06 Chrome Package Grill,bumpers and hooks. After an encounter with a Honda, (She got the ticket)
2005 Ex and Specs and Pictures of 2002 X
Bruce1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2002, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip Bruce. Probably should be using it now and then. Was thinking about doing the fuel tank mods this spring in efforts to quiet it down and increase economy as well. First, I plan on the remote filter mod anyway.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.