Starting Issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Issues

I am hoping someone can helps us figure this out. My brother owns a 2002 7.3. I has a hard time starting when it gets the least bit cold out, but when he plugs it in, it starts right up. We did an oil change yesterday which he hadnt done since he bought it. It now has the Rotella in it. We changed his glow plug relay around the first of the year. Another thing he does to get it to start is, turn the key to on and wait for the light, turn it off and turn it back on again and wait. He does this about three times and then turns the key to start it. It then starts. I dont think he has the issue when its warm, but even when it gets in the 40's here in Utah, it struggles if it is not plugged in. My 2000 7.3 cranks for 2-3 seconds and fires right up. Today we woke up to a foot of snow, and mine cranked and started. Could his be a glow plug issue? What more can we try to see if we can get past this issue?

Thanks everyone in advance.
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

sounds like a glow plug relay......
2005 Rubicon, Orange, 76,000 miles
dieseldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
If you already changed the relay, then it is the glow plugs. Especially if it starts after multiple key cycles. The excursions usually throw a code when the relay goes bad. But you could test it to be sure.
2002 F-350 CC Shortbed, Rebuilt 7.3 Powerstroke, 192K, head studs, Adrenalin HPOP, DIY BHAF, EBV brake mod, New motor, New trans both @ 170K, 4" Lift, 35" BFG KM2, GEAR HEAD 6 Position, Banks Big Head Wastegate, 4" Duals, Superlift Air Bags, B&W Hide a ball W/ 5th Wheel Companion, Marinco mod

LOCAL 3 OPERATORS UNION UTAH
LOCAL 140 PIPE WELDERS/ FITTERS UNION UTAH
Wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

It might be glow plug system related, but it could be as simple as batteries that are getting weak. The engine has to turn over fast enough build enough oil pressure to fire the injectors. If the batteries are weak, the drop in temp may slow down the cranking enough to keep the systems from putting fuel in the cylinders.

We have a Glow Plug Module instead of relay. It is more expensive than the relay, but I think it allows you to know which glow plugs are bad if you have it scanned for codes.

Plugging in the block warmer warms the whole engine compartment if it is plugged in long enough. So that helps the batteries too.

The problem may have nothing to do with the batteries, or it could be a combination of the two.
Isspro EV, Overhead 3-Gauge Mount
300K and rolling right along
Ford AIS
6.0 Liter Tranmission Cooler
BoilermakerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. He did mention something about the batteries as well. Maybe will start there and see if there is any improvement. The batteries are the easiest to swap out. Then we will look into the glow plugs.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
I say batteries too, and put a meter on the alt, when running it should put out around 14.4. If the batteries are newer it could be the alt. It kind of goes hand in hand, I have had 3 alts in 270k and 10 years, I quit buying the NAPA crap and went with a Ford alt, it has lasted a long time now, longer than the others. When the alt goes it is weak and the batteries don't charge, if the batteries are weak the alt works overtime and goes south. The last would be the starter, if it is going south it will crank slow. Start at the alt with the meter, if it is pumping out 14.4 it would be the batteries, get the Interstate with 1000 cold cranking amps, I have had good luck with mine. Also keep an eye on the block heater plug end, they go bad and can short out and burn the truck down. Once I plugged mine in and it sparked big time, I replaced it with a Marinco plug that mounts in the bumper and eliminated the plug end with a waterproof housing with the male end protected and fixed so it is not being stressed and moved around. Heck mine did not even work due to a broken wire in the plug end. A way to tell if it is working is to feel the ext cord, it will be warm if it is drawing current. Also an ohm reading across the plug ends will tell if it is open (broken) or show about 15 to 20 ohms of resistance, which means it is good. The wire causes resistance to the current, no resistance means nothing is flowing thru the wire because it is open....or broken. Good luck.
2003 7.3 Excursion Limited Ultimate, Mineral Grey Metalic. DVD, Limited Slip, Badged, Cab Lights, Magnaflow, Thule Rack, Top Gun Bumper, 3" Lift, T Prodigy, Air Bags, Edge Programer, XM Radio, Extreme sound system. PIAA Lights, Toyo 325/60/18s on Chrome Alum rims.
MotionMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.