Steering Issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Issue

Just bought my wife a 2002 Excursion with an 8 inch lift,King coilovers in front and a Banks system. The problem Im having is that it doesnt steer worth a crap.Your all over the road and God forbid you put a trailer behind it. I've tried to tighten up the steering gear and that hasn't done anything. The mechanic I went to said all the ball joints look and feel great. It doesnt have a rear sway bar. So my question is should I put on a sway bar and change the steering gear or is there something Im not looking at.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How big are the tires? Did your mechanic look at the tie rods, steering linkages?
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

37's and yes he said everything looked tight.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Steering gear change isn't going to make a change in my opinion. I don't deal with lifts and don't do any suspension work on lifted vehicles. Some one with more experiences should see this and respond. I was mainly trying to get as much mechanical information.

Answered on my iPhone.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
The deflection of pitman shaft should be checked when you steer left and right while sitting still. The steering gears on earlier SD's do have issues in that area.
I have replaced a few of them on 99 through 03's. The parts show to be the same but there must have been a tolerance issue addressed about then.
I have gotten the rebuilt complete units from NAPA and have not had a dud yet. For lifted trucks with much greater steering box loads I'd probably get a Red-Head rebuilt. They have a great reputation with rebuilts units for lifted trucks.
Dodge and Ford use Visteon (unless the steering gear division got sold) and Red-Head supposedly has some mods they do to get better pitman shaft control. It may be a longer needle bearing.
Pitman shaft wear and resulting looseness affects all of the big three trucks and is the biggest reason a steering gear gets changed.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Does it have a steering stabilizer across the front of the steering rack? i wouls assume with a lift of that size it wouls have one but, When I put my lift on I didnt have a stabilizer and it drove terrible.

Jimmy
Magnaflo 4" exhaust with Aero Turbine muffler
Freakin love this truck
Pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/jimweee
jimweee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I went through all of the suspension upgrades, had PSC rebuild the gearbox since they happen to be right down the road and I put bilsteins, rear sway bar, adj track bar, bilsteins steering stabilizer, new drop links for front torsion bar wider wheels and Michelin AT2's, while there was an improvement but it is not great.. The steering is still sloppy and my F150 with the same 30 foot camper handles 100 times better than my ex. I have followed up with the folks at PSC and they recommended shimming the front axle I think to 5 degrees but I have not done this due to conflicting answers from others. One thing I was told is that ford updated the steering and made it bigger as the ones that are on the early ex's are to small or are not heavy duty enough. Not sure what I am going to do with it as I luv the truck but I hate towing with it.
V/ Mod B Spring upgrade
FABTEC ADJ TracBar
Bilstein Shocks w twin mount up front
Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Helwig rear sway bar
31 Row trans cooler
05-07 Grill from Sinister Diesel
Isspro Gauges and triple, A Pillar Pods
New Hydroboost, Steering Box, Power Steering Pump, Master Cylinder, Condenser, Radiator, Resivoir.
Royal Purple in Differentials.
MBRP 4" Turbo back Exhaust
NAVYFLYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

How much freeplay at the steering wheel rim? I have about 1/2" with a new (rebuilt) box from Ford. You can see from my sig I have all the mods. (Caster did not help much, but does chew the tires up. Must rotate every 2000 miles.)

Biggest single improvement in directional stabiliy was from ladder bars. Still, it's no Suburban.

DOC
2001 4WD 7.3 PSD Excursion: Detroit TrueTrac Vs and CT's Mod Bs Shortest F250 Blocks Tuff Country Ladder Bars Helwig Anti-Roll Bars Front and Rear 2003 Ex Front Bump Stops Superduty Rear Airbags CT's 4 Front and 2 rear Bilstein 5100s Top Gun Double Bilstein Steering Damper Red Head Steering Box 5 Degrees Positive Front Caster Stock wheels with Pirelli Scorpion ATs ART Rotors Porterfield R4S pads Walker BTM Zeibart
DOC4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have the same issue, have done everything under the sun, I removed both tie rod ends from the spindles and found that I could barely turn the drivers spindle left to right with both hands. the pass. side is as free as a bird. I replaced the ball joints on the Dr. side(which had no play in them) and the end result was minimally better. Now after driving 5000 miles or so its as bad as it was before. So, if check there and if you find the fix let us all know. Thanks

formerly known as; pullmyfinger

http://community.webshots.com/user/pullmyfinger76
ltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

You may need to check the rear end allignment it is a solid axle however it can be shimmed. With a trailer it lifts the front up and lowering your caster. A more positive caster will help stability. But if your rear end is out you will always be fighting the thrust angle

Sent from my SCH-R950 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Jwyow865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Front caster with a solid front axle does not change as the nose comes up in the scenario you described. However, toe-in usually changes in the direction of less toe-in or more toe-out, depending on your alignment starting point at ride height (unless all bump steer has been tuned out).

That can certainly reduce directional stability. You can see from my sig that I have a lot more caster than stock, but it does not seem to make the kind of difference it does on vehicles with IFS.

DOC
2001 4WD 7.3 PSD Excursion: Detroit TrueTrac Vs and CT's Mod Bs Shortest F250 Blocks Tuff Country Ladder Bars Helwig Anti-Roll Bars Front and Rear 2003 Ex Front Bump Stops Superduty Rear Airbags CT's 4 Front and 2 rear Bilstein 5100s Top Gun Double Bilstein Steering Damper Red Head Steering Box 5 Degrees Positive Front Caster Stock wheels with Pirelli Scorpion ATs ART Rotors Porterfield R4S pads Walker BTM Zeibart
DOC4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

As stupid as it sounds after buying new tires and driving around I know my EX was terrible with low air. Check air pressure as with any D rated tire the side walls will roll and with 37" tires there is a whole lotta side wall. Simple and quick but it made all the difference with mine. THe old tires were shot and leaked everywhere but still low air was the problem.

Early 1986 (1985) F250 Supercab stock 6.9 bought with 70,000 miles in 2008. Stock skinny wheels and stock 3:55 limited slip axles. Rebuilt trans with E40D first and second gears. SOLD

1999 F350 Dually 6spd manual trans. Banks exhaust, Modded impellor and Big Head Waste gate, DP TUNER flashed PCM, Full Force Diesel Single Staged Injectors. EBPV mod for exhaust brakes. Hutch Mod to gas tank. SOLD/TRADED

2001 Excursion Limited Auto trans many buttons I still am finding. Factory 3 inch lift low mileage. 100% stock today we will see what tomorrow brings.

AE scanner in the Inland Empire Sunny So Cal.

Autoenginuity

Living the dream 1-1/4 miles closer to heaven.
mtnsammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well I put the Hellwig rear sway bar on and it made it to were I can drive this thing without breaking my fingers on the steering wheel from holding on so tight.Its still not great but I can tow a trailer and take it to Vegas.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wondering if your steering comes back to center on it's own after cornering?
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Sorry I have not followed up but some info on my findings with all of this. In my post above I meant to say larger steering box, apparently the newer super duty's have a larger steering box. I have not gone down the road of trying to retrofit one but I was told they are to big for thd area.... However I am sure a lil redneck inginuity one can figure something out.

IRT steering wheel free play I have about the same 1/2 inch or so to maybe a tad more but when you put the camper back there it amplifies it. From what I have been researching I am thinking ladder bars on all four corners. This would eliminate fore and aft play and hopefully lock in the axle and remove all torsion (bump) steering. I have been checking out lifted trucks around the metroplex to see what they are running but have not decided on a set up yet.

As far as the ball joints, you have to be careful with them as there is a specific torque sequence as I learned. I had a local shop change them for me and they winched down on them and the steering was hanging up after install of new ball joints. I recall the increments being in 25 ft lbs but don't quote me on it.

My wheels do center when the steering whelk is let go out of a turn.
V/ Mod B Spring upgrade
FABTEC ADJ TracBar
Bilstein Shocks w twin mount up front
Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
Helwig rear sway bar
31 Row trans cooler
05-07 Grill from Sinister Diesel
Isspro Gauges and triple, A Pillar Pods
New Hydroboost, Steering Box, Power Steering Pump, Master Cylinder, Condenser, Radiator, Resivoir.
Royal Purple in Differentials.
MBRP 4" Turbo back Exhaust
NAVYFLYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.