Tach wire location for remote start install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2003, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tach wire location for remote start install

Finished the overhead cab light install Christmas afternoon and began tackling the remote start / alarm system today, but have run into one problem.

Can't locate the tach wire. Does anyone have an idea where I can locate? I know just enough to be dangerous, so would appreciate any advise.

Kind regards,

Randy
2004 Excursion 4X4 Limited 6.0 PSD, Mineral Gray Metallic, badged, Tow Mirrors, Rear DVD with wireless sound, 3.73 ratio, limited-slip differential, Rancho steering stabilizer, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar, Air-Lift rear springs.
Towing a 2003 - 32' Fleetwood Pride travel trailer with slide-out.
2003 Kubota BX2200 diesel tractor, with front-end loader, backhoe. Boy, can I dig some holes in the yard with this toy!
RG43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2003, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: Tach wire location for remote start install

Hey Randy, Not sure if this will help but it's worth a try.

There is a 6.0l "Bible" over at flatratetech.com
It is for the 2003.25 but should be close for 2004 as far as I can tell. (Sensor locations have moved on '04s)
There is a section that discusses the "Tach" signal and how it is derived. It is a function of the PCM using both the CKP and CMP.
Unfortunately, there is no "key" for the abbreviations on the schematic.
Maybe one of the Ford techs will chime in????

HERE IS THE LINK

It shows the PCM connections and might have the one your looking for.
Most of the new alarms have a "sense" line that measures the voltage as you are starting the engine. They look for the voltage to go up and assume the engine has started. You might check and see if yours has this feature.
Hope this helps!!!
I'm going to be doing mine in the next couple of weeks so maybe you can help me then!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Good Luck!!

Blake [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

PS.... It's on page 88-89... Lots of interesting reading though...
'04/'04 X LTD 4X4 6.0, Black of course. Purchased on 11/08/03 Xcode Springs and Blocks, Rancho RS9000X, Everything On It!! Quad Captains,DVD,4" CATBack, Engine 9/26 Build 10/03. Blue fuel spring, ARP Studs, Bullet Proof EGR Cooler, CCV catch can, 6.4 fuel banjos.
"Totaled" 2000 X LTD PSD 4X4 RIP 9/19/03 PPIII Banks Monster Xcodes RS9000X
95 Mustung GT Convt., Eibach, 65mm BBK Throttle Body, Powerdyne 9psi Blower, Cobra PCM, 24lb Injectors.
bwalker5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2003, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am not positive on this but I do not think you have a tach "wire". On the '99-'01 the tach wire tap was easy. I have a remote start on a '99 and a '00. In '02 the dash changed and the wire went away. I know it can be done on an '02 but it is very difficult. The shop I use has done several '02's but I am not sure about '03 and '04's. Good luck.

2000 Excursion 4x4

http://community.webshots.com/user/mmsafd
mmsafd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2003, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

For 2002 it was

[ QUOTE ]
21. Super Duty F-Series vehicles are equipped with a
clean tachometer output (CTO) wiring tap. The tap
is designated circuit 76 (LG/W) and is located
under dash near the parking brake pedal. See
Figure A, page 277. This tap should be used if a
tachometer signal is required.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I am 99% this is what I used for mine

Found at
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...l/2002/278.pdf
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...l/2002/277.pdf

2004 Seems to be the same but I could not find the statement as above for 2004

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bb_pdf/187.pdf

Bruce

Tekonsha Prodigy
Ford 30MM Rear Bar
BridgeStone 285/75-16AT(D range) Revos, Now have a winter and summer set each with a set of wheels!
V Code LF, U Code RF Modified Fs in the rear
Catch All Linners
750 W Inverter
Magnaflow XL System W/ 3.5 DP OE Cat spliced in at 4" inlet and 3-3/4" outlet.
ART Rotors, Performance Friction Pads, Front & Rear
Rancho RSXs on Front and 9000s set at 2 on rear
06 Chrome Package Grill,bumpers and hooks. After an encounter with a Honda, (She got the ticket)
2005 Ex and Specs and Pictures of 2002 X
Bruce1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2003, 12:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I'll let you know what finally works. I've got six hours into this install and it's been eating my lunch,, and then some. Next day off comes later this week. Will tackle again.
Thanks, again! This TDS site is awesome! Great folks helping each other out!
2004 Excursion 4X4 Limited 6.0 PSD, Mineral Gray Metallic, badged, Tow Mirrors, Rear DVD with wireless sound, 3.73 ratio, limited-slip differential, Rancho steering stabilizer, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar, Air-Lift rear springs.
2003 Kubota BX2200 diesel tractor, with front-end loader, backhoe. Boy, can I dig some holes in the yard with this toy!
Old 01-03-2004, 04:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey X, I was just looking at the "bible" and there is a CTO pin on the second page of the single alternator section. Listed as "aftermarket circuits". It shows it NOT hooked up to anything.???
I wonder if it's the same????
What do you think Bruce??

'04/'04 X LTD 4X4 6.0, Black of course. Purchased on 11/08/03 Xcode Springs and Blocks, Rancho RS9000X, Everything On It!! Quad Captains,DVD,4" CATBack, Engine 9/26 Build 10/03. Blue fuel spring, ARP Studs, Bullet Proof EGR Cooler, CCV catch can, 6.4 fuel banjos.
95 Mustung GT Convt., Eibach, 65mm BBK Throttle Body, Powerdyne 9psi Blower, Cobra PCM, 24lb Injectors.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Found it!!!!!

GO HERE

Paragraph 20. Note that it is 1/2 of the acutal pulses!!!!!
Thanks Bruce for the lead!!!

Old 01-03-2004, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, that is it!

Bruce
Tekonsha Prodigy
Ford 30MM Rear Bar
BridgeStone 285/75-16AT(D range) Revos, Now have a winter and summer set each with a set of wheels!
V Code LF, U Code RF Modified Fs in the rear
Catch All Linners
750 W Inverter
Magnaflow XL System W/ 3.5 DP OE Cat spliced in at 4" inlet and 3-3/4" outlet.
ART Rotors, Performance Friction Pads, Front & Rear
Rancho RSXs on Front and 9000s set at 2 on rear
06 Chrome Package Grill,bumpers and hooks. After an encounter with a Honda, (She got the ticket)
2005 Ex and Specs and Pictures of 2002 X
Bruce1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2004, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Found a set of 7 wires (4 heavy guage, 3 smaller)behind the fuse box that are dead-ended for aftermarket install. The four heavier wires are colors red, white, blue and black. If you open the hood you'll find them dead-ended there as well. I metered the smaller wires (white, yellow/white, and green/white) and the green/white tested to be the tach wire, having an AC voltage variance when the accelerator is depressed of up to 1.6 volts.

If any of you plan on installing your own remote start/alarm the tach wire above, and the following main 6-pin connections to the remote module will be needed. They are somewhat different than two wiring diagrams I tracked down. This is what I found to work on my 2004 X with 6.0 diesel.

Unbolt the fuse panel (four bolts) and pull down out of the way as far as you can get it. It won't be far at all. From there, I unbolted the wiring harness (1 spring-loaded bolt, either a 7mm or 8mm head). There are 7 heavy-guage wires and two smaller wires. Yellow/gray connects to your white wire from the module(run only); 2 yellow wires are constant 12V so both red wires from your 6-pin module connects to these; the green wire connects to the module's white wire; blue/green on the X connects to the green for the module; the small yellow/white is 12V in run/start only so connect it to the module's blue wire.

Hope this helps someone. I struggled with this install over a three day period. I'm usually pretty good with household wiring, but this remote start install really kicked my tail! I'd strongly recommend having it installed by a professional.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good Job X!!!!
What alarm did you install?
I'm going to be doing this anytime now I swear!!!
I've been helping a friend tile a bathroom and my time is non-existent!
I have had the AutoPage for a month now!
Gotta do it soon....

Take Care...

Old 01-05-2004, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Installed an UltraStart 4425TL. Has all of the bells and whistles for alarm, too, but haven't programmed in much of that yet. Mainly wanted the remote start to have that "just right feeling" when I stepped up into this monster each day!

Oh, yeah, it's really cool, too, to remote start the truck. My wife just shakes her head and says it must be another "guy" thing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.