Tight Shift Lever - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tight Shift Lever

Greetings, anyone had any problems with a hard to move shifter?
2005 Rubicon, Orange, 76,000 miles
dieseldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes take the access panel off under your steering column. Then lay down on the floor looking up at the column underneath. There are 2 bolts that hold the shifter in place if they are loose or missing you can bend your shifter tube. I had mine drop a screw and the other go loose. This happened to my 2000 F250 7.3. She had about 81,000 miles on her and was 81/2 years old at the time. Other than that maybe someone else can come up with other options to look for. Good Luck
aleutianman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I will look at that.......
2005 Rubicon, Orange, 76,000 miles
dieseldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
I am not sure if the X is different from the PU but I just pulled my bottom cover and I could not see any bolts. I did have to replace the shift arm due to a bad OD button and I remember them being on the top. I did not verify this because I did not want to pull the ignition out....but I did when I replaced the arm. There are 2 black plastic bushings that the arm rides on when moved, I bought them for when I did the arm but it was more involved and I skipped it. I still have them in case. My arm seems loose but the dealer said the bushings were the fix, I guess when I hear metal on metal I will have to dig in.
2003 7.3 Excursion Limited Ultimate, Mineral Grey Metalic. DVD, Limited Slip, Badged, Cab Lights, Magnaflow, Thule Rack, Top Gun Bumper, 3" Lift, T Prodigy, Air Bags, Edge Programer, XM Radio, Extreme sound system. PIAA Lights, Toyo 325/60/18s on Chrome Alum rims.
MotionMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
The X is identical to the pickup. The bolts are not under the cover, you don't remove the cover to find and tighten the two Torx head bolts. They are near the floor.

Another likely place is the TRS on the driver's side of the trans. It is the part where the shift cable attaches with the wiring harness. I've seen them get hard to move.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ah ha, an expert. My problem is what seems to be a loose shift arm, it has a good bit of play in it. It moves fine and all but it just seems to have play in it. Would this be the bushings? If you read the post it read like the bolts were under the cover. Where on the floor might I find these. Thanks.
2003 7.3 Excursion Limited Ultimate, Mineral Grey Metalic. DVD, Limited Slip, Badged, Cab Lights, Magnaflow, Thule Rack, Top Gun Bumper, 3" Lift, T Prodigy, Air Bags, Edge Programer, XM Radio, Extreme sound system. PIAA Lights, Toyo 325/60/18s on Chrome Alum rims.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

They are not under the cover, and they are not on the floor. They are on the steering column just above the floor. There are two bolts with Torx heads. Before replacing bushings make sure these bolts are tight.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, I will check them out. I'm saving your name, I bet you know these like the back of your hand. I have the bushings, I ordered a new steering wheel since mine is all worn and looks horrible. I think I will look at the bushings when the wheel comes off but this I can do now. Happy Holidays.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The X is identical to the pickup. The bolts are not under the cover, you don't remove the cover to find and tighten the two Torx head bolts. They are near the floor.

Another likely place is the TRS on the driver's side of the trans. It is the part where the shift cable attaches with the wiring harness. I've seen them get hard to move.
Can this be checked by just disconnecting the cable from the trans, and then seeing if the tightness is in the column/cable or the trans?
Thanks, as my 00 is really stiff to shift...
Garry

2001 Nomad 308 (32" w/ 14' Slide) Bunkhouse (in WA State)
2000 Excursion V-10 4x4 120k Bone Stock and still running strong! (In WA State)

2002 F350 XLT 4x4 CCSB SRW 5.4 V-8 6-Spd 17,811 original miles (Bought 2-5-10) 19.5 Visions 265-70-19.5 Load Range G Michelan AT's; Mile Marker SS Hubs, Helwig Sway Bar, Rancho RS9000's (In Kodiak, AK)
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (In Kodiak, AK)
4 kids and love to travel and camp!
garryk6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, that's a good test to see if it is the TRS or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.