Track bar needs new bushings - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Power Stroke Excursions Technical discussion of the Ford Excursion SUV with the Power Stroke diesel.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Track bar needs new bushings

I've been hearing a clunking sound coming from under my feet when driving. So I was underneath today shaking things until I found the track bar moved a little. The upper bushing appears to be worn out. I suspect thats the sound I'm hearing (and feeling). Is this a common maintenance item with only 67k miles on the truck? Anyone have recommendations for a place to buy new bushings for the track bar?
2002[1/02] Excursion 4x4 Ltd. PSD,Unknown program, K&N GenII FIPK Air Filter, straight pipe exhaust, Autometer Z Series pyrometer and boost gauges, Air Lift SuperDuty air bags with Load Controller II onboard air system, Sonnax Tricumulator, HX hose.
Mudraga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Re: Track bar needs new bushings

Track bar bushings are molded in place, and it is not unusual for them to be shot at 40,000 miles. I replaced my track bar with an adjustable one from Skyjacker and I'm happy with it.

The clunk under foot is PROBABLY the end link on the front sway bar. There was a TSB on them at one time. They appear tight but under a load they flop around because the hole dameter is much larger than the bolt. Tighten the snot out of them- I think they upped the torque to something like 140 foot pounds, but don't take my word for it. You twist off the bolt and a new end link is about $80.
Allison 1000 5 speed auto
clamgulch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

What is the advantage of an adjustable one? And what did you give for that track bar?
Rockin S Performance BTS dealer
good-times.webshots.com/photo/2120855500037306169oDlfMF Well did you touch it?
Soaggydogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

I too had a clunking noise coming from the front drivers side. My clunking was coming from the front sway bar bushings (the bushings that mount to the axle). The Ford part number for the bushings I bought is YC3Z-5484-BA and were only $9.90 a piece from the dealer. These are very easy to replace, about 15 minutes. Have someone rock the vehicle back and forth while you are underneath, listen and watch where the noise is coming from. I could easily see and hear where the knocking was coming from, if I grabbed the sway bar the noise stopped.

If those bushings aren't causing your clunking check the link bushings on the sway bar or your ball joints.

Dan
Old 02-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

I've had mine replace four times in 55,000 miles. They seem to go out when you do a steep angled approach...
2002 4x4 7.3PSD Excursion, U-Codes, '03 Jounce Bumpers, Hellwig Sway Bar, Rancho 9000 shocks, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Air-Lift rear air bags, Factory DVD, Driver side A-Pillar grab handle added, Rain-X wipersfront-24", rear-17"), riding on 285/75/R16 Bridgestone Revos.
IMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

[ QUOTE ]
What is the advantage of an adjustable one? And what did you give for that track bar?

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry, I didn't check this thread in a while. Adjustable one is a tube with heim joints at each end. They don't have a rubber component to wear out, so the steering is tighter. Additionally, they are adjustable for recentering your steering wheel.
Can't recall what I paid for it but it was made by Skyjacker.
Allison 1000 5 speed auto
clamgulch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Stroke Excursions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.