2004 E-350 6.0L fuel filter change - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2004 E-350 6.0L fuel filter change

I have a 2004 E-350 Super Duty with the notorious 6.0L diesel. I bought this about a year ago (39,000 mi.), have since replaced the EGR cooler and valve. Now, during winter here in Pennsylvania, I believe it may be time to change the fuel filters. Lots of hard, rough starts (Installed two new batteries last weekend). I would like to change the secondary fuel filter on top of the engine, but don't feel too comfortable removing power steering reservoir etc... just to fit my hand in there. Also would like to do the blue spring upgrade while i'm in there (already got the parts). Just wondering if there is an easier way of if anybody has done this. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
eseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
Removing the PS reservoir is fairly easy. I also remove the screws that hold the harness to the cowl and put the harness on top of the lip for better access. It all sounds much worse than it is.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the info, I might get around to this this week.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseries View Post
Thank you for the info, I might get around to this this week.
I service a fleet of ambulances with the ****-Point-O Diesel. This is how I do the secondary fuel filter.

Remove air filter cover and wedge the intake hose up to the left out of the way. We replace the air filter at the same time as the fuel filters so this isnt any extra work. Then take a 7/16 deep socket and loosen the clamp on the intake hose from the intercooler and do the same on the upper part of the same hose going into the intake manifold. Loosen the left clamp. Pull the lower part of the hose off the intercooler then the top part and pull it out of the way under steering resevoir enough to get your hand in to reach the filter. Remove the oil dipstick. Use a 1/2" drive ratchet to remove the filter cover. Let it drain a little before you pull it out. Be careful not to drip diesel on the belts. Install the filter on to the cover with the new O-ring and install into the filter housing. Put it all back together with a new air filter and you're done. About 10 min.
Hope this helps.
cfh420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have just unbolted the wire harness plastic enclosure and moved it up & out of the way. Last time i removed the plastic from the midsection of the harness cover and have little trouble getting my big hands in there to replace the filter. Never have to remove anything any longer. Good luck
2004 E450 Cutaway, 6.0L, quigley 4x4, ambulance pkg., maxbrake controller, curt 20k fifth wheel. Future mods: 52" sleeper, tandem (6x6?) rear (aint look'n likely), frame cover. maybe a Herd front bumper.
2003 E350, 7.3l, x-cargo
2003 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, Dark Green Fx4 SOLD
1995 C3500 6.5l work trk, 2x4, CC, DRW, white DECEASED PREMATURALLY
2003 JEEP WRANGLER, ooooops, not anymore!
1986 26' Seaway Northstar w/ 454 Mercruiser
2008 Montana Mountaineer 332PHT
1991 GMC Topkick, CAT, 4' vert. gang boxes, 12' dump. if only all were as reliable!
SIC-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info. I finally got around to this last weekend, and it was much easier than I thought it would be. The filters were pretty much completely black and full of sand. I wish I could of got a picture of them but my ****ty camera broke. I used the removing the intercooler hose method. thanks for helping me save money by not having to go to the local Ford dealer (a bunch of greedy liars.) Once I finally get a warm day I will attempt the blue spring upgrade and let you know how it goes.
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.