4x2 >>>>4x4..What's the Cost? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb 4x2 >>>>4x4..What's the Cost?

Is a 4x4 van as great as one would suppose it to be, and if so how much would one expend to make such a change?

I have seen a few kits for doing so and then some have said that all you need is a locker.

These vans sink like a rock when you get them near sandy soils.

If anyone out there has converted a van to 4x4, could you please share your experience.....
Cornerstone9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quigley charges $11,000 new for these. Not that it matters what it costs new for a option because it sounds like your doing the work yourself. But its a good to know how much you will save.
Premier Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

The quigley's look great, I believe they do an excellent job in the converstion process and from those owners I have talked to they love them. I'm just not happy with the late model vans that GM and Ford have been rolling out. Not to mention $11,000 on top of base van + Diesel + 4x4 = BROKE.
Cornerstone9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have been driving a 4x4 van since 1976 so you might say I've a bit of experience with them. Mine are used as dirt bike and quad haulers and as campers. Much better, to me, than a pickup/camper combination and then having to haul a trailer for the bike or quad. Or pulling a camp trailer and hauling the bike/quad in the bed of the truck. You are absolutely right - when the front end of these things sink in soft ground (especially with that heavy diesel engine) a rear locker will be of minimal help. You need those front tires working to pull it free.

There's a guy on here with the handle of Ujoint who I believe offers some kind of kit to convert vans to 4x4. Do a search and look at some of the photos of his van. His conversions are leaf spring instead of coil as most all of the conversion outfits except for Sportmobile use now, and I believe that leaf springs are the better way to go. If you want to know why, do a search for "death wobble" on this site or the Sportmobile forums site. www.ujointoffroad.com

I have a 2007 Quigley with the coil front end and I surely wish it had the leaf springs up front!

Last edited by deserteagle56; 06-15-2010 at 11:59 PM.
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

What is better about leafs? Do you get a higher GAWR on the front or what?

I would assume it rides a lot rougher?
Premier Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the plug Deserteagle.

Sure, you can get a higher payload with leaf springs, but that's generally not the case up front. When using a good quality spring & shock, leafs can ride just as good as coils. Sure, there are certain situations that a coil acts better, but there's no perfect setup. The leaf setup is the best scenario for simplicity, cost, durability, and easier to modify in the future.

By using a long spring (52") that is custom built to each individual van, the ride quality can be dialed in pretty well.

And another thought..... ride quality is always subjective!!!

ujointoffroad.com
Ujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
We have two Quigley 4x4 vans, and use them mostly for surf fishing. Being able to store the long fishing rods inside the van without taking them apart is a real bonus.

The 1995 Chevy G20 has the 5.7 L gas engine and 3.73 gears. It pulls real well in the sand - for soft sand like in Hatteras we have to air the tires down to about 20 psi.

Since we pull a 7000 lb. travel trailer, we recently pick up a 2005 Ford E-350 with the 6.0 L diesel and 4.10 gears. A couple of weeks ago was the first time we had it on the beach in Hatteras. While not as nimble as the gasser, the Ford did just fine - never got stuck, never even had to put it in low range. Again, the tires were down to 20 psi.

The plan is to keep the Chevy for everyday use - it is already showing rust - and only use the Ford when we are traveling with the trailer .....

Same beautiful wife, same dogs, different vans!

Last edited by MobyDick; 06-16-2010 at 11:12 AM.
MobyDick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Kirby View Post
What is better about leafs? Do you get a higher GAWR on the front or what?

I would assume it rides a lot rougher?
As Ujoint stated, what's better is the simplicity and durability. My first 4x4 van, leaf-sprung front end, I drove for 32 years, pounded it over mainly dirt roads all that time, and one set of ball joints is all I ever had to replace. Never any problems of any sort.
The reason I asked the original poster to research death wobble is that it almost never happens to leaf-sprung front ends and seems to be a common problem with coil sprung. Coil sprung front ends depend on multiple linkages all using some type of cushioning bushing, all of which age and wear and loosen and eventually need replacing. Those loose bushings are the primary cause of death wobble. Not long after Ford pickups went to coil front ends back in 2005 Ford had to issue a TSB on how to minimize wobble. My Quigley has only 24,000 miles on it. It too spends most of its time on dirt roads and though I have yet to experience death wobble - I can feel it is only a matter of time. It feels as though it is on the verge of shimmying all the time now, especially if I air down. (Tire size is LT285/70R17 on my rig - don't know if stock size tires and wheels will help the wobble problem)

As far as ride - I can't say that my Quigley rides any better than my old van did with the leaf springs. Matter of fact, the ride might be even a bit more harsh because I am afraid to air down.
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.