6.0L swap into 1990 E350 van challenges... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6.0L swap into 1990 E350 van challenges...

I have a 2007 E350 van with the 6.0 as well as a 1990 E350 van with the 7.3 IDI. Do I face big a challenge or is it possible to swap the 6.0/5R110 into the older 1990 E350 van?

I am aware of the addition of the intercooler and the coolant reservoir bottle would be required for the older E350 van.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
ANTHING is possible. It can be done. Will it be easy? Not even close.

I seem to remember the dog house area of the vans changed to make room for the diesels. I think the floor and the cover both changed, but I wasn't directly involved and it was about two decades ago. You'll want to take some measurements to be sure.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:09 PM

Well I would say on a scale 1 to 10 it's close to 12. A 6.0 system in an older truck everything needs to be swapped like from fuse block all the wires. Unless you get a stand alone kit.

Question one why you wanted to do the swap?

2. vans have a lower hp rating the trucks.

But anything is possible just need time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

This may sound funny to a lot of people, but I really like the 6.0. I like the way it runs and I like the way the 5R110 shifts.

I already own the donor vehicle, a 2007 E350 van cutaway with the short 138" Wheelbase. It's a retired ambulance with 119K miles on it, runs great.

I bought the 2007 E350 last summer, with the intention of swapping it into a 2004 E350 cutaway, identical chassis to the donor; but it is a Chinook RV.

A while back I found a 1990 E350 Chinook RV, equipped with the 7.3 IDI diesel. It has a small banks turbo, but it's sluggish out on the road.

Now here is the catcher, I only plan to keep one of these Chinooks, and sell the other. I'm leaning to keep the older one.

The older pre 1991 Econolines are much more comfortable to drive than the 1997 and newer Econolines. The older pre-1991 Econolines can have dual armrest captains chairs, which Ford axed in the newer vans in favor of big plastic door panels. The newer vans have a fat steering wheel, compared to the skinnier steering wheel used in the 1991 and older vans. The newer steering wheel hurts my hands after so many hours out on the road. And lastly, the location of the radio and the cigar lighter are much better in the old van. The radio is up high and easy to reach and see, while the cigar lighter is down low and out of the way which means the cord for charging my phone is out of the way. In the 1997 and newer vans, the cigar lighter and the power point are right behind the shifter and the charging cord always seems to be in the way. Also in the newer vans, the radio is low and more centered. I have to take my eyes off the road more to work with the radio vs the older vans.

One thing that I like about the 1997 and newer vans is the option to have modern mirrors on the doors, with power and heated options. The older pre-1991 vans have wing windows in the sail part of the door, limiting many modern mirror options.

These are observations that I noticed after taking many road trips in both the newer and the older Econolines.

As for the swap it does look to be tough. As Mark suggested, I need to pull the doghouse on the 1990 and the 2007 and take some measurements.

The electrical seems challenging as well, like rustygold mentioned. I want to keep the dash in the 1990 intact, which may be a challenge with the 6.0.

Last edited by vacuumbed; 05-19-2017 at 12:58 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 AM

My Photos: (7)
WOW! your more of a warrior than I am, or crazier. hehehe We need pics, or it didn't happen.

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM

@vacuumbed how's your fiberglass work? You could make the old dash fit for the new gauge cluster. It would be nice to have them auto dimming lights. You might be able to swap front clips with newer head lights and doing that will give you room for intercooler radiator exc.

If I was going to do this project I would pull the 7.3 out save it for later could get some money out of or another project. When I mean everything remove it all have to pull the wire harness out. Make mods and wiring harness mods if necessary.

Might have to mod the steering wheel harness unless you can swap the steering wheels. Use the new column with the old wheel.

Last edited by rustygold; 05-19-2017 at 09:41 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

@bork Do you just want pics of the vans? I haven't begun a swap.

@rustygold I may be able to improve the new van, but I'm not good at fiberglass.

A 7.3 Powerstroke from a 2000 to 2002 E-series van may be an easier swap. No intercooler to deal with.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:16 AM

It just depends on do you want extra power with an intercooler. With 7.3 powerstroke still have to pull the harness unless someone has found a way to bypass the fuse block.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:54 AM

My Photos: (7)
Pics if you do indeed tackle the swap. (of the actual swapping)

1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.