92up Cutaway cab rear wall - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2002, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
92up Cutaway cab rear wall

Hey guys, awhile ago in a magazine, I read about "van-savers" where you could cut off the back of a rusty van and use a fiberglass rear wall to "save" the cab. I am looking for the same thing for my 96 Cutaway E-cab. I tried using a search on the internet but just came up with a ton of abstract postings. Would anyone know of a company that makes these walls? I am absolutely sure there is one out there. Thanks, and please, any help is appreciated.

SCV
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2002, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 92up Cutaway cab rear wall

20 views and no responses?
Old 03-22-2002, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Try Ford Motor Company.

They have developed a "back wall" for the E-Series Cutaway Cab. Sorry, I can't help with part numbers or release dates, but I have seen one at a Ford plant, and have read a little blurb about them too.

If you can't wait for Ford's release (very soon now... this spring), then try U-Haul Corporate Headquarters. They contract to a body builder who completes the cab of a cutaway with about 6 to 8 inches more room behind the B pillar... sometimes with a back window. U-Haul has spec'ed these all steel backs on certain Hi-Cube moving vans with both the 1975-1991 Ford van cabs, as well as the 1992-2002 Ford van cabs that you are interested in.

I have no contact information on the actual builder for U-Haul, but, again, at least you have 2 places where you can now narrow down your search. Not bad for 21 hits.

Old 03-26-2002, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Now see, THAT was helpful! Thank you so much for the help. I am definitely going to call up my Ford dealer and see. It may be too expensive, but I will just have to see. I would think that a reasonable price would be somewhere between $500 and $1,000, hopefully I can get one, for that. Thank you so much!

SCV
Old 03-26-2002, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

Try an Ambulance manufacturer. I do not know where you are located but if your around Jersey there is PL Custom in Manasquan.
1991 Ford PL Custom Ambulance Type III 7.3L Diesel. Photo Here Pioneer AM/FM/XM/CD Stereo. Code 3 lightbar, Whelen Strobes and flasher lights. Whelen flood lights on front, rear and sides. There bright enough to turn darkness into daylight. Siren with several tones plus electronic airhorn and PA. Custom 3" exhaust from manifolds back with a Gibson Superflow Muffler [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Dual alternators and dual sets of batteries. If I need a jumpstart all I do is push a button. On spot tire chains that install and de-install themselves at the flip of a switch. Also has air compressor on board along with suction unit and O2 system.

1972 Cadillac Hightop Ambulance by Superior Lucky if I get 10MPG
CompuDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2002, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just bought an 87 cutaway with a Supercab extention. I got it from Braun NW the westcoast manufacturer of Braun Ambulance conversion.They have the mold there for the earlier cab. They told me their counterpart in Minesota, Braun Industries, has the mold to make cab backs for late model cabs.Sounded like they would be in your price range. They had three that they had done for themselves and they looked real nice. Give them a call.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I own a 1990 E-350 ex U-Haul 17 foot moving van and a 1992 Braun 14 foot Super Chief ambulance. The U-Haul box and cab back wall are separated by an air gap of about 3 inches. When driving down the road, we discovered when stretched out full length across the front seats (persons up to 5'7" can sleep this way without taking out two screws for each door arm rest for additonal end clearance) that the forward projecting "mother's attic" forward box projection moves around noticeably compared to the position of the cab. Maybe that flexing is why U-Haul designed these with the gap between the cab and the rear box. The box and back wall are NOT steel. They are fiberglass. Mine now has 125K miles on it and it's still like new. Seems to me their design works well for what they wanted. But the interior box height of 7 feet 2 inches is way more than I need. I'm considering lowering the top by a foot or so to be more like U-Haul's earlier moving van box designs. Some were as little as 5'10". Think of how much wind drag each unnecessary addtitional inch of vertical projection adds. The U-Haul box is wider than the Braun ambulance. I'm considering ways to add a passage way between the U-Haul E-350 cab and the box. That gap makes the project much more demanding than it would be if this were a single wall design like the ambulance. Any suggestions as to flexible rubber accordian door material sources for filling the perimeter of this passageway gap would be appreciated.

Parking the U-Haul next to the Braun ambulance surely shows a wild contrast. By comparison, the Brawn is low and sleek appearing, only partly because the 1992 new cab body style appears sleeker. I've parked it next to other E-350 ambulances and it's larger than them, but it's shorter, narrower and less tall then the E-350 U-Hual. My 14 foot (not the much more common 12 foot designs) Braun is the largest E-350 ambulance I've ever been able to find, and is now only available on the 450 chassis, but it's small compared to the U-Haul. Not only is the U-Haul about 10 inches wider (just from memory), but the box stands much higher. Both have similarly low loading height. Both have raised floor projections to accomodate rear dual tire clearances. The cab to rear passageway in the Braun is wonderfully executed with a nicely fitting hinged door. I wish my Braun were as wide as the U-Haul, and I wish my U-Haul interior standing height were as low as the Braun, which is still plenty. Obviously the ambulance cab to box passageway is superior to anything that's possible with the U-Haul's 3 inch open space gap.
John
Lightest 1995 Standard Cab PowerStroke F-250 with factory "Camper Package," no AC, 5-speed, Conklin ParaSynthetic Oil with MolyLube, oversized 10-micron filter, Randy's Ring & Pinion aftermarket 3.07 ratio running in Royal Purple, Stanadyne always in fuel, tires @ 100 psi, nearly zero friction brake adjustments, 203 degree thermostat enables higher engine efficiency than 195 degree units, front end precisely aligned with minimal toe-in to reduce friction, lowest rolling friction F-250 I've seen. 2-axle trailer tires run 110 psi generating less rolling friction than lower pressure tires. Infrequently carried slide-in camper is an older all-hard-side Siera pop-up. Hard sides seem more secure than canvas connected pop-ups when up and never have canvas mold problems. Pop-ups push less wind than fixed height slide-ins.
LoveLearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2002, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lovelearn for the flexible rubber, try a Big Truck dealer. Such as Kenworth, Freightliner etc. or similar business, check out what they use to fit between the sleeper and cab.
Where did you pick up the uhaul? Thats what I am looking for.
smokin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.