'99 E350 V10 rear end noise? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2002, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'99 E350 V10 rear end noise?

I have 59K on our '99 E350 Chateau. We bought it used in 2000. We use it to tow our 32' travel (about #8200) trailer and as a second car when needed. About 3k miles ago, I started to hear a growl coming from the rear of the van. At first I thought it was tires and played with air pressure. Then I started to listen closely and I can hear a difference on the freeway when I let up on the throttle and coast for a second and then re-apply the throttle. I can't hear the noise at all untill I hit 30 mph. The rear end is 3.73 and I believe it's limited slip. I just had the diff. drained & refilled, and there is no change in the sound.

My question: Is this a rear end problem or a wheel bearing problem (how to tell the difference?)

If it's the rear end, is this a dealer issue or is an independent shop a better idea? (I need to go to the dealer for the fuel filler isolator recall anyway)

Anybody in the SF Bay Area know a good shop to go to?
<font color="blue"> </font color>
Thanks!
'01 Sprinter 303BH; 32', 4 bunks & superslide!
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2002, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: '99 E350 V10 rear end noise?

Tom,I have the same noise as you are experiencing and my dealer said that I shouldn't worry about it.
The noise was the lash between the gears as my dealer took the rear diff. cover off and inspected the gears,wheel bearings,etc.
They said that the only way to eliminate the noise is a new ring and pinion but that I might have the same noise return again in the future. I dodn't know if you can shim the van rear ends to reduce the noise or not as I didn't ask at the time.
All the Ford vans I've had in my business growled to a certain extent after time due to the gear surfaces wearing.
My 1994 Ford E-350 van has the same noise at 180,000 miles as compared to my 2000 van at 70,000 miles.
I guess it all depends on how tight they set up the rear diff. carrier assy. at the factory as it relates to when the noise starts to get noticed.

Next year my goal is to retrofit a Dana 80 rearend (3:54) with the heavy cut gears in my van to bulletize the rest of the drivetrain.

Any competent repair shop with good refferals should be able to distinguish where your rear end noise is originating from.

2000 E-350 Van,BTS Tranny,Custom Dana 80 Axle w/ ARB & 3:55 Gears, Swamp 175cc Injectors, Custom 4 Position Chip,TS Billet Intakes,W/Wheel,PS2000,Magnaflow 4" Exhaust,ITP Fuel Regulator,4 gauge pillar post,TTM,CTI Idle Controller,Amsoil Fluids,Evans,203 Thermostat,Coolant Filter,J&J S.S. Grill,Art Rotors,Custom Flame Job,Road Armor Bumper,Warn M15000 Winch,Bushwacker Flares,Bilstein Shocks,Centerlines,Maghytec Covers. dynoed at 345.5 rwhp
FUTURE MODS: Upgraded turbo, HD oil pump,Intercooler with water injection.

http://community.webshots.com/user/aceman116

04 Jeep Rubicon
RE 5.5" Long Arm Lift,1"body/eng.lift,Banks Header/ Exhaust,37" IROKS,Mickey Thomson Classic 2 beadlocks,Road Armor Bumpers,Warn 9500TI winch,Alloy Usa axleshafts,CTM u-joints,Nth degree oil pan skid,Clayton front high clearance brackets,Toys by Troy crossover steering,Poison Spyder Rock Sliders.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2002, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

Sounds like a pinion bearing noise. Is the van vibrating at all?.

Had the same thing happen on my Cadillac ambulance and the pinion seal went. Took it to the shop and they replaced the seal along with adjusting the pinion bearing load.

For now would just keep an eye on the seal and the noise level. if it increases then have it checked.

In addition you can drop the driveshaft and see if the center nut on the pinion is at the tourqe specs.
1991 Ford PL Custom Ambulance Type III 7.3L Diesel. Photo Here Pioneer AM/FM/XM/CD Stereo. Code 3 lightbar, Whelen Strobes and flasher lights. Whelen flood lights on front, rear and sides. There bright enough to turn darkness into daylight. Siren with several tones plus electronic airhorn and PA. Custom 3" exhaust from manifolds back with a Gibson Superflow Muffler [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Dual alternators and dual sets of batteries. If I need a jumpstart all I do is push a button. On spot tire chains that install and de-install themselves at the flip of a switch. Also has air compressor on board along with suction unit and O2 system.

1972 Cadillac Hightop Ambulance by Superior Lucky if I get 10MPG
CompuDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2002, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Both times that I have heard a noise like that from a differential I ended up buying a ring and pinion gear set with bearings. One vehicle was a Ford, the other a Dodge, my 98 PSD van started a noise like that and it turned out to be a pinion bearing, I had it replaced, end of noise.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

All-

Thanks for the ideas. I guess the question I'd ask next is:
Am I hurting anything while continuing to drive the van?
If it is the pinion bearing what happens? Does it sieze up, blow up or what? How much is a pinion bearing to replace?

Same questions for the ring &amp; pinion gear set. What happens &amp; how much to fix?
Old 10-07-2002, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

The seal would go probaly go first although not sure then your looking at it blowing gear oil all over the place. Soon after that the pinion bearing along with the rest of the stuff will start heading south fast.

Why wait?. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] why not just get it checked out now, it could save a lot of money and downtime since nothing seems to be damaged so far.

By the way when mine blew the seal I towed it on my flatbed trailer to the shop. I was not taking any chances on doing more damage.
1991 Ford PL Custom Ambulance Type III 7.3L Diesel. Photo Here Pioneer AM/FM/XM/CD Stereo. Code 3 lightbar, Whelen Strobes and flasher lights. Whelen flood lights on front, rear and sides. There bright enough to turn darkness into daylight. Siren with several tones plus electronic airhorn and PA. Custom 3" exhaust from manifolds back with a Gibson Superflow Muffler [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Dual alternators and dual sets of batteries. If I need a jumpstart all I do is push a button. On spot tire chains that install and de-install themselves at the flip of a switch. Also has air compressor on board along with suction unit and O2 system.

Old 10-09-2002, 12:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Gotcha- I'll have some one look at it asap.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

The next step in the rear end noise saga...

So, I did some extra research on the 'net and found a couple of sites with troubleshooting charts keyed by sound.

Both charts agreed that a low-pitched growl starting around 20 mph was probably carrier bearings.

This morning I took the van to a local differential service shop and spent some time talking to the owner. Based on his look-see of the diff and my description of the noise, he agrees that the carrier bearings are the likely culprit.

However, because the sound changes if the van is accelerating or coasting, he believes the pinion bearing may be gone as well. That COULD lead to replacing the ring &amp; pinion if they are worn...

If that happens, I'll probably change from 3.73 to 4.10 and improve my towing engine speed range a bit.

The Van goes in on Monday. If anyone has any other comments, let me know! <font color="blue"> </font color>
Old 10-12-2002, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Re: The next step in the rear end noise saga...

What was the website that you found this chart at?. Maybe others can use it.

Old 10-14-2002, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

SO-

I got the Van back this afternoon along with a boxfull of nifty oily parts. I figure I paid about $80/pound for them....

We now have a 4.10 ratio in the back (in place of the 3.73), and I am imformed that the LS clutch packs are nice and tight.

I had two problems: the pinion was moving back and forth due to a smashed flat spacer and the carrier bearings were shot. The moving pinion made a new pinion &amp; ring gear necessary, so we went for the 4.10.

The drive home was oh-so-quiet! I can actually hear wind noise again!

AND the speedo seems to read fast. so, after reading what I could about rear end ratios &amp; programming things &amp; speedo, I still have a couple of questions:

I think the mechanical speedo &amp; odo in my van is driven by a cable from the transmission.

If you change tire size and therefor tire diameter, then you need to change the gear ratio (at the tranny) so the Speedo &amp; odo read correctly.

If you change the rear-end ratio, you need to do the same thing.

Does the engine control system need to know what the rear end ratio is? Or does it get it from the Speedo?

The "pencil gear" that drives the speedo-is this an off the shelf thing at a dealer? Can I tell him what rear end ratio I have and how many tire revs per mile my tires give and can he "select" the right gear?

Help!

BTW- here is the URL for one of the troubleshooting guides I found:

http://www.ring-pinion.com/diagnosing.shtml
Old 10-14-2002, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Tom,I'am glad to hear the van is back together in one piece.
That website is also very informative,thank you!

You can search the forums for the answers to your questions or some other vanners may have the answer your looking for.
I'am keeping an ear on my differential for now and hope it lasts until next spring.

Take it easy,
Tom
2000 E-350 Van,BTS Tranny,Custom Dana 80 Axle w/ ARB & 3:55 Gears, Swamp 175cc Injectors, Custom 4 Position Chip,TS Billet Intakes,W/Wheel,PS2000,Magnaflow 4" Exhaust,ITP Fuel Regulator,4 gauge pillar post,TTM,CTI Idle Controller,Amsoil Fluids,Evans,203 Thermostat,Coolant Filter,J&J S.S. Grill,Art Rotors,Custom Flame Job,Road Armor Bumper,Warn M15000 Winch,Bushwacker Flares,Bilstein Shocks,Centerlines,Maghytec Covers. dynoed at 345.5 rwhp
FUTURE MODS: Upgraded turbo, HD oil pump,Intercooler with water injection.

http://community.webshots.com/user/aceman116

04 Jeep Rubicon
RE 5.5" Long Arm Lift,1"body/eng.lift,Banks Header/ Exhaust,37" IROKS,Mickey Thomson Classic 2 beadlocks,Road Armor Bumpers,Warn 9500TI winch,Alloy Usa axleshafts,CTM u-joints,Nth degree oil pan skid,Clayton front high clearance brackets,Toys by Troy crossover steering,Poison Spyder Rock Sliders.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2002, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was trying to figure out how "off" my speedo was as a result of the new 4.10 I had installed, so I checked it out against a cop radar trailer. Surprisingly, there was no "off"! My speedo was right on!

Then I remember I still had the "old" gears, so I counted the teeth. Pinion-10 teeth
Ring-41 teeth

I had 4.10 out back the whole time!

I have no idea why I thought I had 3.73-I think that's what the papers said when we bought the van (used)!

Oh well. The van is quiet again, it still tows like a bat out of hell and I don't have to feel concerned about the rig weighing close to the tow limit-10,000# is a long way away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.